Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood, what were we saying?!

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
How big do you think we are? If you went to Almeria, I bet theyd be scratching their heads over "Brighton?" .... Its spanish football, so "probably" as good if not better than the Championship, and he has pretty good stats. yet youd go for Chris Wood (not good enough for WBA, has scored goals at Brighton, Birmingham, Millwall, Leicester) but NOT a guy who has good stats for a solid second div team in the country that are pretty much the bees knees in football at the moment.

I know its only opinion, but I dont think you can assume that spanish football is of a poorer standard than ours - all evidence points the other way. He may be a flop. But I dont that will be a reason.

I think we are massive, we live in town that has gained city status in recent years, we are one of the most visited places in the uk and a top destination for weekends away etc etc

Almeria dosen't even have passport control at their airport you just walk straight out its a sleepy town in southern spain

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I think we are massive, we live in town that has gained city status in recent years, we are one of the most visited places in the uk and a top destination for weekends away etc etc

Almeria dosen't even have passport control at their airport you just walk straight out its a sleepy town in southern spain

I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything? Wigan is hardly a hotbed of culture in this country but seem to do pretty well.

Anyone who scores nigh on thirty goals at any professional level is doing well. Let alone the equivalent league to ours in Spain.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything? Wigan is hardly a hotbed of culture in this country but seem to do pretty well.

Anyone who scores nigh on thirty goals at any professional level is doing well. Let alone the equivalent league to ours in Spain.

What I was saying is yes we are a bigger club than Almeria and I think the championship is of a higher standard than the Spanish equivalent

Look below at the Almeria squad from august 2012.....heard of any of the players???? I havent but im sure Almeria Fans have heard of

Bridge, Saltor, Kuszczak, Vicente, Orlandi, Lopez

Current squad

Retrieved on 2 August 2012[1]

No. Position Player
1 Spain GK Esteban (third-captain)
3 Uruguay DF Marcelo Silva
4 Argentina DF Hernán Pellerano
5 Spain DF Ángel Trujillo
6 Spain MF Fernando Soriano (vice-captain)
7 Spain MF Verza
8 Spain MF Aleix Vidal
9 Brazil FW Charles
10 Spain MF Rubén Suárez
11 Spain MF Abel Molinero
15 Spain MF Corona (captain)
17 Spain DF Álvaro Mejía
18 Spain DF Christian
19 Spain MF Carlos Calvo
20 Spain DF Rafita
21 Uruguay DF Adrián Gunino (on loan from Fénix)
22 Spain MF Javi Casquero
25 Spain GK Diego García
28 Spain DF Raúl García
33 Burkina Faso FW Jonathan

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I wasn't bothered to see Wood leave after his loan spell, but he has clearly started to prove himself capable in the Championship.

But maybe our style didn't suit him here? And Millwall and Leicester have played more to his strengths? I think once we let him go, we passed on any chances of buying him at a later date - why would a player want to go back to a manager who didn't have the faith only a year earlier?

And perhaps the change in fortune in front of goal is what we'd see from CMS if he left us? I still don't think we play to his strengths.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What I was saying is yes we are a bigger club than Almeria and I think the championship is of a higher standard than the Spanish equivalent

Look below at the Almeria squad from august 2012.....heard of any of the players???? I havent but im sure Almeria Fans have heard of

Current squad

No. Position Player
7 Spain MF Verza
8 Spain MF Aleix Vidal
9 Brazil FW Charles
10 Spain MF Rubén Suárez
17 Spain DF Álvaro Mejía
18 Spain DF Christian
19 Spain MF Carlos Calvo
20 Spain DF Rafita
25 Spain GK Diego García
28 Spain DF Raúl García

That's because we've got quite a large spanish contingent. Show them Bristol City's squad, or Derby's, Or Cardiff's and they wouldn't have heard of them either.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Brighton doesn't even have an airport, what does that tell you?

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
That's because we've got quite a large spanish contingent. Show them Bristol City's squad, or Derby's, Or Cardiff's and they wouldn't have heard of them either.

We are talking about Brighton ......Not Cardiff, Bristol City, or Derby ....dont move the goal posts!!!!

Also that steal leaves Kuszczak, Bridge, and the fact we know they know our players shows we must be the bigger club end of!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Woods have proved me wrong. I was in the No camp when people were talking about us potentially buying him....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are talking about Brighton ......Not Cardiff, Bristol City, or Derby ....dont move the goal posts!!!!

Also that steal leaves Kuszczak, Bridge, and the fact we know they know our players shows we must be the bigger club end of!

He isn't moving the goal posts but comparing like for like.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

Current squad

No. Position Player
7 Spain MF Verza
8 Spain MF Aleix Vidal
9 Brazil FW Charles
10 Spain MF Rubén Suárez
17 Spain DF Álvaro Mejía
18 Spain DF Christian
19 Spain MF Carlos Calvo
20 Spain DF Rafita
25 Spain GK Diego García
28 Spain DF Raúl García

Don't really get your point.......I'm sure Swansea supporters hadn't heard of Michu 'til he signed, doesn't make him bad, or from an inferior club.....

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

As someone else has mentioned - comparing like for like. One is a bigger side, one the same, one smaller.

I'm still not sure what your point is. Are 'worse' (in your eyes') clubs not allowed to have players good enough for our level?

No doubt you'd be delighted if we were signing someone from League 2 with his sort of goal-scoring record just because you'd heard of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here