Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christmas games

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The thing that annoys me about the TV companies thirst for Christmas schedule fillers is that they are moving more and more towards total saturation. If we're lucky enough to have them, Christmas is about seeing family and friends, not watching football on TV. Yes, the tradition of the Boxing Day / New Year's Day games are a huge part of this for those attending the matches, but the TV scheduling of Christmas Eve is obviously not aimed at this group. It's aimed at the people at home. People who should be wrapping presents, or in the pub drinking, or singing carols, or mulling wine, or wrestling with assembly instructions for any kid's presents that need to be ready to go on the morning, or getting everyone in new pyjamas and re-reading favourite Christmas stories, or eating half a carrot and a glass of milk or brandy, or arguing with the in laws, or rushing to the corner shop for forgotten pigs in blankets, or going to church, or all of these things. Not watching ninety minutes plus of a match between two teams most of you probably don't even support.

It's Christmas bloody Eve! Leave it alone. There are other days. Not every day has to be football.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The thing that annoys me about the TV companies thirst for Christmas schedule fillers is that they are moving more and more towards total saturation. If we're lucky enough to have them, Christmas is about seeing family and friends, not watching football on TV. Yes, the tradition of the Boxing Day / New Year's Day games are a huge part of this for those attending the matches, but the TV scheduling of Christmas Eve is obviously not aimed at this group. It's aimed at the people at home. People who should be wrapping presents, or in the pub drinking, or singing carols, or mulling wine, or wrestling with assembly instructions for any kid's presents that need to be ready to go on the morning, or getting everyone in new pyjamas and re-reading favourite Christmas stories, or eating half a carrot and a glass of milk or brandy, or arguing with the in laws, or rushing to the corner shop for forgotten pigs in blankets, or going to church, or all of these things. Not watching ninety minutes plus of a match between two teams most of you probably don't even support.

It's Christmas bloody Eve! Leave it alone. There are other days. Not every day has to be football.
Once the kids have grown up Christmas isn’t all that and I wouldn’t mind a trip to the Amex Christmas Eve. Although I don’t think there would be many happy mothers being dumped with the hyper active excitable kid’s Christmas Eve while the men pissed off to the football.
As for sky in most homes it would be a game on in the background so probably a waste of time better to keep it to the traditional Boxing Day.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Ive never understood the need for 10 games over three weeks at Christmas /new year. Its crazy, it must cause injuries, it means a minor injury that any any other time would mean the loss of one, two games could impact a team with players out for 4 or 5 games. Players are knackered. The cost to fans attending games is huge , just at the most expensive time of the year.

To then start having games christmas eve is just compunding difficulties for those attending. To have it early enough to avoid transport hell means taking out all of christmas eve, a time when many would be working (even on a sunday) many would be doing christmas prep, holding parties etc.

Football is nothing without fans- yeah right-

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
They'd better not move it. 23rd is my birthday, watching us thump palace and drinking lots of beer should be my present :tantrum:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I work for a global bank, even in the UK office they don’t even call it Christmas anymore for fear of offending someone somewhere, happy holidays it is.
The TV companies don’t see ‘Christmas eve’, they see a Sunday.
I’d told my lad I’d take him to palace this year for the first time, if it’s moved to CE then that’s in the bin as his Mum wouldn’t have it, and I agree with her.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I work for a global bank, even in the UK office they don’t even call it Christmas anymore for fear of offending someone somewhere, happy holidays it is.
Without wanting to derail the thread, over the years Ive worked in cinemas and call centres with people of many ethnicities and religions. Not once has anyone complained about "Christmas" . Ive had conversations with friends and collegues who are Jewish, Muslim etc and not one of them is offended by the fact that in this country we have Christmas. The ONLY people worried about it are those of the type who are determined to be offended on someone elses behalf. Most were offended that we would think they were ofended by Christmas
Its great that more and more "holidays" from different ethnic and religious groups are officially recognised and marked, but this " happy holidays" is rubbish

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Ridiculous this is but Wolverhampton Express and Star are saying it’s them v Chelsea…

EXCL: Wolves' game with Chelsea at Molineux is being earmarked for Christmas Eve. Will be the first game played in the top flight on that date since 1995.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Or…you could just not watch the football?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’s wrong - everyone needs a break over Christmas unless they played West Ham and Palace. I wouldn’t watch it but just to spite them.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
First weekend of December seems to be the only TV picks announced. Our game at Chelsea will be on Sunday 3rd at 2pm, but not on TV,

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do we assume the spurs game is 15:00?

haveto get back from norf laaandun for it, so hopefully will be moved to 17:30

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Do we assume the spurs game is 15:00?

haveto get back from norf laaandun for it, so hopefully will be moved to 17:30

We don't know what day it's on yet, I'm sure some games will be on 27th.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here