Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarification from Paul Barber on Dick Knight Selling his shares

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
A villa in TORRELMOLINOS ?

In which the cup final money from 83 (not 1991, when DEAN WILKINS (gurgle!!!!) scored the last ever Albion goal at Wemberley) is probably kept is a secret VUALT along with the money from the sale of TORRIENZO

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Having now completed reading the book, I'm struggling to understand how anybody can come away with any conclusion other than we are very lucky to have had the last two club chairmen. Both suited to the time and purpose that they took over the club.

Also I fund it difficult to see that either of them are viewed on here as (in equal measures) beyond reproach or beyond redemption.

It's a bit like Paul Barber. Clearly from an accountants viewpoint, doing a great job. It's his handling of some other matters (including some fans and also nsc) that leave him open to comment. I wonder if Dick received a phone call for daring to say that Gus and the CEOs relationship wasn't a good one and a catalyst for what followed?

Feb 14, 2010
Having now completed reading the book, I'm struggling to understand how anybody can come away with any conclusion other than we are very lucky to have had the last two club chairmen. Both suited to the time and purpose that they took over the club.

Also I fund it difficult to see that either of them are viewed on here as (in equal measures) beyond reproach or beyond redemption.

It's a bit like Paul Barber. Clearly from an accountants viewpoint, doing a great job. It's his handling of some other matters (including some fans and also nsc) that leave him open to comment. I wonder if Dick received a phone call for daring to say that Gus and the CEOs relationship wasn't a good one and a catalyst for what followed?

I have not read the book but I totally agree that we couldn't have had better chairman in both Knight and Bloom. What is even better is that both are true fans, having supported the club genuinely from the terraces / stands. My two penneth is that Knight should have told his story but in a way that recognises that Bloom's time had come and whilst he might have been sad about stepping down, Bloom did things for the club that he couldn't. That is not to say that Knight's legacy is any less than Bloom's.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I have not read the book but I totally agree that we couldn't have had better chairman in both Knight and Bloom. What is even better is that both are true fans, having supported the club genuinely from the terraces / stands. My two penneth is that Knight should have told his story but in a way that recognises that Bloom's time had come and whilst he might have been sad about stepping down, Bloom did things for the club that he couldn't. That is not to say that Knight's legacy is any less than Bloom's.

That's exactly how I read it.

In fact there is very little in the book about the relationship between TB and DK - TB is hardly mentioned.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's exactly how I read it.

In fact there is very little in the book about the relationship between TB and DK - TB is hardly mentioned.

Well you are not really likely to mention someone you resent

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Well you are not really likely to mention someone you resent

You really need to stop commenting on this thread until you have read the book, because now you are sounding like an absolute dick. Three different people with totally different perspectives have now posted on this thread that they have fully read the book an d do not think that the book is a rambling of bitterness.

That, I suggest, is now exactly what you are doing.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Just finished it and agree that when the Argus publicised sections are read within the whole context of the book that they come across as less bitterness than disappointment, which, in trying to put myself in Dick's shoes, is understandable to a point. I'm still not convinced by the timing, the way the share thing has been handled, and think a bit more positive stuff on TB would have given it a more balanced feel, but hey ho. Oh, and I still think the Perry 'Brutus' comment is overly emotive and uncalled for. All in all an interesting read though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Perry/'Et tu Brute?' comments when Bloom took over is a little odd and does pre-suppose that DK had a good idea that it was on the cards. It would have been a lot more apt with the AITC and DK 'stepping down' from the AITC board. In my opinion, the AITC is an amazing success story (actually - I think it's nothing short of miraculous) and DK can rightly be very proud of what it's achieved. I don't blame him at all for feeling betrayed by the club with specific reference to the AITC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here