Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping away fans.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Why does anyone care? It's not the cause of our current results. We've got a large number of fans that have a bit of class and recognise that travelling to support your side is often a big commitment. Ok today's journey wasn't much for Fulham fans, but they turned out in numbers and it'd be a shit atmosphere if there were no away fans.

Absolutely. It really is not a big deal. The fact that Albion fans are not clapped away from home does not mean that we should stop this. The majority of away fans will be decent folk, who love football and make sacrifices to see their team and pay all the costs involved, as we do. It is one way in which football in general is trying to improve its image, so really should be encouraged.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I remember the games we played against them in the 90s at hove train station and the firkin pub outside the station at fulham, , definitely no clapping or back patting back then

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Maybe you are. Like (1) The fact that it's no longer the 1970s? (2) Any sense of sportsmanship? (3) The opportunity to feel good about being part of football's wider fraternity, rather than behaving like some spotty oik desperate to be considered well 'ard?
and here we have it , the reason atmospheres at ALL grounds are rubbish, nothing to do with all seat stadia, and EVERYTHING to do with people who want to " feel good be about being part of footballs wider fraternity " .

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It really isn't embarrassing.

Maybe the recognition that away fans are just like us comes from all the help and support that we got for 15 years from fans of all 92 clubs. This includes thousands turning up to watch us smash Hartlepool 5-0 - a scoreline that saved us from being relegated to the conference.
What the hell has fans United day got to do with this?
So we're supposed to be a super nicey club to all because we had a couple of thousand fans come to fans United day?

Just ridiculous

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why do people clap away fans when they only travel 50miles also did it for charlton, absolutely pathetic,if your going to clap do it for teams oop north but I never will.
Same. Yesterday I mentioned to the person next to me that I'd stop them if they clapped the Fulham fans.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Why do people clap away fans when they only travel 50miles also did it for charlton, absolutely pathetic,if your going to clap do it for teams oop north but I never will.
why not? It's nice and more to the point they are boosting the club's finance and the local economy. You grumpy old git!

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
3,000 x £30 = £90,000.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
We absolutely must carry on clapping away fans then , because NONE of them would come unless they were clapped......

Not really the point I was getting at. I just don't get why we should be hostile to them - they're giving us money and in MOST cases have made a reasonably difficult journey to get here (as most of our away trips show). Yes 3,000 Fulham fans haven't really put in the same effort as 500 Middlesbrough fans but I don't think there needs to be a set of criteria decided each week. By and large following football away is expensive and a hassle so respect to people who do it.

I often have a chat with visiting fans in the pub beforehand - should I be trying to start a fight with them instead?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I clap. In tough financial times for many families it's a commitment that I feel should be applauded. If it's Sussex Uni team or Carlisle football is an expense and if they want to come, improve the clubs coffers in the process then Ill support that.

Perhaps if people stopped looking for scape goats and just got behind the team and the manager more we might see a feel good factor rerun to this club.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Not really the point I was getting at. I just don't get why we should be hostile to them - they're giving us money and in MOST cases have made a reasonably difficult journey to get here (as most of our away trips show). Yes 3,000 Fulham fans haven't really put in the same effort as 500 Middlesbrough fans but I don't think there needs to be a set of criteria decided each week. By and large following football away is expensive and a hassle so respect to people who do it.

I often have a chat with visiting fans in the pub beforehand - should I be trying to start a fight with them instead?
I often visit the away concourses and, surprise, surprise - visiting fans by and large exactly mirror our own. Why on earth would you want to jeer at them - or as some seemingly would prefer - fight with them? Showing friendly respect to visitors to our unique home is something that sets the Amex crowd apart from the Neanderthal tendency experienced elsewhere. Long may it continue.

More to the point, do some of our fans really believe that their behaviour towards away supporters makes a blind bit of difference to what happens on the pitch? I mean, really?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Not clapping isn't hostility is it? 1 can understand if away fans were applauded Withdean but at The Amex? I'm all for encouraging more away fans to visit The Amex and put money into The Albion's coffers but l find it Chringeworthy applauding them for supporting their team, especially when they have only come from an hour away. Maybe we can tickle their bellies while our team rolls over and sends them home with the 3 points? The more teams and their supporters enjoy visiting The Amex, the more likely WE are to see our side roll over. We need the Amex experience for visiting fans to be safe but hostile to their team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here