Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris 'Was Not Was' Hughton

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
So who has noticed his strange use of 'no'.

Eg ' Chris, a great result today?' .....CH... 'No, I thought we played very well and it was a hard fought game.'

Just watch a few of his interviews. He just needs to think of the opposite of 'no' and slot it into his sentences. Maybe he doesn't want to come across as a 'yes' man?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I thought this was going to be a startling revelation about CH being involved with an 80's one-hit wonder.

Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

One hit wonder????

Share the OP's view, though. Such things always jar with me. Split infinitives really get my goat.

But I can cope with it. What CH says always seems to make perfect sense, even if the grammar might occasionally fall short.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Eg ' Chris, a great result today?' .....CH... 'No, I thought we played very well and it was a hard fought game.'

Just watch a few of his interviews. He just needs to think of the opposite of 'no' and slot it into his sentences. Maybe he doesn't want to come across as a 'yes' man?

Adam Virgo was a great one for starting sentences with "Yeah, no, we're pleased with the performance...etc". And finishing them with "You know". I don't know if he still does it. Lots of footballers do that in interview.

On this note, has anyone heard Harry Kane being interviewed? I heard him speak for the first time at the weekend. Erm...he's not the most eloquent, is he? Safe to say he probably didn't put "Astrophysicist" on the school careers form when they asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up :ohmy:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just a little bit of topic, why do Australians start a lot of sentences with " Look"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Adam Virgo was a great one for starting sentences with "Yeah, no, we're pleased with the performance...etc". And finishing them with "You know". I don't know if he still does it. Lots of footballers do that in interview.

On this note, has anyone heard Harry Kane being interviewed? I heard him speak for the first time at the weekend. Erm...he's not the most eloquent, is he? Safe to say he probably didn't put "Astrophysicist" on the school careers form when they asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up :ohmy:

Harry Kane has a weird accent for someone born and raised in Essex.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just a little bit of topic, why do Australians start a lot of sentences with " Look"

Or, even better, with "Yeah, no, look..." #RickyPonting

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One hit wonder????

Share the OP's view, though. Such things always jar with me. Split infinitives really get my goat.

But I can cope with it. What CH says always seems to make perfect sense, even if the grammar might occasionally fall short.

I had a feeling my reference would prove to be a bit obscure...

[yt]vgiDcJi534Y[/yt]

Was (Not Was).

In hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The rant - I don't understand how an articulate, hardly stupid man like Chris Hughton can persist in using 'was' in place of 'were' in his interviews. I can understand it with less articulate guilty parties such as Palace thicko Pardew and Villa thicko Sherwood, but CH, really?

The advance apology - Advance apologies for the rant, and it is a trivial thing in the grand scheme of things, but CH will arguably be a role model for a lot of youngsters and it just seems like sheer laziness.

Hopes for this thread - a debate on lazy speak in general.

I'm with you on this. It's not exactly difficult for an intelligent guy to speak properly. At the moment he's setting a very poor example.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I think all of us fall into the trap of answering a question with "Yes, No .... " It's bloody irritating and I'm trying hard to ensure I stop doing it. Not easy though.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

I'd thought he had an anaphylactic shock by the languid use of his tongue.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I had a feeling my reference would prove to be a bit obscure...

[yt]vgiDcJi534Y[/yt]

Was (Not Was).

In hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered.

But I was trying to say they were MORE than a one hit wonder, which is an expression that to me would indicate they had one big hit and then faded in to total obscurity. Haven't they produced or worked with just about everyone worth producing?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Because that's the way they speak where he was brought up. English isn't just RP, you know, there is no correct way to speak it. Ask any linguist.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Perhaps the ''was'' came from his father who may have used it as English would initially have been his 2nd language , given that he is Gahnahan

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But I was trying to say they were MORE than a one hit wonder, which is an expression that to me would indicate they had one big hit and then faded in to total obscurity. Haven't they produced or worked with just about everyone worth producing?

Well, I based my one hit wonder assumption on the fact that I could not name one other hit single by Was (Not Was) except for Walk the Dinosaur.

I don't count producing or working with other artists. As a group, Was (Not Was) were OHW's. Unless you can tell me otherwise (without googling)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here