Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas or New Year's Eve ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christmas Eve, by a mile. It's the start of the season effectively, of time off for most people, a good excuse for a few drinks and so on.

NYE is, on the other hand, effectively the end of all that, and a good excuse for pubs & taxi drivers to stick their prices up massively.

This year marks the first time in a decade that I'm not working Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (or Boxing Day). I can't wait to leave work in the afternoon like normal people do, quite possibly with Chris Rea's Driving Home For Christmas on the car stereo, and head home in the knowledge that I have a couple of days off and can spend the evening in the pub like everyone else does.

Glorious :clap2:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Christmas Eve by a long, long way. Apart from the fact that Christmas actually means something (to me, at least) it is a time to see friends and family, children and grandchildren and there is goodwill around for the most part.

I always find NYE totally artificial and a non-event, even though we are normally out or with friends.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Celebrating New Years Eve is much more a Scottish thing, first footing and all that.

As much as I dislike NYE we did spend one hogmany in a typical scottish Highlands hotel on the banks of Loch Levan at a place called Ballachulish near Glencoe. It was all logfires, Tartan and bagpipes. The weather was snow blizzards and freezing, it was the best way to do new year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here