Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I will pick you up on: "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." I would say children should question their parents, not just blindly obey them.

It's a two-way thing. Children should obey their parents, not ignore their instructions, but parents must also be reasonable:
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
We're talking about children here. I take it you expect parents to look after their children, buy them clothes, feed them, give them love, basically do everything for them, but when they tell them it's time for bed, or not to stay out too long, or to take the rubbish out, you want the child to talk back and ask why, and perhaps refuse.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My wife’s best friend is a paid up christian with all the bell ringing and church services etc. On her last visit I asked her a whole heap of questions regarding her faith and things that I thought were contradictions in religion and the bible. Her main response was that it depended how you interpreted the bible and even e mailed her vicar who sent her pages of stuff to answer my questions. She never forwarded his e mail to me.
Christianity is the jazz of religions. It is as much about the passengers you don't real as the ones you do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It does say that, doesn't it.
I don't know whether that's actually true or not, but I do know that quite a few scientists do take it seriously.
Remember your teachings brother. Just ignore that which disproves the love of our Lord. We must amplify the truth and silence the doubt in all of us.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I don't know why you say "Wow" - your behaviour is the definition of zealotry.
Is it indeed? And if it is, is that a bad thing?

Interesting article you cite:
"In the earliest literature of the Jewish Rabbis, Jesus was denounced as the illegitimate child of Mary and a sorcerer. Among pagans, the satirist Lucian and philosopher Celsus dismissed Jesus as a scoundrel"
I notice you miss about the significance of this. Very selective of you:
Strikingly, there was never any debate in the ancient world about whether Jesus of Nazareth was a historical figure. In the earliest literature of the Jewish Rabbis, Jesus was denounced as the illegitimate child of Mary and a sorcerer. Among pagans, the satirist Lucian and philosopher Celsus dismissed Jesus as a scoundrel, but we know of no one in the ancient world who questioned whether Jesus lived.

"a recent survey discovered that 40% of adults in England did not believe that Jesus was a real historical figure."
A bit weird that you quote that, considering that the point being made is that it contrasts with expert opinion.
Again, you are being selective:
It is worth noting, though, that the two mainstream historians who have written most against these hypersceptical arguments are atheists: Maurice Casey (formerly of Nottingham University) and Bart Ehrman (University of North Carolina). They have issued stinging criticisms of the “Jesus-myth” approach, branding it pseudo-scholarship. Nevertheless, a recent survey discovered that 40% of adults in England did not believe that Jesus was a real historical figure.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it indeed? And if it is, is that a bad thing?

I notice you miss about the significance of this. Very selective of you:
Strikingly, there was never any debate in the ancient world about whether Jesus of Nazareth was a historical figure. In the earliest literature of the Jewish Rabbis, Jesus was denounced as the illegitimate child of Mary and a sorcerer. Among pagans, the satirist Lucian and philosopher Celsus dismissed Jesus as a scoundrel, but we know of no one in the ancient world who questioned whether Jesus lived.

A bit weird that you quote that, considering that the point being made is that it contrasts with expert opinion.
Again, you are being selective:
It is worth noting, though, that the two mainstream historians who have written most against these hypersceptical arguments are atheists: Maurice Casey (formerly of Nottingham University) and Bart Ehrman (University of North Carolina). They have issued stinging criticisms of the “Jesus-myth” approach, branding it pseudo-scholarship. Nevertheless, a recent survey discovered that 40% of adults in England did not believe that Jesus was a real historical figure.
Keep going kuzushi I can feel them turning, you are really getting to them. Their anger and rejection is just their confusion getting ready to dissipate.

A few more bible quotes will completed their washing , I mean enlightenment, yes enlightenment.

And do another table, tables are the best way to express the glory of God!

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Keep going kuzushi I can feel them turning, you are really getting to them. Their anger and rejection is just their confusion getting ready to dissipate.

A few more bible quotes will completed their washing , I mean enlightenment, yes enlightenment.

And do another table, tables are the best way to express the glory of God!

Tables can help to make things clear, don't you think?
Do you think people are angry? Why is that do you think? It's a bit strange, isn't it? I mean, if they think it's all nonsense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't remember where you stand now. Perhaps you can remind me, do you accept that Jesus existed and was crucified, as virtually all scholars agree, or are do you hold some kind of fringe belief about that?

I can remind you.
I think it's likely that someone referred to as Jesus existed. They may or may not have been crucified - if I had to guess, I'd say they probably were. Believing otherwise however, would not be some fringe belief. In believing that Jesus was resurrected, it is you who have a fringe belief, if that's the way you want to categorise these things.

Well, that depends on whether Jesus rose from the dead or not.
If he did, then he's going to be the one we need to be following.
Yes I agree, it would certainly add considerable weight to what is otherwise a baseless religion. Equally, you will find many scholars who are sure that the Quran was the direct word of god, transcribed by Mohammed, and if that's true, then we should be following Mohammed, not Jesus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would admit to anything if it meant not having all these carefully selected passages from the Bible quoted at me.

It's too much.

kuzushi is rubbing his hands together: 'It's working!'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You might think you're not, but that's not the same thing.

Buddha's not going to help you. He's dead. His body was cremated. Muhammad is also dead, and buried in Medina in Saudi Arabia.
Now there is a case to be made that Jesus rose from the dead.

No there isn't. You made the case and it's been rejected.

It's known that he was crucified, and that his followers reported that he rose again a couple of days afterwards

Nope, that isn't known. That's the story the people wrote down many years later.

It's also reported in the gospel of John that there was a head-cloth and linen burial clothes. And guess what.... several centuries later, someone read the stories and faked the cloth

Fixed for accuracy

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Talking about the Turin Shroud, the article says "it is hard to find historians who regard this material as serious archaeological data".

And yet kuzushi carries on as though the Shroud got proven to be real some pages back, and hopes we've forgotten that the opposite is true.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
And yet kuzushi carries on as though the Shroud got proven to be real some pages back, and hopes we've forgotten that the opposite is true.
Did you google about Peter Schumacher?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Very good. I think we may need to find some comfy leather chairs, a bottle of Benraich, access to the history of music (Youtube will do) and some very excellent speakers. Channel 4 can film it. :wink: :lolol:

I'm not saying I don't like lyrics, but when it comes to actual singing, at a gig, sorry but I want to join in. For that nothing beats VNVNation. Seen them around 5 times. Electronic music and everyone singing like they are at the football. Emotional.

I have derailed this thread enough so won't post anything.
Ooh, I do like a Speyside.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
how very condescending, feck your fictitious god multiple times and feck you.

prat.

objective achieved, moved to other stuff, just like your poxy religion

I'll pray for you because I can see you need it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's a two-way thing. Children should obey their parents, not ignore their instructions, but parents must also be reasonable:
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
We're talking about children here. I take it you expect parents to look after their children, buy them clothes, feed them, give them love, basically do everything for them, but when they tell them it's time for bed, or not to stay out too long, or to take the rubbish out, you want the child to talk back and ask why, and perhaps refuse.
That's not what your carefully chosen passage says though, is it? What you're suggesting would be found in a more modern and relevant self-help book on parenting.

I'm glad this has been moved to The other Stuff, that's the best place for cherry picked bible quotes.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'll pray for you because I can see you need it.
save your preys for yourself, because as you draw your last breath and pass on to nothingness.
you will realise, you could have spent your wasted hours on worship, with family, friends and enjoyment.
Your not living life, your existing and dutifully obeying stories, myths, that have been altered for personal and political reasons, your a fool.

I wish you all the best, I am not evil, I do not need saving, i do NOT need your preys, I am living, loving, making mistakes, as normal as can be human, respecting where respect is reciprocated,

Your God does not exist, I’m sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here