Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums that totally passed you by

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Were you brought up around parents who adored pop music, who had R1 or R2 on? I know a few people who also aren’t, they say lamenting, that their Dads didn’t like music, another that their boarding school banned all music, radios, record decks.

Our house was very liberal, I was watching Parkinson, The News at a very very early age :), but my parents weren't into pop music themselves.

My old man was a huge cricket fan and my mum was an incredible cook.

We found our own music, nothing was banned. I was very into music in my 20s when I found myself at the arse-end of Madchester. I got seriously into was known then as "indie" (my age) and was a Reading regular.

What turned me off (pretty much for life) was finding myself afterwards working in Camden right in the middle of "Cool Britannia" / "Brit Pop". My job at the time was also running a tape library for MTV.

In my mind afterwards, it became supermarket product. Never missed being really into music, I get greater joy from finding something new to cook with.

I recently found some never seen before middle eastern garlic stock cubes in a back street food shop in Liverpool and to be frank, I've had as much pleasure from them as I did seeing Nirvana live :)

In fact I'm very similar to Harry Wilson's tackle in that respect. Rather than hunting out an obscure 80s electronic band he'd never heard of, I hunt down obscure stock cubes.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
My son bought me Disintegration by The Cure for my birthday last week. This totally passed me by. It came out when I was listening to no music, newish dad, new job looming, first house (the one I'm still in) just found but not bought, but plus the marriage, ahem, disintegrating. Crazy times.

Bloody hell. What did I miss? It is stunning. OMG.

Have you recently stumbled into something you really ought to have embraced years ago?

It's my favourite album of all time. I can't imagine how amazing it must be to be hearing it totally fresh for the first time ever after so many years!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My son bought me Disintegration by The Cure for my birthday last week. This totally passed me by. It came out when I was listening to no music, newish dad, new job looming, first house (the one I'm still in) just found but not bought, but plus the marriage, ahem, disintegrating. Crazy times.

Have you recently stumbled into something you really ought to have embraced years ago?

That's an album that has a statement of intention to kick off.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Welcome friend.

It is that good.

You are not deluded.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Well I’ve just bought that CD for my ad hoc Saturday morning music delivery. Cheers!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Neil Young is another. It was only a short while ago, when he returned his back-catalogue to Spotify after withdrawing it, I listened to my first album of his.

Interestingly, I instantly recognized about 3 or 4 album covers.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Lots of Dylan albums are quoted as Classics but I dislike his voice so much have never bothered with them. My loss I suppose...
100% imo

Have you heard Modern Times? A brilliant album and well worth a listen if not

Taster tracks. I get lost in Dylan’s lyrics and love the way he delivers them

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stevie Wonder. As a teen I had him down as the guy who did saccharine nonsense like “Happy Birthday” and “Ebony and Ivory”.

Then my brother got Mrs GB Innervisions as a present one year and we both loved it. Going back over his career I then found Songs in the Key of Life which is even better, although I could live without Isn’t She Lovely which may have started the cheesy rot.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Difficult to pin it down to one of his particular albums but another artist who passed me by until more recent years is John Martyn.

I saw him for the first time at Brighton art college, a smokey basement, then in London a few times.
'Bless the Weather ' was the first of his I bought, but Solid Air was better known in the end.
In the early 70s Eric Clapton said of him: "John is so far ahead of the rest of us in technique and song writing ".

'Sweet Little Mysteries ' is an anthology of his best stuff, double CD.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's my favourite album of all time. I can't imagine how amazing it must be to be hearing it totally fresh for the first time ever after so many years!
I have said before this is the absolute beauty of music, there is always something to discover and and hear for the first time. Always. I am past 50 and consider myself reasonably well “listened” but I still find gems every year and this thread has probably produced a few more for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In fact I'm very similar to Harry Wilson's tackle in that respect. Rather than hunting out an obscure 80s electronic band he'd never heard of, I hunt down obscure stock cubes.
Stock cube, Aitken and Waterman?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oxo-asis?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here