Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarification from Paul Barber on Dick Knight Selling his shares

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A conspiracy theory.

Dick knows that he will not be able to sell his shares to fans but says it anyway = day of book launch gets 100 times the publicity it would have without this offer.

Withdraws offer later in the week and blames the club.

Job done.

(by the way I love Dick!)

exactly, but we're not worried about your personal preferences!!

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
One bloke replies to an email, he goes up in your estimations. Another bloke saves our football club and then completely relinquishes his shares, first to get the stadium built and then to help the fans have a voice. He goes down in your estimations.

If he hadn't given up his shares and position, the stadium would have never been built.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are plenty of businesses out there with plebs like us owning shares. Go take a look in the ftse.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is that the Uncle who was on the board when we were sold down the river by Archer, Bellotti and Stanley?

Sorry but you cannot tar Ray Bloom with the same brush as Archer , Stanley and Bellotti.
From the Argus , 2nd June 2008 :- Ray, like his dad before him, stayed in the background. He has never courted publicity but became embroiled in controversy during the vilified regime of Bill Archer and Greg Stanley.

He reportedly refused to sign a joint statement by other disaffected directors condemning Archer, which led some supporters to believe he was party to the plan to sell the Goldstone. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ray breaking his silence on the subject 12 years on, revealed: "What I do know is that I stayed involved longer than the others, trying to stop the ground from being sold.

"I had lengthy discussions at the time with Hove Council, who we were trying to get to help with funds. I was also being misled by Bill Archer, who was telling me the ground wasn't being sold when, in fact, he had done a deal. It was only when I knew about that that I resigned from the Board. The other directors had loans in the club and every one of them took their money out.

"It was a matter of principle for me not to take anything out from the proceeds of the ground. I would rather have lost it. The loss of the ground was the saddest thing, not only in my period at the club, but in the club's history."

Bloom, his fortune made primarily in the exhibitions industry, did not hesitate when invited back onto the Board by Knight two years later. The £90,000 he left in the club has increased since the Gillingham groundshare and through the Withdean era to hundreds of thousands for a minority shareholding.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The initial stage of purchasing the shares is only as an ‘Expression Of Interest’. It also means he has made his intentions public knowledge rather than going to the club first, and where if they had said no, it would have been the end of it and we would have been none the wiser.

The club can still say no, but it would be a public no.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
One bloke replies to an email, he goes up in your estimations. Another bloke saves our football club and then completely relinquishes his shares, first to get the stadium built and then to help the fans have a voice. He goes down in your estimations.

What he's doing now and what he's done in the past are mutually exclusive events. DK will always be a club legend, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he does. This publicity stunt looks like it's backfiring on him in a big way, time will tell just how ill thought out it is.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
The initial stage of purchasing the shares is only as an ‘Expression Of Interest’. It also means he has made his intentions public knowledge rather than going to the club first, and where if they had said no, it would have been the end of it and we would have been none the wiser.

That is correct neither DK or the club have done anything incorrect it is just an expression of interest once known how many if are interested in possibly buying some shares a formal 28 day request can be put into the club

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Typical Tight.

Thinks we are still run by a village hall committee!

At least if he ditches his shares it will be the end of his involvement in our Club, and we can move onwards and upwards, without his bitter comments seeing the light of day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That sounds about right. It certainly makes sense.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Typical Tight.

Thinks we are still run by a village hall committee!

At least if he ditches his shares it will be the end of his involvement in our Club, and we can move onwards and upwards, without his bitter comments seeing the light of day.
Dick will still have the honorary position of Life President. He only has to retain a single share to attend the AGM

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
we can move onwards and upwards, without his bitter comments seeing the light of day.

Yikes, my irony-o-meter has just hit the red

irony-meter.jpg

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
A conspiracy theory.

Dick knows that he will not be able to sell his shares to fans but says it anyway = day of book launch gets 100 times the publicity it would have without this offer.

Withdraws offer later in the week and blames the club.

Job done.

(by the way I love Dick!)

IF the club says 'no' then the only reason they will have to do so is to stop shares being owned by the common and garden fan - if this is the outcome then I will be very disappointed in the other shareholders and ultimately TB, the major share holder.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
With regards to the book and the shares - does it actally say that only applications using the form will be accepted - perhaps someone who has a copy of the book could clarify.

I only have the Kindle version and there is no mention of the shares in that.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I suspect Dick knows that if he informed the other shareholders of his intent to sell the shares, they would have wanted to buy them. By not giving prior notice, Dick is forcing the club to either allow fans to be shareholders or score a massive PR own goal (by refusing to allow fans to be shareholders).

D

Deleted member 2719

Dick has always been full of self promotion, he even had desperate middle aged ladies trying to flog his book at Brighton station last Saturday, hardly selling like hot cakes.

Not sure the Brand Dick Knight, is as big as his ego.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here