Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums that totally passed you by

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Stevie Wonder. As a teen I had him down as the guy who did saccharine nonsense like “Happy Birthday” and “Ebony and Ivory”.

Then my brother got Mrs GB Innervisions as a present one year and we both loved it. Going back over his career I then found Songs in the Key of Life which is even better, although I could live without Isn’t She Lovely which may have started the cheesy rot.
Talking Book, Inner Visions, Fulfillingness First Finale and Songs in the Key of Life are probably when he was at his peak imo but I have a lot of his 60s stuff too and also love Hotter than July. Saw him live once - brilliant - he is one of the few who genuinely merit the words musical genius

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maggot Brain with Eddie Hazel didn't think I'd like FUNK!
I was a late comer to this album as well. I read about the guitar solo on the title track.....and now have a lovely vinyl repress. It's a stunning album.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I was a late comer to this album as well. I read about the guitar solo on the title track.....and now have a lovely vinyl repress. It's a stunning album.
One of my favourite memories of Glastonbury (aswell as a big regret) was listening to this song played on the West Holts (?) stage while I walked the long walk over to The Park. Several times I stopped and thought, should I go back or on?! Typical Glastonbury magic. So even though I missed seeing Funkadelic (not with Eddie Hazel of course, who died in 1992) it is still a favourite memory hearing this. I'd never heard it before and sought it out on cd after. Some of the greatest guitar playing ever.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There’s a lot of artists and albums which passed me by at the time. Bowie and Talking Heads are two big names. Whilst I was familiar with their hits, and also their history due to reading a lot about music, I didn’t know their albums that well. @Machiavelli mentioned Love Supreme, this is an album I have only just recently listened to. Similar with Alice Contrane’s Journey in Satchidananda and Sonny Rollins The Bridge (I am new to this genre.)
Interestingly enough, I've only just got my hands on Journey in Satchdianada, and mightily glad I have. Looking at the albums named on the first page of this thread, they're either Dire (Straits) or didn't pass me by.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not a huge fan of music anymore, very rarely listen to it and was never particularly fan of The Beatles, in fact they annoy me :)

But I came very late to the B side of Abbey Road and blimey that's good.
I'm yet to hear a better side of an album than the b-side of Abbey Road

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Neil Young is another. It was only a short while ago, when he returned his back-catalogue to Spotify after withdrawing it, I listened to my first album of his.

Interestingly, I instantly recognized about 3 or 4 album covers.
FYI, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is right up there as one of my very favourite albums. I discovered it in my mid-20s at the same time as reading Grapes of Wrath, and the two remain right up there, while the combination still resonates.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stevie Wonder. As a teen I had him down as the guy who did saccharine nonsense like “Happy Birthday” and “Ebony and Ivory”.

Then my brother got Mrs GB Innervisions as a present one year and we both loved it. Going back over his career I then found Songs in the Key of Life which is even better, although I could live without Isn’t She Lovely which may have started the cheesy rot.
Yes, that trio of albums he wrote in about six months are certainly the best trio of albums written in six months.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I still have Innervisions on vinyl...well worn and brilliant

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A couple of times on tour. I played this to our singer/guitarist whilst driving between gigs somewhere oop north during the mid 90s (he was probably in his late 40s). He immediately bought about a dozen copies that he gave to all his friends and family.

And another tour, early 2000s and travelling with our guitarist playing this

A week after we got back, he turned up with a huge Gretsch semi acoustic in white and gold and has had a great selection of Gretsch semi acoustics amongst his collection ever since :wink:

A while back you mentioned another Miles Davis album, which has passed me by. Which one was it? (I have c6, all studio ones.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interestingly enough, I've only just got my hands on Journey in Satchdianada, and mightily glad I have. Looking at the albums named on the first page of this thread, they're either Dire (Straits) or didn't pass me by.
I was in the jazz listening bar I frequent and it was being played a few weeks back, first time I'd heard it. It's quite special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here