Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christmas games

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the issue a couple of years ago was Liverpool being asked to play at 4pm on Christmas Eve in London, making it impossible to catch the last train. I would have thought more local games played earlier wouldn’t run into that problem.

Like a team from Sussex playing in Croydon, for example…

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Televised game on Christmas Eve.

Who are we due to be playing on 23rd December?

They wouldn't, would they?

I love the way the report says that “the prospect of moving a match to Christmas Eve has always been contentious, bearing in mind the struggles away fans face..”

These are struggles that the PL and TV have created. There’s a danger they’ll be claiming to be solving a problem by exacerbating it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If they’re only going to move one, I think we might be saved by Liverpool v Arsenal

Dev 23 fixtures
Us v them
Forest v Plucky
Fulham v Burnley
City v Brentford
Wolves v Chelsea
West Ham v Utd
Villa v Sheff U
Luton v Saudi FC
Spuds v Everton
Liverpool v Arsenal

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So whichever lucky clubs get to play on Christmas Eve, no doubt means that their Boxing Day gets moved also, while obviously giving their Boxing Day opponents an extra days rest which is critical in the busy Christmas period.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
If our game gets moved as long as it is an early kick off (12:30) it should be ok to get a train to and from Selhurst Park.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is another kick in the teeth for stadium-going fans. Christmas Eve will be a massive pull for armchair fans all over the world but, for the rest of us who actually bother to go and support live, the powers that be LITERALLY could not give a shite.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If they’re only going to move one, I think we might be saved by Liverpool v Arsenal

Dev 23 fixtures
Us v them
Forest v Plucky
Fulham v Burnley
City v Brentford
Wolves v Chelsea
West Ham v Utd
Villa v Sheff U
Luton v Saudi FC
Spuds v Everton
Liverpool v Arsenal
Probably.

However there may a chance that they would be aware of the optics (I know, I know) of leaving Arsenal fans with a long trek back home, so would prefer to select a game where the away fans have a relatively short distance to travel back home. Without doing the math, that would be us I think.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When will the Xmas games be released? Want to organise our usual Christmas Market trip but Arsenal (A) will be either Sunday or Monday for TV (wont be Sat due to Europe) and the Palace could be any day from Friday to Sunday now.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

Dev 23 fixtures
Us v them
Forest v Plucky
Fulham v Burnley
City v Brentford
Wolves v Chelsea
West Ham v Utd
Villa v Sheff U
Luton v Saudi FC
Spuds v Everton
Liverpool v Arsenal
The report specifically says Liverpool v Arsenal NOT being considered

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Dev 23 fixtures
Us v them
Forest v Plucky
Fulham v Burnley
City v Brentford
Wolves v Chelsea
West Ham v Utd
Villa v Sheff U
Luton v Saudi FC
Spuds v Everton
Liverpool v Arsenal

From the link on the OP:

The Telegraph also says that at least one December 23 fixture could be moved to December 24, which this year falls on a Sunday.
But one match believed to not be in contention for a change Liverpool vs Arsenal, the headline clash for that gameweek.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
When will the Xmas games be released? Want to organise our usual Christmas Market trip but Arsenal (A) will be either Sunday or Monday for TV (wont be Sat due to Europe) and the Palace could be any day from Friday to Sunday now.

It's due to be this weekend, but they also have the '6 weeks before' rule, so possibly the Christmas games from around 14 November if they don't release them this week.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I really dislike the Christmas games and the ones on New Year's Day, I can't remember the last matches that I actually went to during this period. I tend to go to the FA Cup 3rd Round tie just to get my Albion fix.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Two factors have potential to turn this into a PR disaster for whoever makes these decisions - the distance involved and the size of the club.

A local game between two clubs outside the big six ticks the boxes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here