Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarification from Paul Barber on Dick Knight Selling his shares

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
can't see DK being a very popular figures in the Amex Directors' Box. Oh, hang on a minute..........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
can't see DK being a very popular figures in the Amex Directors' Box. Oh, hang on a minute..........

I predict worse than that........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In Dick's eyes it is......that surely is what an opinion is?

I refer the honourable poster to a point made by Ernest earlier in this thread concerning an impending Holywood blockbuster

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
To be fair if the club says no then it's most likely for logistical reasons. If DK sell his shares to say 10000 people then every time the club has an AGM they have to send out 10000 letters, every time they club published accounts, they would have to send out 10000, as and when the club ever paid a dividend to shareholders (a big if mind you) and let's suppose that was a 5 percent payment they would have to send out 10000 cheques all made out for 5p.

It would be an administrative nightmare, let alone a complete waste of money and resources.

If Dick really wants to ensure the one person never owns all of the club then he could very simply transfer them into a trust where there would be trustees to oversee. That is of course if the club did not wan to exercise its rights to buy them back.

With regards to minutes of general meetings and copies of accounts it is perfectly acceptable for private limited companies to distribute these by email or publish them on a website - neither of which is a particularly onerous task.

As regards dividend payments then if the club can reach this point the cost of distributing any dividend, even amongst as many as 10,000, would be relatively insignificant.

It's ironic really that we are having a discussion where many are questioning the motives of DK yet had he not abided by his belief that no one man should have overall control of the club and taken up more than 49.5% of the shareholding when he had the opportunity things may have been very different.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I find the whole affair very sad.
Firstly was the Poyet fiasco, this led to NSC posters being pro or anti Gus.
Now Dick's book revelations, again pro Dick fans and anti Dick fans.
Now this has led to the i'm on Dicks side and i'm on Tony's side amongst NSC posters.
This has led to the Martin Perry stabbed me in the back revelations.

I have never spoken to Dick Knight, but held him in high esteem, as a legend that fought tooth and nail to save our club.
At the moment, those views have diminished because of the stories coming out of the book.

When can we end the sideshows and get back to bieng 100% Brighton and Hove Albion?
And we take the piss out of Palace. hmm

At the moment, those views have diminished because of the stories coming out of the book.
Might I suggest that the "stories" owe more to speculation from fans who - for whatever reason - are questioning DK's motives? Actually reading the book might bring a different perspective on things.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
With regards to minutes of general meetings and copies of accounts it is perfectly acceptable for private limited companies to distribute these by email or publish them on a website - neither of which is a particularly onerous task.

As regards dividend payments then if the club can reach this point the cost of distributing any dividend, even amongst as many as 10,000, would be relatively insignificant.

It's ironic really that we are having a discussion where many are questioning the motives of DK yet had he not abided by his belief that no one man should have overall control of the club and taken up more than 49.5% of the shareholding when he had the opportunity things may have been very different.

Creaky

I'm not for one moment questioning his motives, I was just trying to highlight what the implications could be.

And not picking holes in your answer but just supposing dividends were ever paid, the point I was trying to make was that if 10000 shares earned 5 p each, that's £500 But cost of postage could be around 4k.

Dick has done more than enough for Brighton to able to do as he chooses and judges to be in the Albion's best interests, but then so has TB and others.

the danger of all this is it's yet another sorry saga that could do nothing but make bad blood, bad publicity. shame really.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Might I suggest that the "stories" owe more to speculation from fans who - for whatever reason - are questioning DK's motives? Actually reading the book might bring a different perspective on things.

Well enlighten us then

... just supposing dividends were ever paid ...
That's a decision that lies entirely with TB.

There are fans who - years ago, when the money was really needed - bought shares. They've not seen any of their investment repaid (other than by the mere survival of their football club). In TB's terms, the sums of money might be trifling, but we all owe a debt to those guys.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What? are you wanting LB to type out extracts of the book for you ???

Not at all just his view.

Judging by the conversation on Thursday there already may be a legal issue over printing parts of this book.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
That's a decision that lies entirely with TB.

There are fans who - years ago, when the money was really needed - bought shares. They've not seen any of their investment repaid (other than by the mere survival of their football club). In TB's terms, the sums of money might be trifling, but we all owe a debt to those guys.

I never for one moment suggested otherwise.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It reminds me of the bitterness of Margaret Thatcher when she left office.

I have read the last four chapters now and this is exactly how I see it. Sadly he comes across as a bitter old man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here