Chris Powell

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've just seen this on Twitter. If true, then it makes it far worse imo.

Simon Thomas ‏@SimonThomasSky 33m

Powell was offered a new contract last week. Signed it. Was returned by Roland Duchâtelet unsigned with the message you're sacked. #CAFC

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've just seen this on Twitter. If true, then it makes it far worse imo.

Simon Thomas ‏@SimonThomasSky 33m

Powell was offered a new contract last week. Signed it. Was returned by Roland Duchâtelet unsigned with the message you're sacked. #CAFC

That can't be true can it? Surely?

I know football is a cut throat business at the best of times but to be that callous when removing someone from their job would be breathtaking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That can't be true can it? Surely?

I know football is a cut throat business at the best of times but to be that callous when removing someone from their job would be breathtaking.

I agree. Jose Riga is already at the training ground this morning apparently.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That's a terrible move. Powell's done a great job at Charlton on really limited resources. When he took over, they were in the bottom half of League One but in the space of a season they won League One in a canter. OK, they are bottom of the table right now, but they have games in hand and there are mitigating circumstances. Charlton are potless, hence in January they had to sell Dale Stephens to Brighton and Yann Kermogant to Bournemouth. They now have a new owner who is Belgian, and lo and behold, the favourite to replace Powell is also Belgian. It's not what you know sometimes, is it? I'd say it's worrying times ahead for Charlton given that their new owner seems to want to make them a feeder club for Standard Liege and the other going concerns he has.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Charlton have been turned into a feeder club, and now they are to be used to "test" potential managers from other teams in the owner's stable and contacts.

I quite like Charton - except when we play them,of course, - and Powell and their supporters deserve better than this. He will probably get another club if he wants it. The supporters don't have that option, do they.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I hope Charlton stay up as its a nice easy awayday and with the good possibility of Fulham, Orient and Brentford in the Championship next season it will save the pennies

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For Charlton read Watford, for Powell read Dyche and for Duchatelet read Pozzo.

What makes it worse for Charlton is that they were clearly second at best in the Duchatelet 6-club 'food chain'.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was waiting for Sol Campbell to brand Powell's sacking 'racist' when he was interviewed on the radio today but he was only concerned to expound on his perception of racism applied to his own career.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was waiting for Sol Campbell to brand Powell's sacking 'racist' when he was interviewed on the radio today but he was only concerned to expound on his perception of racism applied to his own career.
...and flog a few more books. You'd have thought he'd earned enough in his career wouldn't you.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Heard that myself R5 all waffle and no FACT and the women towards the end who got on and complained commentators being racist was laughable,why was she given time ?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
The politically correct brigade won't be happy seeing a black manager being sacked. There will be repercussions over this.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
...and flog a few more books. You'd have thought he'd earned enough in his career wouldn't you.

His contribution to Notts Co says a great deal about the man and perhaps even more about why managers (and teammates) might have not considered him captaincy material despite him viewing himself so differently

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports