Clarification from Paul Barber on Dick Knight Selling his shares

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What he's doing now and what he's done in the past are mutually exclusive events. DK will always be a club legend, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he does. This publicity stunt looks like it's backfiring on him in a big way, time will tell just how ill thought out it is.

If its backfiring on him, I think it says more about some of our fans now than it does about DK

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
As far as I'm concerned there are a small number of posters on this thread who have a shocking lack of respect and perspective. Any true BHAFC fan knows DK is a legend and there is nothing he can possibly do to tarnish his reputation. The man is a hero. It is one thing putting up £125m when you have billions in the bank, but it is quite another putting your entire life and a far greater proportion of your wealth into a football club when nobody else wants to know. I am stunned to read so many people whining about DK going to lengths to promote his book. Have you not realised how releasing a book works? It is generally a good idea to let people know it is available. It is also a good idea to reveal one or two snippets of information that whet the appetite of your potential audience and grab some headlines. Just look at Sir Alex only a few weeks ago, or Sven the other day. DK is not as well known as them, so using every marketing trick in the book is a shrewd move. He has played a blinder today and his book will do well. His is a fascinating story and it will be a hit not only in Sussex. I read Simon Jordan's autobiography on holiday in the summer and it was brilliant (despite my obvious loathing of his club), and I consider DK's story to be comparable in terms of appeal and readership but actually more interesting and amusing than his.

One other thing, to all those who make sarcastic comments about DK milking the money out of this book, may I just ask why on earth that is a problem? I'm sure he does want to sell lots of copies and make plenty of money, that is generally the point of writing a book. But more importantly than that, after he paid out several million pounds to keep BHAFC going over the years, I think a good return on his book is the least he deserves. Even if the book was rubbish (which I am convinced it won't be), I'd more than happily hand over £15 to buy it anyway as a token of my appreciation. It's a pretty small price to pay to recognise the achievements of a man without whom thousands of us wouldn't be going to football every Saturday afternoon.

yup, another in total agreement with you

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Albion fans warn to buy a share in the Albion and stick it on the wall I say go for it. If they want to buy 100, 500 or 1,000 shares in the club because they think it will be an investment worth having should we be promoted, then they need to be counselled out of making such a decision.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Complete Badgers comment above is THE comment on this entire matter. Knight is the only man I'm prepared to say I like Dick for.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As far as I'm concerned there are a small number of posters on this thread who have a shocking lack of respect and perspective. Any true BHAFC fan knows DK is a legend and there is nothing he can possibly do to tarnish his reputation. The man is a hero. It is one thing putting up £125m when you have billions in the bank, but it is quite another putting your entire life and a far greater proportion of your wealth into a football club when nobody else wants to know. I am stunned to read so many people whining about DK going to lengths to promote his book. Have you not realised how releasing a book works? It is generally a good idea to let people know it is available. It is also a good idea to reveal one or two snippets of information that whet the appetite of your potential audience and grab some headlines. Just look at Sir Alex only a few weeks ago, or Sven the other day. DK is not as well known as them, so using every marketing trick in the book is a shrewd move. He has played a blinder today and his book will do well. His is a fascinating story and it will be a hit not only in Sussex. I read Simon Jordan's autobiography on holiday in the summer and it was brilliant (despite my obvious loathing of his club), and I consider DK's story to be comparable in terms of appeal and readership but actually more interesting and amusing than his.

One other thing, to all those who make sarcastic comments about DK milking the money out of this book, may I just ask why on earth that is a problem? I'm sure he does want to sell lots of copies and make plenty of money, that is generally the point of writing a book. But more importantly than that, after he paid out several million pounds to keep BHAFC going over the years, I think a good return on his book is the least he deserves. Even if the book was rubbish (which I am convinced it won't be), I'd more than happily hand over £15 to buy it anyway as a token of my appreciation. It's a pretty small price to pay to recognise the achievements of a man without whom thousands of us wouldn't be going to football every Saturday afternoon.

I was going to post on here but there is no point now. Post of the year. I agree with everything you say. People have short memories. DK is the greatest Chairman BHAFC have ever had.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Any true BHAFC fan knows DK is a legend and there is nothing he can possibly do to tarnish his reputation.

TCB's post is articulate and generally well-argued and represents the view of many an Albion fan, but the piece I've emboldened above is surely the crux of the matter.

It simply can't be true that there is nothing DK could do that would tarnish his reputation. Look at the fall from grace of the TV celebrity kiddie fiddlers - I can't believe that you would argue that their reputations remain intact. If you concede that point, then the disagreements between the various points of view come down to "what does DK have to do to tarnish his reputation?"

For many, DK's actions so far do not come close to tarnishing his reputation. For others, however, DK appearing to spite his successor seems at best petty, and at worst destabilising. That group of people find that behaviour reprehensible.

As a fan base, I say we should live and let live. People hold different views - we all need to deal with it.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
TCB's post is articulate and generally well-argued and represents the view of many an Albion fan, but the piece I've emboldened above is surely the crux of the matter.

It simply can't be true that there is nothing DK could do that would tarnish his reputation. Look at the fall from grace of the TV celebrity kiddie fiddlers - I can't believe that you would argue that their reputations remain intact. If you concede that point, then the disagreements between the various points of view come down to "what does DK have to do to tarnish his reputation?"

For many, DK's actions so far do not come close to tarnishing his reputation. For others, however, DK appearing to spite his successor seems at best petty, and at worst destabilising. That group of people find that behaviour reprehensible.

As a fan base, I say we should live and let live. People hold different views - we all need to deal with it.

Plugging a book or being a paedophile. I can't see the link myself ? It is a very odd argument to make. Dick's reputation will always be intact for me and he is worth 1000 Barber's and always will be imo. Bloom had the cash, Knight had the soul and vision and spent a decade of his life, in his twilight years to deliver Falmer. He will always be the number one for me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think people need to remember that DK's background is in advertising and this share issue is nothing more than advertising for a book that is unlikely to trouble the national book charts! I suspect he very well knew about his obligations as a shareholder to the other shareholders so at best it is a publicity stunt. However, it is also clearly a dig at the current board and probably in particular TB which, no matter how high your regard DK, can only be seen as detrimental to the image of the club. The plan never to have one person in control is a fantastic ideal but wholly unrealistic. As for the shares, I'm all for fans having a link in the boardroom but in TB we have a fan who actually owns the club and I suspect many of the remaining shareholders are long term fans.

DK has legendary status but that doesn't make him impervious to criticism.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Don't often agree with you TCB, but another big fat THIS! You cannot take away what DK means to this club, it simply would not be here if it were not for him. He is by no means perfect, but he is a true fan, and a true fans' man.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Plugging a book and being a paedo. I can't see the link myself ?

I am simply pointing out that there would be things DK could do that would tarnish his reputation.

Reading this thread and the others, it seems to me that the people who are complaining about what DK seems to be doing are concerned inter alia about:

1. Why has DK gone public without first telling the club that he wishes to sell his shares?
2. Does he intend to ignore the requirement in the Articles to give the club 28 days notice of intent to sell his shares? If so, why?
3. If he is so keen to have fan ownership, why did he not put it into practice during his 12 years of Chairmanship?

To those people, it appears petty &/or vindictive, and rather more than simply plugging a book.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Do you think you may have taken that statement a bit literally? It's pretty clear from TCB's post that the context of DK not tarnishing his reputation is within his actions within the confines of normal behaviour. Did he really need to caveat that statement with examples such as you have indicated!? I mean really!! :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Absolutely this.

Unless you know what your talking about (which you clearly don't) better not to make yourself appear like the font of all knowledge with regard to the deviousness of Archer and his cronies. Harry Bloom was nothing to do with that scenario and was as distraught as we all were at its outcome....and I do know firsthand what I'm talking about.

I stand to be corrected but Harry Bloom was never on the board during Archers time. So clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't think anyone, not me at least is saying Dick Knight is tarnishing his image by doing this. I was simply posting answers to questions to Paul Barber so that people could see some of the facts not the spin.

At one point yesterday people were talking about fans owning 10% of the club, NSC forming a fans consortium, Paul Samrah to represent us all. The reality is it is 1.54% of the club, you can only apply if you buy the book and the fill the form out and Dick agrees you have the right credentials, and then you must pay £1 for a share arguably currently worth nothing.

Personally I think that does nothing to the image of Dick Knight, the man that saved Brighton and Hove Albion. I still admire him for doing what he did.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Do you think you may have taken that statement a bit literally? It's pretty clear from TCB's post that the context of DK not tarnishing his reputation is within his actions within the confines of normal behaviour. Did he really need to caveat that statement with examples such as you have indicated!? I mean really!! :facepalm:

No, perhaps not.

In my second post in reply to US's response, I cite three concerns that fans have said worries them about DK's behaviour, all three of which are well within the bounds of normality; but which, to them, go considerably beyond plugging a book and in to the territory of (at least) having a pop at the current regime.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think people need to remember that DK's background is in advertising and this share issue is nothing more than advertising for a book that is unlikely to trouble the national book charts! I suspect he very well knew about his obligations as a shareholder to the other shareholders so at best it is a publicity stunt. However, it is also clearly a dig at the current board and probably in particular TB which, no matter how high your regard DK, can only be seen as detrimental to the image of the club. The plan never to have one person in control is a fantastic ideal but wholly unrealistic. As for the shares, I'm all for fans having a link in the boardroom but in TB we have a fan who actually owns the club and I suspect many of the remaining shareholders are long term fans.

DK has legendary status but that doesn't make him impervious to criticism.

Their are fans in the boardroom already. What a sale of shares would do would give more fans the chance to participate in an AGM and hold the club to account. That's a little more desirable that fans holding the club to account via chatrooms and "sack the board' chants which usually precede matters having got way out of hand.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This this this this this

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No, perhaps not.

In my second post in reply to US's response, I cite three concerns that fans have said worries them about DK's behaviour, all three of which are well within the bounds of normality; but which, to them, go considerably beyond plugging a book and in to the territory of (at least) having a pop at the current regime.

Why is it a problem if Dick is having a pop ? It is what keeps things healthy and does not allow a monopoly of thought.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
At one point yesterday people were talking about fans owning 10% of the club, NSC forming a fans consortium, Paul Samrah to represent us all. The reality is it is 1.54% of the club, you can only apply if you buy the book and the fill the form out and Dick agrees you have the right credentials, and then you must pay £1 for a share arguably currently worth nothing.

Personally I think that does nothing to the image of Dick Knight, the man that saved Brighton and Hove Albion. I still admire him for doing what he did.

Argee totally with this, but IMHO, his actions are very derogatory to Tony Bloom and what he has done since taking over from Dick.
Yes Dick saved the club, but Tony has rebuilt the club.
We needed both, and are very fortunate to have had two great men in charge after the previous ****holes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports