Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Christmas spend

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Having lived through and taken part in the Christmas excesses of the 1980s through to the the crash of 2008 where Christmas was all about consumerism having too much of everything, our Christmas spend was spiralling By the 2000s we were spending in excess of £1,000!

Over the past few years we have year on year been reducing that excessive spend and this year we spent in total food drink presents £300 which I feel is far more realistic.

When I talk to friends and family they tell me they have also been reducing their Christmas spend year on year.

Question to NSC are we just tight or is this general have you reduced your Christmas spend?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This'll be NSC at it's finest.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Spent around £15 or less for Christmas dinner for 4 people which will carry on over into boxing day. That included a free range turkey, original price £36 reduced to £10, packs of sprouts, carrots, parsnips all 15p each, maris piper potatoes £1, reduced sausage meat 50p, homemade pigs in blankets made with reduced cocktail sausages and streaky bacon. So over two days it cost about £7.50 per meal between 4 people, less than £2 each.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Spent around £15 or less for Christmas dinner for 4 people which will carry on over into boxing day. That included a free range turkey, original price £36 reduced to £10, packs of sprouts, carrots, parsnips all 15p each, maris piper potatoes £1, reduced sausage meat 50p, homemade pigs in blankets made with reduced cocktail sausages and streaky bacon. So over two days it cost about £7.50 per meal between 4 people, less than £2 each.
You and my misses would get along

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For £220 I got 2 nights in a hotel, Christmas eve buffet, Christmas day breakfast, Christmas day roast, Christmas day/eve buffet, boxing day breakfast. Bargain really

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I spend more now than I did 20 years ago because I have more disposable income.

We always make lists for presents so the money is spent on things needed or at least wanted. But we still don't approach £1k.

Mrs ROTR got a bell for her cycle, I got Thanks for the Dance and

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_072052.jpg
    IMG_20191223_072052.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 197

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mrs AR and myself haven't spent that much on each other, as most things that we want, we just buy them through the year, what's the point in waiting one day, when you obviously know what you're getting.
No kids, so expense is slight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Question to NSC are we just tight or is this general have you reduced your Christmas spend?
Regardless of whether others have done likewise, no, you're not tight. Christmas shouldn't be about spending obscene amounts of money on things we don't need, so if you've been able to reduce the amount you spend, that sounds good to me. I'm not sure we've been that successful, but then I'm not sure my views are shared in the family.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We're not a fan of Turkey so opted for a gammon, other meats are always cheap at Christmas time. Probably £20 on food which lasts for a few days and we don't drink a huge amount so even with all the chocolates and snacks we're under £50. 3 kids so lots of toys but all for somewhere between £200-£300 each year in total

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That is a Christmas miracle

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Me and Mrs Wz spent over £600 on just ONE present :eek:

Last of the great romantics, we bought each other a new Oven

UTA :albion2:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Having lived through and taken part in the Christmas excesses of the 1980s through to the the crash of 2008 where Christmas was all about consumerism having too much of everything, our Christmas spend was spiralling By the 2000s we were spending in excess of £1,000!

Over the past few years we have year on year been reducing that excessive spend and this year we spent in total food drink presents £300 which I feel is far more realistic.

When I talk to friends and family they tell me they have also been reducing their Christmas spend year on year.

300 in total? You are really tight! But hey ho, no worries, each to their own.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That useless **** Webster scores 0-1

Wrong thread

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I spent the right amount.