Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] chris wood to arabia-on-tyne

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Money well spent to knock Burnley out of the survival race.

They now just need to nobble Watford.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wow, £22m for a striker to replace Callum Wilson whilst injured. The other options must have dried up. Amazingly short sighted.

I heard something on the BBC transfer pod about Newcastle’s transfer policy this window.

For every target position, they want two players. An experienced EPL/top level player (Wood) and a youngster punt who could end up world class (Ekiktike).

An interesting strategy, especially as they are keen to rid any rivals of their best players. I wonder if the likes of Raphinha and Phillips have buy-out clauses? Newcastle will find out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If we were in the teeth of a relegation battle and flogged one of our better players to a direct rival I’d be furious

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If we were in the teeth of a relegation battle and flogged one of our better players to a direct rival I’d be furious

Yes - I must be missing something. Are Burnley desperate for the cash? It seems completely bizarre to sell your best forward to a relegation rival.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Is the correct answer. Rumour has it, Newcastle discovered Wood had a buy-out clause in his contract. Burnley are powerless to prevent him leaving.

That explains it. 3 out of the bottom 4 are in all likelihood going down. I couldn't think of any reason why Burnley (or any PL team for that matter) would sell to them unless it was a completely ridiculous offer given how much the TV money is worth. I naturally assumed almost all their winter signings would be from abroad for that reason. Surely the other 19 chairman would like to see them relegated?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Doesn’t feel like an Eddie Howe style signing in terms of attacking fluent football. More Tony Pulis lump it up to the big man. *See also Burnley
He’s good in front of goal and very very quick. Him & St Maximin breaking from halfway…………. I’d predict plenty of goals

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Toon fans expecting to sign an exotic forest. Instead they get an old wood???
Newcastle are pants this season, so they are making three clubs...er...pantsier

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
this. in terms of staying up, it's actually pretty smart. norwich and watford are almost certainly going down, burnley are the only ones who have enough real quality to keep newcastle in the bottom 3. taking their 10 goal player changes that picture substantially

No problem. I've heard from a safe, knowing source (THPP) that Ashley Barnes is better than Maupay and Welbeck, so he should score 10 or so goals until the end of the season.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Chris Wood has scored 3 goals in the PL this season. Hardly in a rich vein of form.
Clever but deeply cynical approach by Newcastle to cause damage to a direct rival.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
He’s good in front of goal and very very quick. Him & St Maximin breaking from halfway…………. I’d predict plenty of goals

Never thought of him as quick. So Eddie decides to go route 1 for this season and hopes to stay up. Then buy a new squad for next season to play expansive attacking football. Sounds like a plan.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Clarets fan here. Dyche has been playing Wood when he's desperately needed dropping, he's been underwhelming this season.

Bit of an odd one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They're going to struggle to sign any star quality this window all the while they're staring the Championship in the face. What also won't help is the current lack of an experienced CEO / Director of Football to help grease the wheels, use some contacts and get deals over the line (keep your powder dry please Dan).

I guess they'll potentially get some mercenaries who will sign for the silly money IF there are release clauses in case they end up making trips to Barnsley and Luton next season. The rest of the squad already know they're all likely to be replaced whether they stay up or not - that'll be really motivating for them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH the way this makes sense most is they’re doing their striker business before poaching Ashworth who can’t find one for us for toffee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here