Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood & Glenn Murray

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gus made a mistake with Murray, but every manager makes mistakes and so we move on. And in Ulloa Gus has bought a gem. It is a privilege to watch this guy play. As for Murray, I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Gus has implied it was Ken Brown that blocked this. We had a transfer budget, we had a wage budget, he could not take some transfer money, and put it in the wage pot. We could not match what Palace offered. This was a problem he has now sorted out with the board.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Bit of a silly thread this. Both strikers have lost there scoring touch lately and when that happens confidence takes a hit which makes players look shit.

Palace got an absolute steal of us in Murray and Leicester have signed a cracking young player for peanuts.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Bit of a silly thread this. Both strikers have lost there scoring touch lately and when that happens confidence takes a hit which makes players look shit.

Palace got an absolute steal of us in Murray and Leicester have signed a cracking young player for peanuts.

Agreed.

I don't think the OP understands the concept of a striker being in form.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

How do you know West Brom sold him for peanuts? Millwall wanted to buy him but were outbid by Leicester.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
How do you know West Brom sold him for peanuts? Millwall wanted to buy him but were outbid by Leicester.

1.25 million for a striker who was banging in goals at the time and just 21 years old.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That's the transfer fee but what about his weekly wages?

Who's knows what players are on so there's little point in discussing in. I'm going on transfer fees as that is what information we do know.

The fee paid for Wood as for as i'm concerned was peanuts. A player who was scoring every week in the championship.

Compare the fee to CMS,Hoskins,Dobbie and even Ulloa . I know Ulloa is banging them in but we still paid 2 million for him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who's knows what players are on so there's little point in discussing in. I'm going on transfer fees as that is what information we do know.

The fee paid for Wood as for as i'm concerned was peanuts. A player who was scoring every week in the championship.

Compare the fee to CMS,Hoskins,Dobbie and even Ulloa . I know Ulloa is banging them in but we still paid 2 million for him.

Fee was relative to his contract state though. His agent would have pushed for a high signing on fee, wages etc.

Look at Leicesters wages to turnover ratio and try to tell me they are not paying massive wages.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Fee was relative to his contract state though. His agent would have pushed for a high signing on fee, wages etc.

Look at Leicesters wages to turnover ratio and try to tell me they are not paying massive wages.

What players don't push for high signing on fees and wages etc? How do you think players like Vicente/Bruno/Lopez etc signed?

Whatever way you look at it the fee is still cheap. I would be very surprised if they lost money on Wood where as CMS....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What players don't push for high signing on fees and wages etc? How do you think players like Vicente/Bruno/Lopez etc signed?

Listen to the podcast from Orlandi about wages in Spain. They are a lot lower and sometimes don't get paid into the bank at all.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Whatever way you look at it the fee is still cheap. I would be very surprised if they lost money on Wood where as CMS....

Its easier for an agent to push for a high signing on fee if transfer is cheap due to a short / no contract.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Its easier for an agent to push for a high signing on fee if transfer is cheap due to a short / no contract.

You can say the same when a few clubs get into a bidding war with a player.Agents can start demanding higher fees. Anyway give me Wood over CMS all day long. Just have to agree to disagree on this. Be interesting to see what we paid in agent fees this season.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Gus has implied it was Ken Brown that blocked this. We had a transfer budget, we had a wage budget, he could not take some transfer money, and put it in the wage pot. We could not match what Palace offered. This was a problem he has now sorted out with the board.

Wasn't it more that the club were capping wages at 10k or 10k plus bonuses and Murray wanted 15k which would have broken the cap and meant EVERYBODY new (lots of free transfers for established players since) wanting higher wages?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can say the same when a few clubs get into a bidding war with a player.Agents can start demanding higher fees. Anyway give me Wood over CMS all day long. Just have to agree to disagree on this. Be interesting to see what we paid in agent fees this season.

Not disagreeing, I think Wood is a good prospect, but there is a reason why Gus didn't go back. Maybe we knew we were priced out. I am sure he is on a very hefty wedge at Leicester

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I made the mistake of underestimating Wood when he was down here with Millwall earlier this season, not gonna do it again. He is capable of causing us big problems.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not disagreeing, I think Wood is a good prospect, but there is a reason why Gus didn't go back. Maybe we knew we were priced out. I am sure he is on a very hefty wedge at Leicester

At that time West Brom weren't looking to sell him. He went out on loan to Birmingham and Bristol City. Then last summer he went to Millwall until WBA finally sold him this January.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What people seem to forget is that at the time we lost Murray Gus already had Ulloa in his sights as the alternative striker. I wonder which one of them will be the subject of transfer speculation to a premier club in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here