Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clap for our Carers : Tonight 8pm

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s a bit like middle class sorts helping the homeless at Christmas ****em the rest of the year and complain about them begging.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm quite happy to do my share of clapping but it does seem a bit like everyone is watching one another to see who quits first.

Bit like not being the first out of the office in Japan. Me - couldn’t give a damn. I do some vigorous clapping and go in for a cuppa when my hands get sore.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s a bit like middle class sorts helping the homeless at Christmas ****em the rest of the year and complain about them begging.

It is becoming very pointless. I think NHS workers know now.

But who's going to be the one to raise their head above the parapet to say "enough now"? It won't be Boris or any self styled community leader. Imagine the publicity.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

But who's going to be the one to raise their head above the parapet to say "enough now"? It won't be Boris or any self styled community leader. Imagine the publicity.

In our road, over the weeks, the clapping has got much shorter, and the chatter afterwards much longer. It’s gone from a long period of clapping and a quick ‘how are you doing ?’ To a couple of mins of (much more vigorous) clapping and noise and 30 mins of chat.

Which is nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Maybe the NHS will:-

NHS.jpg

I accept that particular message was easier said than done, at the last election.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In our road, over the weeks, the clapping has got much shorter, and the chatter afterwards much longer. It’s gone from a long period of clapping and a quick ‘how are you doing ?’ To a couple of mins of (much more vigorous) clapping and noise and 30 mins of chat.

Which is nice.

So it has a purpose....good enough for me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Which is nice.

Yeah that's how it's going in our road. I had to cut it at 8.15 but only to join a Zoom call for my mate's birthday. Talking of Uber Eats he was delivered an unexpected kebab from one of us mid call.

View attachment 123273

I accept that particular message was easier said than done, at the last election.

Spot on. Good post.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Can you please read posts #363 #364 #365 in order and then explain to me your exact point, because you have lost me here.

Thanks

read posts as suggested. Not sure about my exact point, but thought you had negative opinion of those still clapping for NHS.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
read posts as suggested. Not sure about my exact point, but thought you had negative opinion of those still clapping for NHS.

There's nothing wrong with clapping for the NHS.

There's also nothing wrong with NOT clapping for the NHS.

The social judgment around CV19 is its second worst feature after killing old people.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Would be really good if an A and E figures were given as to how they are doing,it seems less people are attending and as so many of us know And E is exactly what it should be and not an Ambulance Day Trip because of a sore Knee.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
There's nothing wrong with clapping for the NHS.

There's also nothing wrong with NOT clapping for the NHS.

The social judgment around CV19 is its second worst feature after killing old people.

Agree with first two statements.

Surely the worst features of cov19 is 1. As you say killing people. my 2. has to be the massive upheaval and destruction of the economy.

Social judgement about something like Cov19 is mainly pure fiction. Everybody thinks they know but in reality no one knows!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Agree with first two statements.

Surely the worst features of cov19 is 1. As you say killing people. my 2. has to be the massive upheaval and destruction of the economy.

Social judgement about something like Cov19 is mainly pure fiction. Everybody thinks they know but in reality no one knows!

Yeah, I tossed that up, so to speak. I think the social division will be reinforced massively in the post infection recovery. So and so had it easy because they had a garden. So and so couldn't wait to be furloughed. So and so was a key worker and so and so wasn't. So and so is already back off on holiday, So and so is still coughing.

I hope I'm wrong but my current fear is that people will turn on each other once this becomes a battle for economic and social survival instead of medical and health survival.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Yeah, I tossed that up, so to speak. I think the social division will be reinforced massively in the post infection recovery. So and so had it easy because they had a garden. So and so couldn't wait to be furloughed. So and so was a key worker and so and so wasn't. So and so is already back off on holiday, So and so is still coughing.

I hope I'm wrong but my current fear is that people will turn on each other once this becomes a battle for economic and social survival instead of medical and health survival.

I have a little more faith in human nature!

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON

You know some people will do this. I've seen the odd snippet on twitter of people saying this sort of thing and it really isn't healthy.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
On a Friday the local BBC news has various clips filmed at 8PM on a Thursday, fair play to the people just simply clapping, and nothing wrong with banging a wooden spoon on a saucepan, kids seem to enjoy this.

Read this above , then read below.

One thing I've noticed is some people playing a keyboard, flute etc on their doorstep, I can't help thinking it's not about you when I see them.

And you have now worked out I haven't got a negative view about any clapping hopefully.

Just a slight negative view about musical instruments, more of an observation of something I saw on tv.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

View attachment 123273

Nice bit of politically motivated photo-shopping.

The NHS is performing brilliantly. That's not because it was founded by Labour; nor is it in spite of Tory cuts. It is performing brilliantly because of of the doctors and nurses that are working for it. Therefore, most of us are happy to clap. Those who aren't happy to clap can sulk indoors. I think that about sums it up.

If you enjoyed it and all got on the fair play, your road can form a band :smile:

I think when I've seen a whole street just clapping and in the middle is a couple of musicians, I think to myself why?

haha I agree.

Tonight in Withdean, someone was banging a drum, not just to make noise, but to a beat and I also heard a recorder or something similar. I found it a little cringe if I'm honest. It's amazing showing support how we have, despite how cringe it can look, but to bring instruments into the equation is a little far fetched and I'm a music fanatic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here