Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Wilder has left Sheffield United...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Saudi owner wants to bring in a Director of Football to oversee recruitment. It is clear that poor recruitment has been a big factor, but how much of that is down to Wilder and how much of that is down to the board remains to be seen.

However, I think the chairman has made a huge error. Although recruitment has been poor it is injuries that have killed Wilder. His success last year was built on a rock-solid defence - the 4th best in the Prem with only 39 goals conceded. This season they've been without O'Connell for the whole season, and big chunks of it without Baldock, Stevens, Egan, plus other key players Berge, Fleck, McBurnie - the list really does go on.

You could see this going very wrong for the Blades. Finishing 9th last season was an incredible achievement, and Wilder raised expectations and made a rod for his own back. I feel he could have brought them straight back up next season once his players had recovered their fitness, but now you could see that side breaking up.

You've mentioned poor recruitment and then mentioned key players, two of whom - McBurnie and Berge - had long running threads on here where people were clamouring for us to sign them. And then there's Brewster.....

Another lesson for NSC that not every transfer works out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You've mentioned poor recruitment and then mentioned key players, two of whom - McBurnie and Berge - had long running threads on here where people were clamouring for us to sign them. And then there's Brewster.....

McBurnie only missed 2 matches in their successful 2019/20 Prem campaign, while Berge came in the Jan 20 window, played 14 matches and looked decent.

However, because so many players have been injured this season the Blades just never got started. I'd actually be happy to swap Welbeck, Propper and Connolly for McBurnie, Berge and Brewster.

You suggest McBurnie hasn't worked out, but he was the Blades' joint top scorer last season, and when you're only conceding 39 goals and have Lundstram, Fleck, Mousset, Sharp, McGoldrick also chipping in with 4-6 goals apiece then you are competitive.

McBurnie's goal production is down this season but he has been out injured or playing through injury. I think having played under Potter at Swansea it wouldn't be a bad bench option for us to acquire this summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
McBurnie only missed 2 matches in their successful 2019/20 Prem campaign, while Berge came in the Jan 20 window, played 14 matches and looked decent.

However, because so many players have been injured this season the Blades just never got started. I'd actually be happy to swap Welbeck, Propper and Connolly for McBurnie, Berge and Brewster.

You suggest McBurnie hasn't worked out, but he was the Blades' joint top scorer last season, and when you're only conceding 39 goals and have Lundstram, Fleck, Mousset, Sharp, McGoldrick also chipping in with 4-6 goals apiece then you are competitive.

McBurnie's goal production is down this season but he has been out injured or playing through injury. I think having played under Potter at Swansea it wouldn't be a bad bench option for us to acquire this summer.

Not my intention. My point was rather that recruitment cannot be that poor with such good key players. Until the squad players turn out to be useless.

They've signed players we were interested in according to many on here, yet their backups wouldn't displace anyone we've got.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
Strange timing.

If they had any hope of staying up then they should have sacked him two months ago (although having said that they've won at Old Trafford and beaten Aston Villa). If they wanted to save valuable money they could have waited until the inevitable relegation and not had to pay out bonuses - if there were any.

Something tells me a manager has expressed a recent interest and I think that man could be Smug Eddie. If I was a chairman, he'd be someone that could stem the bleeding from Sheffield United IMO. Who knows though?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Who do they hope to replace him? and when? Unless a very good manager was available to them now it all seems odd timing. Maybe they'll give the job to a coach currently there until summer.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As much as I want them to drop to help our cause, I really like the bloke.

Always honest, he managed his club, he got them promoted on a low-ish budget and it p'd off envious Massive.

I hope he has success elsewhere, but not at Smellhurst.

I was actually the opposite - I found him a bit confrontational

I have never actually met the bloke but the time he slagged his goalkeeper off and the time he slagged off the Board for not bringing in players. That tended to suggest he might be slightly antagonistic or confrontational when dealing with people.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Strange timing.

If they had any hope of staying up then they should have sacked him two months ago (although having said that they've won at Old Trafford and beaten Aston Villa). If they wanted to save valuable money they could have waited until the inevitable relegation and not had to pay out bonuses - if there were any.

Something tells me a manager has expressed a recent interest and I think that man could be Smug Eddie. If I was a chairman, he'd be someone that could stem the bleeding from Sheffield United IMO. Who knows though?

Prem experience - tick
Knows how to get promote from the Championship -tick
Likes to play attacking football - tick
Has operated on a tight budget -tick
English-speaking for a heavily British/Irish squad - tick.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Quite like McBurnie......would certainly make us less one dimensional

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Quite like McBurnie......would certainly make us less one dimensional

Yeah I phrased my first reply really badly.

McBurnie would be excellent here and I'd have loved Berge.

Brewster? Not so much. No better than what we have.

I think my point was that their recruitment team beat us to their "key players" (if you believe posts on here!) so they certainly don't have poor recruitment - just different, in that what was left in the pot provided poor squad players and the nucleus of the League One side.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah I phrased my first reply really badly.

McBurnie would be excellent here and I'd have loved Berge.

Brewster? Not so much. No better than what we have.

I think my point was that their recruitment team beat us to their "key players" (if you believe posts on here!) so they certainly don't have poor recruitment - just different, in that what was left in the pot provided poor squad players and the nucleus of the League One side.

While I love Oli and definitely think its the right type of player needed in the summer (regardless of division)... he is really not that good. Think the other person (@edna krabappel) who saw a bit of Potter Swansea would agree with me on this one. Swansea must have been shocked to get those kind of money for him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was actually the opposite - I found him a bit confrontational

I have never actually met the bloke but the time he slagged his goalkeeper off and the time he slagged off the Board for not bringing in players. That tended to suggest he might be slightly antagonistic or confrontational when dealing with people.

Yorkshiremen - they’re bred tuff and to be straight talkers.:smile:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd take him in a heartbeat if Potter left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here