[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
But I do notice that pretty much everyone seems to recognise that there is something special about Jesus in a way that you don't see with anyone else.
I’ve tried to be polite and acknowledge other people’s beliefs in this discussion, but you’re talking total bollocks. The Jesus who may or may not have existed might have been a nice guy. But to say that everyone recognises there is something special about Jesus is a lie. The Jesus who was written about many, many years after his supposed life has virtually no connection to the real Jesus. If you want evidence of that - read the bible.

Jesus in Mark’s gospel is different to that of Matthew, is different to Luke, is very different to Jesus in John’s gospel, and Jesus described by Paul is someone different again. Note also that the personality and theology of Paul are different in his letters (excluding the forgeries) and how he is described in Acts.

I’d be really interested in hearing your views on this, as most Christians don’t read the bible enough to understand these issues.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He would surely forgive them?

Unless Jesus far from being charitable, kind and forgiving is actually revengeful and malevolent?

Making people fearful of dreadful consequences is not a great look for promoting forgiveness, kindness and love is it.

What kind of God would punish a person who may well have been good, kind and done charitable deeds all their lives, but decides not to believe or worship Jesus? Preaches love you say.
Quite right, if the system allows Jacob Reece Mogg, George W Bush and Cardinal Pell an eternity of heaven and I have to go to the firey pits the. The designer of that system needs to have a word with themselves.

Of course this does also beg the question, is the designer of this system an all loving and kind god or some kind of manic trying to scare people into joining their religion?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You say that no one else could get away with saying that, except Jesus - he didn't get away with it, he was crusified.

And Muslims probably don't believe that Jesus said it in the first place.

There's something special about a lot of people, but we don't claim they're the son of god.
David Ike got away with saying stuff like and didn't get crucified. We all think there is something special about David Ike. So . . .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’ve tried to be polite and acknowledge other people’s beliefs in this discussion, but you’re talking total bollocks. The Jesus who may or may not have existed might have been a nice guy. But to say that everyone recognises there is something special about Jesus is a lie. The Jesus who was written about many, many years after his supposed life has virtually no connection to the real Jesus. If you want evidence of that - read the bible.

Jesus in Mark’s gospel is different to that of Matthew, is different to Luke, is very different to Jesus in John’s gospel, and Jesus described by Paul is someone different again. Note also that the personality and theology of Paul are different in his letters (excluding the forgeries) and how he is described in Acts.

I’d be really interested in hearing your views on this, as most Christians don’t read the bible enough to understand these issues.
When you get to the stage of understanding that the God of the bible was invented by man and does not exist, it is not a great leap to realise that the man invented God, who doesnt exist, did not therefore have a kid.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

It's an interesting point you make, but I can only say that my subjective opinion is that I have not noticed a difference between the Jesus portrayed in the different gospels, or between Paul in his letters and Paul in Acts. I mean, I've read the Bible quite a bit, obviously, but I'm not a complete expert or anything. But the Jesus I see through the pages of the New Testament does come across as the same person in all of them.

For example, in Matthew we have this bit:
While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, ‘Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.’ He replied to him, ‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’ Pointing to his disciples, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.’
And in John, which is supposed to be the more different of the Gospels, we have:
On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, ‘They have no more wine.’
‘Woman, why do you involve me?’ Jesus replied. ‘My hour has not yet come.’
His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’
We get a little insight into the human family side of it. I mean, we've got Jesus trying to get on with his mission, and his family keep coming along, bothering him a bit, and he comes across as slightly exasperated.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Think of the Bear Pit as christian Purgatory without the purification and cleansing after death.
Do we want this thread to go there? It's OK where it is isn't it? Or should it go there?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not true. Christianity has 2.4 billion followers. Christianity is growing extremely fast in China despite being forbidden there.
Yeah, and 1.9 Billion Muslims, and 1.1 Billion Hindus, total 3billion, which is more than 2.4 Billion. I could have worded my post better to make it clearer I was talking combined numbers, to counter the argument that it is "obvious to everyone that Jesus is the way"

It’s very dusty walking with sandals, and the first thing anyone did when entering a house was to remove their sandals and wash their feet.
Ok, but why would he do that for someone without his clothes on?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
It's an interesting point you make, but I can only say that my subjective opinion is that I have not noticed a difference between the Jesus portrayed in the different gospels, or between Paul in his letters and Paul in Acts. I mean, I've read the Bible quite a bit, obviously, but I'm not a complete expert or anything. But the Jesus I see through the pages of the New Testament does come across as the same person in all of them.

For example, in Matthew we have this bit:
While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, ‘Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.’ He replied to him, ‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’ Pointing to his disciples, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.’
And in John, which is supposed to be the more different of the Gospels, we have:
On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, ‘They have no more wine.’
‘Woman, why do you involve me?’ Jesus replied. ‘My hour has not yet come.’
His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’
We get a little insight into the human family side of it. I mean, we've got Jesus trying to get on with his mission, and his family keep coming along, bothering him a bit, and he comes across as slightly exasperated.
Regarding Paul, we have this in Acts:
They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe. strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith.
And this in 2 Corinthians:
Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Yeah, and 1.9 Billion Muslims, and 1.1 Billion Hindus, total 3billion, which is more than 2.4 Billion. I could have worded my post better to make it clearer I was talking combined numbers, to counter the argument that it is "obvious to everyone that Jesus is the way"

Ok, but why would he do that for someone without his clothes on?
So as not to have his cloak get in the way.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I previously someone mentioned morphic resonance. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, but it's certainly an interesting theory.
The conclusions of this study https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550830710000820 seen to indicate that there is something to it.
In this study, participants accurately recognized significantly more of the genuine than the false Chinese characters that they had previously been exposed to. This is consistent with the theory of morphic resonance, which suggests that by dint of the repeated learning of the genuine characters among generations of Chinese speakers, a morphic field exists that directs or channels future learners such that it is easier to learn what others have learned before, rather than something novel.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you want to be reconciled to God, you have to go through Jesus.
Bet all those Jews that lived and died before Jesus came along are a bit miffed about that. He told them they were his chosen people, but now they are not getting into his house because they didn't believe the updates were true. Maybe you will find you are in the same boat when the time comes, as you ignored the updates from Mohammed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports