Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Christmas Markets

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Just got back from Vienna for my wife's birthday, and we timed going for the Christmas Markets starting. What a beautiful city...we both agreed its the most stunning place weve been to. Incredibly clean, very friendly, very safe...and the markets were great. Weve done them over here before, but Vienna blew them out the water. Definitely a place to go if you're looking for a weekend break.
Now shes experienced Austria, she wants to do more in the years ahead, so....

Which others have you been to, and can recommend?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Been going to Bruges, apart from lockdown for years, going first weekend in December. Love it there and it's only an hour's drive from Calais.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Been going to Bruges, apart from lockdown for years, going first weekend in December. Love it there and it's only an hour's drive from Calais.
Went there in mid December last year as part of a cruise of Northern Europe. I'd not been for many years to Bruge and loved it. The central square (which had a big Christmas tree in a large plastic bubble, which had loads of seating in it) had loads of tasty beers in different glasses (favourite was the local Brugse Zot - yum!) and IIRC you gave a euro deposit on the glass, and could keep it if you wished. Kept a couple, but my Brugse Zot glass was broken by accident by Mrs D when we got home. Thankfully I picked up a replacement on Amazon as it was a particularly decent glass for beer...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just got back from Vienna for my wife's birthday, and we timed going for the Christmas Markets starting. What a beautiful city...we both agreed its the most stunning place weve been to. Incredibly clean, very friendly, very safe...and the markets were great. Weve done them over here before, but Vienna blew them out the water. Definitely a place to go if you're looking for a weekend break.

So you're saying that the Viennese Christmas market is better than the pop-up Christmas market adjacent to St Peter's church???

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
brussels xmas market is amazing, took longer to drive to dover than it did from dunkirk, so much to see and in the main square there is an incredible light display where the xmas tree is…
651D2B40-FB20-48EA-990E-112CB2412E47.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I love Bruges, having visited it quite a few times for day visits. I was disappointed with their Christmas market though.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
brussels xmas market is amazing, took longer to drive to dover than it did from dunkirk, so much to see and in the main square there is an incredible light display where the xmas tree is…
here’s a link to the brussels market

we try to go every year for a long weekend but works got in the way this year

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Off again to Europe for a real Christmas market. Leaving home at 8:00 we can be in Lille by 14:00 even with a 1 hour time difference. One night there and Cologne for 3 nights. Leave at 11:00 last day and back at home by 20:00 including two stops for duty free and hypermarket.
Also done Gwent as a stopover, wonderful town, and Antwerp for a night but not quite so impressed.
Yes, once you've done a 'real' Christmas Market in Europe nothing in this country comes close. Also costs less over there with no rip off prices.
As for Brighton. In reality it could be the biggest and best in the south but needs investment. Putting up a couple of flashing lights is no good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

PFW

Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk

Going to Vienna on the 15/12/22 for four nights to visit the Christmas markets, can't wait, heard a lot of good things about Vienna. Been to the markets in Cologne a couple of times which I can highly recommend

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
It's absolutely brilliant.

Unfortunately Birmingham is neither clean, safe nor friendly!

:moo:
The City centre certainly is. Top class restaurants, bars, hotels, shops and entertainment, fully pedestrianised . I take it you havent visited in the last few years?

The suburbs, admittedly, are shite.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Going to Vienna on the 15/12/22 for four nights to visit the Christmas markets, can't wait, heard a lot of good things about Vienna. Been to the markets in Cologne a couple of times which I can highly recommend
District 1 (old town) is gorgeous. Quite a few markets were still being put up, but it should all be in full swing by the time you get there. Have a great time, and enjoy the Gluhwein at each!! :p

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The City centre certainly is. Top class restaurants, bars, hotels, shops and entertainment, fully pedestrianised . I take it you havent visited in the last few years?

The suburbs, admittedly, are shite.
I have - hence the :moo:

It's FAR better than it used to be but I'm not sure the rat infested outdoor homeless centre between Colmore Circus and The Clayton counts as safe or clean - unless that's been tidied up since lockdown.

The Christmas Market is, of course, safe as houses. Pass the gluhwein.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
I hear the Winchester Christmas Market is very good. Am spending a few days in the New Forest early next month and will definitely pay a visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here