Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CIA

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The CIA admits to using torture techniques and everyone is up in arms and horrified? Pretty much standard practice for the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans and a host of other African, Middle Eastern and Asian nations so why all the fuss? So America turns out to be no different than any other nation, big deal so fricking what.

Very different; they allow the torture to be reported and reviewed. That's a good thing IMO.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
So rather than being part of a democracy that is respectful of human rights, liberty and freedom of speech etc. You're quite happy for that to be eroded simply because someone else is not? That is your logic?

In the real world there is no such thing as a democracy that is respectful of human rights, liberty and freedom of speech, it simply doesnt exist anywhere in the world. Therefore there is nothing to erode, the US has simply owned up to doing something every other nation on earth takes part in, in one form or another its just some countries are better at keeping it quiet or suppressed than the US is.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes you can, at least in the US, as with most if the so called Western democracies, there is accountability and oversight,........when has China and Russia ever allowed independent analysis, discussion and accountability of their own shonky activities at home and overseas...... let me tell you.......NEVER.

I tend to agree
the USA rightly or wrongly were at war with anyone who they thought was suspicious
and I'm sure again rightly or wrongly in the back of their minds were the 3000+ who died in the twin towers
and to think that those terrorists would not use the same tactics if they could is somewhat naive

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The CIA admits to using torture techniques and everyone is up in arms and horrified? Pretty much standard practice for the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans and a host of other African, Middle Eastern and Asian nations so why all the fuss? So America turns out to be no different than any other nation, big deal so fricking what.

I think the difference is that America 'markets' itself as the land of the free, bastion of Democracy, everything is possible for everyone. This report means they can't condemn the torture perpetrated by other nations until their own house is in order. It is hypocrisy of the highest order.

They're meant to be the self-proclaimed leaders of the civilised world and it turns out they're really no better than the enemies they're torturing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This report means they can't condemn the torture perpetrated by other nations until their own house is in order.

this report means their house is in better order already, identify and calling out that there is a problem to be fixed. freedom and democracy doesnt mean nothing bad ever happens, it does mean that you recognise when it does, dont like it and do something about it (to varying degrees of success)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the difference is that America 'markets' itself as the land of the free, bastion of Democracy, everything is possible for everyone. This report means they can't condemn the torture perpetrated by other nations until their own house is in order. It is hypocrisy of the highest order.

They're meant to be the self-proclaimed leaders of the civilised world and it turns out they're really no better than the enemies they're torturing.

If they were as bad you say they would not have issued the report at all imo. When are we expecting the report from IS or Al Queda regarding their activities for all to scrutinise ? I am looking forward to it

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
this report means their house is in better order already, identify and calling out that there is a problem to be fixed. freedom and democracy doesnt mean nothing bad ever happens, it does mean that you recognise when it does, dont like it and do something about it (to varying degrees of success)

Yep, exactly.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The USA only ****s up when it gets found out.

This kind of thing is not surprising, considering the war crimes, the police brutality, the routine spying on its own population, the rate of incarceration etc.

It is a despicable imperialist nation with absolutely no respect for humanity, including its own population.

Especially its own population. That's the real enemy of most states, including the one we live in.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Who cares? All of them were captured in what were effectively war zones, all had terrorist links and all this report does is point out the excesses the CIA et al went to trying to obtain information. After 9/11 is anyone really surprised? I personally have better things to worry about than the fate of some terrorist suspects whose mates spend their days trying to hack peoples heads off.

Did 9/11 also justify the hundreds of thousands of civilian lives lost in Afghanistan and Iraq?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thats odd,millions of people love living there,millions more have tried desperately over the years to make it their new home through immigration,thousand still try every day,and an untold number of NSC members have decided to live in the States and call it their home.My sister lives there and adores it...........i love the place when i stay there.

Yet you have decided its one of the most despicable nations on Earth.

Utterly Pathetic!

Reminds me of that old joke - "So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

I don't think it's as bad as Mustapha makes out but if you are using ecominic migration as a benchmark, then U.A.E is one of the nicest countries on earth.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If they were as bad you say they would not have issued the report at all imo. When are we expecting the report from IS or Al Queda regarding their activities for all to scrutinise ? I am looking forward to it

Yes, but we should not be comparing a democratic country like America to Middle Eastern terrorist organisations, should we?. That's sort of the point. What this report shows is America is happy to drop down to the level of terrorists, one hand using barbarism to attain their end-goals whilst the other wags its fingers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes you can, at least in the US, as with most if the so called Western democracies, there is accountability and oversight,........when has China and Russia ever allowed independent analysis, discussion and accountability of their own shonky activities at home and overseas...... let me tell you.......NEVER.

And what good has that analysis, discussion and accountability done? What's changed in US foreign policy over the last 20 years?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Oh right, so if my torture is not as bad as your torture it's alright then is it? FFS.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
And what good has that analysis, discussion and accountability done? What's changed in US foreign policy over the last 20 years?
Plenty I would say,.... changes to process and procedure, changes to policy, changes in personnel......the senate oversight committees are very thorough, and very public.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Plenty I would say,.... changes to process and procedure, changes to policy, changes in personnel......the senate oversight committees are very thorough, and very public.

And the overall change in foreign policy has been?

What lessons have they learnt from the catastrophic failure of their post 9/11 foreign policy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The shame of America.

You can hardly start pointing fingers at the human rights record of the likes of China and Russia if your own house is not in order.

Oh right, so if my torture is not as bad as your torture it's alright then is it? FFS.

Another dull contribution. Read his comment, read my response, then comment,.....

I'll go one better, I'll re-read, and quote the sequence of posts for clarity. I think it's you that now needs to comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here