Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] City fans.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I noticed 3 or 4 on the West side (where the empty unsold seats in their end were) ran straight over to the divide (mainly day tripping Albion fans) to give it large. I mean come on - you’re Manchester City and win every game… oh how I laughed when it was disallowed!
Yeah I was surprised how chippy so many of their fans were, behaving like supporters of a small-time club with something to prove. I wonder if success has attracted a larger number of w@nkers?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
A friend of mine was a big city fan, going back to the days of Bell, Lee and Summerbee. He was ecstatic about the winning and money to begin with but you could see a gradual erosion of his enthusiasm for city as every season passed. Winning and having all the best players money can buy became tedious for him.

He lived in Bristol for a bit and went to Rovers games whilst he was there, so that’s where he goes these days for his football fix. I’ve tried to talk to him about city but he simply says he doesn’t support them anymore he likes Bristol Rovers. I can’t ever imagine walking away from our club but there you go. I bet he’s not alone.
There will be no money and winning at The Mem...he will be fine with the Gas.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does he come from Manchester?
Also you mention he lived in Bristol for a bit and watched Rovers, does he travel far to watch Rovers now?

Not sure I could walk away from supporting the Albion, if I ever moved away I would probably watch a non league team but Albion would still be my team.
He's Welsh, went to Uni in Manchester and worked in Bristol. He's retired now in our village.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Their problem is that if they don’t win a trophy or two it’s a disaster. City friend of mine seems to be in a constant state of anxiety and even when they win it’s joyless. By contrast, last week our club held a dinner to celebrate the 40th anniversary of losing a cup final!

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
For decades it was always the way, that city were the club for real Mancunians, and the proper locals club....where United was a plastic glory hunters club with fans from miles away, prawn sandwich brigade and day trippers.

Now City success has come at the cost of becoming all which they once despised.

An empty plastic club, full of JCLs, day trippers and glory hunters.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Never met a cheerful Gas fan.
My friend who still lives there assures me he works with some and that they frequently express happiness and other positive emotions.
I'm not sure I believe it.
Been here for 34 years and it was only their promotion day last season...the 7-0 victory...the day we beat Man Utd 4-0...that I have seen them smiling.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m really honoured that you just decided to pick on my reply and not the several others that also corrected you . :moo:
I guess yours was just a little more visceral.

Anyhow, I think 'You're just a shit Lewes Town' is much funnier than singing 'you're just a shit Lewis Dunk' to a player that is clearly no Harry Maguire.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
For decades it was always the way, that city were the club for real Mancunians, and the proper locals club....where United was a plastic glory hunters club with fans from miles away, prawn sandwich brigade and day trippers.

Now City success has come at the cost of becoming all which they once despised.

An empty plastic club, full of JCLs, day trippers and glory hunters.
This is true about City fans, I know several from my years spent in Manchester, they are at a loss really in no mans land, enjoying the success but realise their club is losing it's soul.
We have our fair share of day trippers now, but it is a global audience and if you want to attract international players you must accept that it comes at a cost, all Premier League teams are no longer local clubs for local folks, that is not a bad thing, it just takes some getting used to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is true about City fans, I know several from my years spent in Manchester, they are at a loss really in no mans land, enjoying the success but realise their club is losing it's soul.
We have our fair share of day trippers now, but it is a global audience and if you want to attract international players you must accept that it comes at a cost, all Premier League teams are no longer local clubs for local folks, that is not a bad thing, it just takes some getting used to.
Their soul is long gone begging the question how can you enjoy the success?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know two people who are City fans - they're both Welsh! (not glory hunters though, they've been supporters since, at least, the early 90s). By contrast, the one person I know from Manchester is a United fan.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patreon
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I know two people who are City fans - they're both Welsh! (not glory hunters though, they've been supporters since, at least, the early 90s). By contrast, the one person I know from Manchester is a United fan.
I'm pretty sure I remember reading, many years ago (probably around the time City were bought by Abu Dhabi), that City and United have more or less the same number of STHs from Manchester, it's just that United also had a load from everywhere else.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm pretty sure I remember reading, many years ago (probably around the time City were bought by Abu Dhabi), that City and United have more or less the same number of STHs from Manchester, it's just that United also had a load from everywhere else.
This is true I think.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Weirdly, I work with a city fan, genuine fan -she's from Manchester, and she tried all day to get tickets in the home and the away section and both clubs had sold out the entire time. She was really frustrated and therefore it was odd to see so many gaps in the city end.
well she didnt try that hard as twitter was full of city fans offering tickets at face value or some were even free

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
well she didnt try that hard as twitter was full of city fans offering tickets at face value or some were even free
Blimey. I don't understand why people keep impressing that she didn't try hard. She tried for a while on official channels, I don't know her very well at all, it was a passing conversation and maybe she's been bitten before through buying elsewhere? Personally I would stick to official avenues especially given how draconian the club's ticket policy is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here