Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris 'Was Not Was' Hughton

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well, I based my one hit wonder assumption on the fact that I could not name one other hit single by Was (Not Was) except for Walk the Dinosaur.

I don't count producing or working with other artists. As a group, Was (Not Was) were OHW's. Unless you can tell me otherwise (without googling)

You are right in that I could not name anything else they had done without googling. So on that basis, yes, One Hit Wonders.

I just take that expression (probably wrongly) to be totally dismissive, to have connotations of someone with no talent being set up with a good song by an astute manager but then not being able to do anything else decent afterwards. Just a matter of interpretation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You are right in that I could not name anything else they had done without googling. So on that basis, yes, One Hit Wonders.

I just take that expression (probably wrongly) to be totally dismissive, to have connotations of someone with no talent being set up with a good song by an astute manager but then not being able to do anything else decent afterwards. Just a matter of interpretation.

It IS a dismissive expression - but I guess the fact that I've somehow retained their one hit somewhere within the recesses of my addled swede, and recalled it some 30-odd years later (yikes) when I saw their name in a thread title, proves they made a dent on the populous at one point in their career at least. And its one hit more than most others will ever achieve !

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Nothing wrong with split infinitives. The "rule" against them is an ill-judged attempt to impose Latin grammar onto English.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, I based my one hit wonder assumption on the fact that I could not name one other hit single by Was (Not Was) except for Walk the Dinosaur.

I don't count producing or working with other artists. As a group, Was (Not Was) were OHW's. Unless you can tell me otherwise (without googling)
I DO believe Was (not Was) were the first band to rhyme 'computer' with 'cuter', something along the lines of:

"She took me to the bedroom,
To show me her computer,
She asked me if I liked it,
I told her she was cuter."

That's from "Anything can Happen" which was released in about 1987 - so lyrically it was quite cutting edge technologically speaking even if it wasn't a massive UK hit.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Totally with the OP on this.

My mum was an English teacher and I had grammar and punctuation drilled into me from an early age. Badly spoken English drives me mad although I agree there are far more important things in the world.

Couldn't agree with you more!

At times, I really wish Chris was more pacific in what he is saying in his post match comments.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The rant - I don't understand how an articulate, hardly stupid man like Chris Hughton can persist in using 'was' in place of 'were' in his interviews. I can understand it with less articulate guilty parties such as Palace thicko Pardew and Villa thicko Sherwood, but CH, really?

The advance apology - Advance apologies for the rant, and it is a trivial thing in the grand scheme of things, but CH will arguably be a role model for a lot of youngsters and it just seems like sheer laziness.

Hopes for this thread - a debate on lazy speak in general.

I'm wiv ewe on this. Makes my blud boyle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I DO believe Was (not Was) were the first band to rhyme 'computer' with 'cuter', something along the lines of:

"She took me to the bedroom,
To show me her computer,
She asked me if I liked it,
I told her she was cuter."

That's from "Anything can Happen" which was released in about 1987 - so lyrically it was quite cutting edge technologically speaking even if it wasn't a massive UK hit.

Inventive. They'd clearly progressed from Dinosaur, which contained the following pearls amongst its lyrical prose:

One night I dreamed of New York
You and I roasting blue pork
In the Statue of Liberty's torch

"Pork" and "torch" is a bit of a stretch, but there's quite a heavy bass so they probably got away with it.

"The sun was spitting fire, the sky was blue as ice
I felt a little tired, so I watched 'Miami Vice' "

Textbook, to be fair.

"Elvis landed in a rocket, rocket, rocket ship
Healed a couple of lepers and disappeared
But where was his beard ?"

Trebling up on the word "rocket" in the first line so that they have enough syllables for it to scan ? That's shoddy stuff. I'm not even sure I fully understand the rest of it.

Lyrical mavericks though, gotta hand it to them. We may never see their like again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here