Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Christmas Markets

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My favourite by far is the Cologne Christmas market, although Düsseldorf was pretty good too. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been and something I will definitely factor in if I ever visit the UK for Christmas🎅🏼

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Just got back from Vienna for my wife's birthday, and we timed going for the Christmas Markets starting. What a beautiful city...we both agreed its the most stunning place weve been to. Incredibly clean, very friendly, very safe...and the markets were great. Weve done them over here before, but Vienna blew them out the water. Definitely a place to go if you're looking for a weekend break.
Now shes experienced Austria, she wants to do more in the years ahead, so....

Which others have you been to, and can recommend?
That’s good to know - I’ll be in Vienna in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cologne & Stuttgart both good from experience

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20221116-205838_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221116-205852_Gallery.jpg

Just come back from Waddesdon Christmas fair.
Great stalls and fantastic light display around the house and gardens.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The City centre certainly is. Top class restaurants, bars, hotels, shops and entertainment, fully pedestrianised . I take it you havent visited in the last few years?

The suburbs, admittedly, are shite.
I was in Birmingham for a tunnel inspection over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised by how nice the centre of Solihull is.
The tunnel was in Moseley, and it was stressed to me that lots of people take drugs in the area and I should be on the lookout for needles, so that was less great. :lolol:
In general, hugely underrated city. That said, how exactly is it a "authentic German Christmas market"?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for Brussels here. Lots of different markets. Easy to get to on the Eurostar. And if you're there for a couple of nights you can jump on a train to Bruges, or if you fancy somewhere as picturesque but way less crowded, Ghent and be in either within an hour.

Elsewhere, Copenhagen is lovely. Just a brilliant, walkable city, laid back ambience, plenty of Christmas market action, and Tivoli Gardens which is stunning at Christmas. Went in 2019, liked it so much I'm going back again next month.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There's always this one

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Now, it's clear I'm biased but Vienna and Salzburg are great for Christmas markets. Salzburg is probably more beautiful but some find it a bit kitschy and it can get really crowded at weekends.

I would recommend Vienna more because there are lots of markets in different locations so you can avoid the masses more easily. Graz and Innsbruck are also good options.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Been to most of the big German cities, Cologne, Dusseldorf and Munich were favourites. Berlin great to mix with a bit of Cold War history. Going to Innsbruck this year for a 2nd time, really enjoyed previously. It's small but friendly and you can go straight up into the mountains (hopefully snowy) via a train that goes up the side of the mountain and then a cable car, great trip.

In England, agree Winchester is good.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I see our very own 'Christmas Festival' opened today. Anyone go? If so, any better than last year's awful excuse for Christmas markets?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did Berlin 6 years ago and absolutely loved it. Had never been before so combined the markets with the standard Berlin tourist stuff. Fast became one of my favourite cities.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Lots to see and places to enjoy a drink and food in Munich as well as the Christmas Markets.
A lovely city.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I see our very own 'Christmas Festival' opened today. Anyone go? If so, any better than last year's awful excuse for Christmas markets?
I didn't go, but walked through the Christmas Market yesterday. It's not very big, but it's a vast improvement of last year.

This year it has moved to just next to St Peter's Church. It's actually quite a nice set up, with a couple of bars, and the big wheel is there.

I may go for a pin there in a minute. Or some mulled wine...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We used to enjoy Montreux Christmas Market. You can’t really go wrong with that backdrop of the lake and the Alps. Walked through the Liverpool one last week which looks great but seems to mainly consist of bars, takeaways and children’s rides. I saw something in the Echo about it being a bit over priced as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here