Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Cityclean, Suicide, drugs and the untouchable union reps

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The KC’s internal report out, this is shocking, the GMB don’t come out of this looking to good!! I’m a member so like last month I’ll know doubt get an email explaining their side of this😮

• Wow
Reactions: cjd

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
An utterly appalling report. It will be interesting to see the GMB response.
Deflection, whataboutery, claims of victimisation etc etc, the man is a twunt of the highest order. Odious is too polite for him.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A few snippets below

GMB Union

Many of the individuals accused of these and other inappropriate behaviours are either GMB reps within the council, or are among a group of around ten white men who were described to me by witnesses as having been particularly protected by the GMB reps within the council.

Accounts

I heard numerous accounts of appalling behaviour faced by staff and managers at Cityclean including accounts of individuals:

Shouting and/or swearing at and/or threatening staff; acting in a physically aggressive way, making implicit and explicit threats to use physical violence and in fact using such violence; referring to managers as “c***s, w*****s, a f*****g b***h pulling the strings”; racially harassing members of staff including by racist name calling and graffiti; sexually harassing women staff and managers; harassing gay staff including by “catfishing” them.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Deflection, whataboutery, claims of victimisation etc etc, the man is a twunt of the highest order. Odious is too polite for him.
Things have not changed in all these years -bullying union barons getting their way through intimidation. Many years ago, when my dad found a job as a postie, after having left the Army, he regularly told us that if "you were well in" with the relevant union, you got the easiest rounds. It was clear who was calling the shots and that management were threatened with industrial action should they intervene. The existence of unions has undoubtedly helped the working population over the years, but we still all too often witness selfish threats of industrial action.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm quite surprised as my experience of the GMB was that they were a useful as a chocolate teapot.

They tended to delegate responsibility to a site union rep, so this may be more of a localised thing.

It doesn't surprise me though as some places can become very toxic with the wrong sort of folk running these things and then gathering the like minded around them.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Through my work, I had dealings with another branch of GMB in Brighton in another aspect. Led by a mafia-in-their-own-lunchtime 65 year old working class 'blokes', lazy, misogynistic dinosaurs, they spent all day manoeuvring and politicking against other GMB members. From time to time one or two of them appear in local media on unrelated issues, it's funny seeing these geezers all sweetness and light.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I bet he did want it to end quickly 🙄
Absolutely. He is protecting his members, no matter what they have done. So his agenda was to minimise the damage. He would want the KC to rush it, fail to complete a thorough investigation, fail to identify all the culprits, fail to identify all the crimes.

I suspect, based on anecdotal evidence over the years, and the occasional snippet of news, that the abuse, bullying and intimidation have been going on for years. It wouldn't have just started up overnight. Successive councils must be looked at, to see if they could have done better. But we should also take a close look at GMB rep Mark Turner, who has presided over this, did nothing about it, and seems to have, at the very least, sought to have the investigation prematurely brought to an end.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Absolutely. He is protecting his members, no matter what they have done. So his agenda was to minimise the damage. He would want the KC to rush it, fail to complete a thorough investigation, fail to identify all the culprits, fail to identify all the crimes.

I suspect, based on anecdotal evidence over the years, and the occasional snippet of news, that the abuse, bullying and intimidation have been going on for years. It wouldn't have just started up overnight. Successive councils must be looked at, to see if they could have done better. But we should also take a close look at GMB rep Mark Turner, who has presided over this, did nothing about it, and seems to have, at the very least, sought to have the investigation prematurely brought to an end.
Whilst I have absolutely no idea if true but one comment on the many side stories associated to this news is that MT is also an employee of the City Council

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here