Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CIA

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
37bf41cf-ab27-40a6-a5b5-2aa615d98c06-460x276.jpeg

"Khalid Sheikh Mohammed after his capture in 2009. Mohammed was waterboarded
at least 183 times after he was ‘rendered’ to a CIA prison in Poland."

I was always under the impression the waterboarding was a 1 off technique used to gain intelligence. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed must be a bit of a pro on the waterboard after 183 times!

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Who cares? All of them were captured in what were effectively war zones, all had terrorist links and all this report does is point out the excesses the CIA et al went to trying to obtain information. After 9/11 is anyone really surprised? I personally have better things to worry about than the fate of some terrorist suspects whose mates spend their days trying to hack peoples heads off.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Who cares? All of them were captured in what were effectively war zones, all had terrorist links and all this report does is point out the excesses the CIA et al went to trying to obtain information. After 9/11 is anyone really surprised? I personally have better things to worry about than the fate of some terrorist suspects whose mates spend their days trying to hack peoples heads off.

Then go worry about your 'other things' I would suggest. If you condone breaking international laws concerning the arrest and detention, international rendition and torture of UNCONVICTED detainees you are definitely as bad as the savage with the knife ready to behead. Nasty attitude in my opinion. Your way will just create a complete free for all. We are supposed to be civilised and you are suggesting you want to behave like a barbarian. Is your middle name jihadist? Perhaps you'd like some rectal feeding of a little sense!

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Then go worry about your 'other things' I would suggest. If you condone breaking international laws concerning the arrest and detention, international rendition and torture of UNCONVICTED detainees you are definitely as bad as the savage with the knife ready to behead. Nasty attitude in my opinion. Your way will just create a complete free for all. We are supposed to be civilised and you are suggesting you want to behave like a barbarian. Is your middle name jihadist? Perhaps you'd like some rectal feeding of a little sense!

I think that you should be reminded that abuse is not argument

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I care.

Most reports suggest that torture is a completely unreliable way of obtaining information. All this sort of behaviour (torture) does, is give ammunition to people recruiting for extremist ideologies.

I don't see how we can condemn when hostages/prisoners are treated inhumanely, if we are seen to be doing the same thing. It's just an endless cycle of hate and retribution.

If this report was on how say, the Iraqi army had treated captured SAS soldiers we would be say it was a disgrace.

For f**ks sake, one guys was on hunger strike so they pureed his lunch and stuck it up his arse....... It's like something from the film Seven.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is a despicable imperialist nation with absolutely no respect for humanity, including its own population.

Thats odd,millions of people love living there,millions more have tried desperately over the years to make it their new home through immigration,thousand still try every day,and an untold number of NSC members have decided to live in the States and call it their home.My sister lives there and adores it...........i love the place when i stay there.

Yet you have decided its one of the most despicable nations on Earth.

Utterly Pathetic!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The shame of America.

You can hardly start pointing fingers at the human rights record of the likes of China and Russia if your own house is not in order.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The shame of America.

You can hardly start pointing fingers at the human rights record of the likes of China and Russia if your own house is not in order.
Yes you can, at least in the US, as with most if the so called Western democracies, there is accountability and oversight,........when has China and Russia ever allowed independent analysis, discussion and accountability of their own shonky activities at home and overseas...... let me tell you.......NEVER.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Yes you can, at least in the US, as with most if the so called Western democracies, there is accountability and oversight,........when has China and Russia ever allowed independent analysis, discussion and accountability of their own shonky activities at home and overseas...... let me tell you.......NEVER.

Thought you would be here Mr Propaganda reader , first time the US have admitted it (had no choice really because of what people were saying about Guantanamo Bay) .
I see the UN have said Israel have committed crimes as well , then in that case both the US and Israel should be taken to the Human Rights court or something , doubt it will happen though . Don't forget as well there was a lot of details not released .

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Thought you would be here Mr Propaganda reader , first time the US have admitted it (had no choice really because of what people were saying about Guantanamo Bay) .
I see the UN have said Israel have committed crimes as well , then in that case both the US and Israel should be taken to the Human Rights court or something , doubt it will happen though . Don't forget as well there was a lot of details not released .
The very fact that questions could be asked, the very fact that there is a mechanism that allows public inward examination and accountability, moves the western democracies light years away from the eastern dictatorships you covet and glorify.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If what they did makes one 'terrorist' think again then that's ok with me.

Others would see it as part of the problem not the solution. By using the techniques they do during interogation they are no better than the people they claim to be fighting against.

I also hasten to add that you condone using fear and intimidation to try and make terroritst "think again", isn't that itself a form of terrorism?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So basically what you're saying is it's okay to torture people, to have unlawful worldwide surveillance, as long as when you get caught you say sorry?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So basically what you're saying is it's okay to torture people, to have unlawful worldwide surveillance, as long as when you get caught you say sorry?
Fucck sake, read the thread you dullard, I said nothing of the sort.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It is a despicable imperialist nation with absolutely no respect for humanity, including its own population.

Apart from the word 'imperialist' that pretty much sums up every single country in the Middle East. Hardly an area renowned for its freedom of speech, human rights, treatment of minorities or tolerance of LGBT issues. Hmm if I gave you a choice of where to live? Damascus, Baghdad, Tehran, Tripoli, Beirut, Amman, Bahrain or Washington, New York, San Fransisco, Miami, Houston or Denver? Tough choice that one.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The CIA admits to using torture techniques and everyone is up in arms and horrified? Pretty much standard practice for the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans and a host of other African, Middle Eastern and Asian nations so why all the fuss? So America turns out to be no different than any other nation, big deal so fricking what.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fucck sake, read the thread you dullard, I said nothing of the sort.

You replied specially to my post, why do I need to read the rest of the thread? You basically said that because the US has accountability and oversight, that is better than China and Russia in a nutshell. Or do you not really consider the wider implications of your posts when you make them?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apart from the word 'imperialist' that pretty much sums up every single country in the Middle East. Hardly an area renowned for its freedom of speech, human rights, treatment of minorities or tolerance of LGBT issues. Hmm if I gave you a choice of where to live? Damascus, Baghdad, Tehran, Tripoli, Beirut, Amman, Bahrain or Washington, New York, San Fransisco, Miami, Houston or Denver? Tough choice that one.

The CIA admits to using torture techniques and everyone is up in arms and horrified? Pretty much standard practice for the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans and a host of other African, Middle Eastern and Asian nations so why all the fuss? So America turns out to be no different than any other nation, big deal so fricking what.

So rather than being part of a democracy that is respectful of human rights, liberty and freedom of speech etc. You're quite happy for that to be eroded simply because someone else is not? That is your logic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here