Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 17 17.7%

• Total voters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Starter?! Who has room for that? Turkey and trimmings, Xmas pudding, cheeseboard and copious booze is the way to go.

Starters wtf. I’ve normally had 6 or 7 pints of Dark Star APA before I go to the sloe gin pre lunch. Starters 🤭

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No starter for us. never have done, probably never will.

Unless you count sausage rolls in the morning as starters?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am surprised by the leader in this poll as I consider it to be the most overrated starter and is usually ordered in restaurants by people who have no sense of adventure followed by steak and then black forest gateaux. To be accompanied by Mateus Rose.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I am surprised by the leader in this poll as I consider it to be the most overrated starter and is usually ordered in restaurants by people who have no sense of adventure followed by steak and then black forest gateaux. To be accompanied by Mateus Rose.

The 1980s was almost 30 years ago...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You wouldn't think so with Prawn Cocktail as a favourite starter.

Some classics are timeless, and approximately one third of this board will be enjoying it on Xmas day, who are you to tell them that is wrong?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some classics are timeless, and approximately one third of this board will be enjoying it on Xmas day, who are you to tell them that is wrong?

I am not saying they are wrong just surprised that so many are going to settle for such a bland starter; probably because it is easy and quick to make with frozen prawns and Colemans Marie Rose Sauce from a jar.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I am not saying they are wrong just surprised that so many are going to settle for such a bland starter; probably because it is easy and quick to make with frozen prawns and Colemans Marie Rose Sauce from a jar.
Tut.

You can always JAZZ it up with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of paprika or even cayenne. Spice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tut.

You can always JAZZ it up with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of paprika or even cayenne. Spice.

That doesnt change the bland taste as lemon and cayenne are standard ingredients so that can only be achieved with using uncooked prawns and making your own sauce, which not many will do, I wouldn't think. My brother in law is typical of many, if we got to a restaurant for a meal, without looking at the menu he decides on prawn cocktail irrespective of where or how it is made.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Prosecco starts at 9.am and continues until a full roast Turkey Dinner.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t really do a starter with the main meal but breakfast is always scrambled eggs and salmon. It’ll be a nice cuppa rather than Prosecco for me for the second year running as I’ll be working again that night.
Doubt I’ll be doing a main meal on the day but going for restaurant Christmas dinner with friends before the day to make up for it.
It’s all a bit higgeldy piggeldy these days.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Rose wine with steak!? Good Grief!!!:ffsparr:

I know what you mean, though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Me and Mrs Crodo have been putting our Christmas day menu together and we're doing a trio of starters - fresh fruit juice, devilled eggs and melon with finest honey carved ham.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I didn’t realise there was even an alternative to prawn cocktail?! I mean, it’s the greatest dish ever invented. Ketchup, salad cream, dash Worcester sauce and paprika with lemon on side and half an avocado 70s style! No need to ponce about making it fancier, at a stretch I’d add some baby gem lettuce but even that’s a bit ott. Oh, and use Atlantic prawns. None of those foreign tasteless tiger prawns malarkey. Got to be deep sea coldwater ones from North Sea. Yummy. Absolutely deeeeeelicious.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Me and Mrs Crodo have been putting our Christmas day menu together and we're doing a trio of starters - fresh fruit juice, devilled eggs and melon with finest honey carved ham.

Devil eggs? Are you insane?!! Wait until 5pm, your lounge will smell like Santa’s Yule log after all that sherry.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Wrong. Wrong. And wrong again. These 3 are the holy trinity of cordon bleu, a finer menu doesn’t exist, especially if steak is accompanied by onion rings, half a tomato and peas. Oh, and crinkled cut chips. Has to be crinkled cut. To achieve the 3rd Michelin Star add a field mushroom too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here