Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums that totally passed you by

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
A top 10 album in many people’s collection I’d think?
Yep. I’ve seen it mentioned in many peoples top whatever’s over the years and read about it in books about music in Liverpool and Manchester and how influential it was, again over many year.

Usually I seek those sort of records out but I only got around to buying this very recently. Like earlier this month!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Dark side of the moon mate had it and raved about it I heard it was not impressed never purchased it

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Dark side of the moon mate had it and raved about it I heard it was not impressed never purchased it
I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like DSOTM :smile:

Up there with men who have beards (I do) or wear brown shoes with a blue suit! ( which seems to be de rigueur these days so I don’t trust many people)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh, in that vein, I'll throw in Dark Side of the Moon.
I've heard it several times but have never owned it, I don't think I've ever reached the end without falling asleep at some point.
People rave about DSOTM but I thought it was a load of old pony. I did have one revelation about it. Many, many years ago I was visiting a mate at Keele where there was sod all to do apart from indulging in exotic wares from the local dealer. My mate warned it was strong stuff and he wasn't wrong - while we were well spaced out, someone put on DSOTM and we were all in raptures about it - it was the most profound album ever, how had we missed it etc

I listened to it again when I was straight and, nah, it really is a load of old pony.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
It's my favourite album of all time. I can't imagine how amazing it must be to be hearing it totally fresh for the first time ever after so many years!
how about listening to it for the first time ever?! ... back in the day a girlfriend liked the Cure and I remember (just) seeing them in Glastonbury either 93 or 95, they were very good...
I've never listed to a Cure Album in full... this will be my first.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
People rave about DSOTM but I thought it was a load of old pony. I did have one revelation about it. Many, many years ago I was visiting a mate at Keele where there was sod all to do apart from indulging in exotic wares from the local dealer. My mate warned it was strong stuff and he wasn't wrong - while we were well spaced out, someone put on DSOTM and we were all in raptures about it - it was the most profound album ever, how had we missed it etc

I listened to it again when I was straight and, nah, it really is a load of old pony.
Well, clearly you need to do more drugs in that case. :lolol:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

Bobby Womack's The Poet. To my shame completely passed me by in early 1980s when it was first released when I was still trying to pretend the entrails of punk and new wave were where it's at.

Given to me as a present about 5 years later and I loved it then and still do. Proper soul music.

And I was lucky enough to see Bobby live at the Manchester Apollo the day after our Play Off final win in Cardiff. That was some weekend!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Had the absolute pleasure of seeing them, Arthur Lee and his young adoring musician band, play at the Canterbury Festival around 20 years ago at Mount Ephraim. A very emotional experience. It was so good - note perfect, and some of my old pals were in tears.
I saw the Glastonbury performance of that tour a year or two back (probably thanks to Youtube) - and I was in tears too. I hadn't even known that he'd finally got a band together that could deliver live what he recorded about fifty years before.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I had sort of given up on Big Bob and the Cure by ‘89 but May have to invest in Disintegration.

I always thought that there were at least 12 very good tracks on Sandinista by the Clash but a load of filler as well. Think I am now of the opinion that of the 36 tracks well over 20 are worthy of being The Clash.

My daughter played me some Colourbox early last year. I’d been aware of them in the 80s but had never given them a listen. Love them now, buying up their back catalogue. Eclectic and well ahead of their time, IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The collected works of Radiohead. And Elbow. In fact they continue to totally pass me by to this day :bigwave:
All I can tell you about Elbow is the singer leant or sat on my Glastonbury picnic table which promptly collapsed with him almost taking my gazebo and tent with it.

I wasn’t there at the time but returned to find my semi-demolished camp . A neighbour told me that the BBC were looking for somewhere to record an acoustic thingy and chose my area. Not overly impressed; I have a recording of it somewhere.

Last edited:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
A classic album I still haven’t got into despite quite a few listenings is Blue by Joni Mitchell, her voice irritates the hell out of me
Yeah, Joni is quite a marmite artist I think, and a lot of it is to do with her voice. I have a very strong reaction to it at times which seems as much to do with physics as emotions. (Although some of her music makes me nostalgic for a time and place I didn’t live in.) I actually have to be careful where I listen to Court and Spark because it can have me in floods!

Some of the songs on Blue provoke a similar reaction, but the album has too much autoharp for me - not my favourite instrument to listen to.

I know some people who cannot stand her warblings though 🙂

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
All I can tell you about Elbow is the singer leant or sat on my Glastonbury camping table which promptly collapsed with him almost taking my gazebo and tent with it.

I wasn’t there at the time but returned to find my semi-demolished camp . A neighbour told me that the BBC were looking for somewhere to record an acoustic thingy and chose my area. Not overly impressed; I have a recording of it somewhere.
Unplugged at Tubthumper, sounds fantastic!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unplugged at Tubthumper, sounds fantastic!
Ha. I’ll try and find the video recording of this momentous occasion. To be fair to the BBC they left me a contact email address, they said sorry and sent me the recording.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I went to a Jack Jones concert at the Dome maybe 1971 and he sang a glorious song by a new singer - songwriter called Carly Simon and it was called! "Thats The Way I Heard It Should Be" .This was featured on the "Anticipation" album and paved the way for the "No Secrets" blockbusting album.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
461 Ocean Boulevard by Eric Clapton. Although I recognised him as an all time great guitarist there are only so many blues songs I can listen to without getting bored by the sameness of them to my ears. More than two songs is too many for me.

I just assumed this album would be the same blues songs so took a few years before I even listened to it. Not a bad album but not sure I’d call it a classic even now.

Much prefer Clapton Unplugged

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here