Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Clare Balding

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Yes she is excellent, I was only thinking how excellent the whole bbc presentation is of the games thus far.
Also like Andy Jameson and Adrian Morehouse as commentators on the swimming- great double act. All round superb.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes she is excellent, I was only thinking how excellent the whole bbc presentation is of the games thus far.
Also like Andy Jameson and Adrian Morehouse as commentators on the swimming- great double act. All round superb.

Was impressed with Eddie Butler and Sir Clive Baldhead in the rugby too. Butler did have a habit of saying "the Welsh boy" every time James Davies got the ball but his commentary was spot on (he'd clearly done a lot of research on the players) and Woodward's punditry was often genuinely enlightening. A good combination - Welsh and English; forward and back - that actually added to the enjoyment of the game

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
They're both (CB and JI) great. Old money, if you will. Real television personalities.

I particularly liked the rose ****ed glasses comment a few years ago and since then he's been held in high regard with me.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

They're both (CB and JI) great. Old money, if you will. Real television personalities.

I particularly liked the rose ****ed glasses comment a few years ago and since then he's been held in high regard with me.

I hadn't heard that before, have tears in my eyes.. brilliant.. and followed up with "apologies for the slip of the tongue"...super stuff...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Superb. I also liked this one from Nicky Campbell. TWICE :lolol:

[yt]zsozEr-X08s[/yt]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I'd never heard that before either! :lolol:

When at Twickenham a few years ago for an England game I remember seeing him alongside Jeremy Guscott, Lawrence Dallaglio and Jonathan Davies before, during and after a live TV segment from the broadcast from where we were sat close by - A consummate professional but he seriously fancied himself. He stroked his hair back after taking out the ear piece a few times too many for my liking.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
View attachment 77109

Agree she's a great presenter :)

Let's be honest, she looks nothing like Eddie Izzard, does she, apart from having short hair. Angela Eagle, on the other hand, when she was doing her Labour leadership campaign...

Anyway. I like Clare Balding. Think she's knowledgeable, personable, and very natural in her presenting style. Nothing seems to faze her. I'd say she's way better than the likes of Gary Lineker, who I still find to be a little wooden at times on MOTD. His scripted lines can be cringeworthy.

The one who's got on my nerves during the Olympic coverage is Leon Taylor, analysing the diving. He spent so much time the other day shouting about how he'd seen Daley & the rest doing it "so much better in training" and criticising their competition dives. If I was one of the divers and he turned up to watch me train, I think I'd tell him to sod off.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd never heard that before either! :lolol:

When at Twickenham a few years ago for an England game I remember seeing him alongside Jeremy Guscott, Lawrence Dallaglio and Jonathan Davies before, during and after a live TV segment from the broadcast from where we were sat close by - A consummate professional but he seriously fancied himself. He stroked his hair back after taking out the ear piece a few times too many for my liking.

I've always had a similar impression. Wasn't very professional what he said about that French tennis player though, the one who won Wimbledon. Marian Bartoli was it? He's no oil painting, but evidently felt it was fair game to have a pop at her appearance.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Let's be honest, she looks nothing like Eddie Izzard, does she, apart from having short hair. Angela Eagle, on the other hand, when she was doing her Labour leadership campaign...

The one who's got on my nerves during the Olympic coverage is Leon Taylor, analysing the diving. He spent so much time the other day shouting about how he'd seen Daley & the rest doing it "so much better in training" and criticising their competition dives. If I was one of the divers and he turned up to watch me train, I think I'd tell him to sod off.

Its like a long line of former English footballers who are dismayed, shocked, at England's exit from a major tournament : as if they hadn't ever been involved in an abject England performance.. The other chap I enjoyed last night was Chris Hoy, no doubt carried along by the excellent Ms. Balding, but helped ignite my enjoyment of the Olympics..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Always in safe hands when she's presenting. Consummate professional.

Except that time an old schoolmate of mine won the Grand National after starting as a 100-1 wildcard. Eyes of the nation are on him, biggest day of his life, and as he climbs off the horse to be interviewed, she says;

"Can probably afford to get those teeth done now, can't you?"

VINTAGE Partridge moment.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Balding v Inverdale.
Close call to who is the biggest know all.
But as a presenter give me Balding every time.

I really don't see the point of John Inverdale. But agree that Clare Balding is excellent - does her homework, obviously.

I think the standard of commentary and expert comment to date has been really good - people who are knowledgeable about the sport and also articulate

And that is before Michael Johnson comes on the scene for the athletics. I think he is about the best there is. Not afraid to be critical and honest, but will praise when it is warranted, and does it all with great authority.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Total respect to Clare Balding. She was always massively authoritative and enthusiastic about horse racing, being from the Balding horse racing dynasty. Reckon her big break was when that rubbish Irish girl from The One Show (now Mrs Frank Lampard) jumped ship to ITV, just as she was being positioned to cover the 2012 Olympics. Clare Balding stepped into the breach and has never looked back.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember channel hopping on BBC a few years ago when Clare Balding was hosting a Rugby League game. I don't follow Rugby League in the slightest, but there she was hosting it, sat amongst a couple of miserable, big, northern ex-Rugby League players, talking rugby league and she totally knew her stuff.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For me, it is the woman on the gymnastics. It sounds like she is making up rules on Mornington Crescent when she tells you what they are doing.

Oh, a wonderful triple, peanutted slide into crisp roll there. Followed by a double snarf furgle tuck with twist. A bit slow coming out of the Verskensikov loop reversed with pike dive though.

Or the bloke who was crying because a posh woman made a horse look camp. Anyone moved by dressage needs to get some valium or something.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
She seems to have upped her game, used to get on my nerves but her enthusiasm and knowledge is shining through.

Funny you say that but really used to like her but for some reason she is getting on my wick lately (not that I have a wick to get on!!).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Or the bloke who was crying because a posh woman made a horse look camp. Anyone moved by dressage needs to get some valium or something.

I love this line!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here