Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady (video in link) - having a go at us...

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
For what it's worth, I'll reiterate what I posted when he signed for you. We (Charlton) were the first club to agree to meet Barnsley's 500k fee for Chris O'Grady this summer. He (or at least his agents) demanded a salary of 15k a week. We laughed and eventually offered him a take-it-or-leave-it 6k. He f***ed us off and he (ie his agents) spent the rest of the summer waiting on a better offer. It was roughly two months later that he signed for you. I would like to think he got desperate and settled for something sensible, but it wouldn't surprise me if you are actually paying him a lot closer to the 15k he wanted than the 6k he laughed at. Modern football, eh? :(

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Who would take a risk on a lad from Burton and sling him into the first team instead of our main striker, or sign an unknown from Bristol Rovers and expect them to score for fun?!?!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Except he wasn't signed to replace Ulloa.

Which is why we are down the bottom, it seems the club decided we didn't actually need to replace Ulloa. Instead we signed a lightweight CMS clone and a League One work horse.

I would love to know the thinking behind the signing of COG, even those who were willing to give him a chance found it a bizarre signing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
For what it's worth, I'll reiterate what I posted when he signed for you. We (Charlton) were the first club to agree to meet Barnsley's 500k fee for Chris O'Grady this summer. He (or at least his agents) demanded a salary of 15k a week. We laughed and eventually offered him a take-it-or-leave-it 6k. He f***ed us off and he (ie his agents) spent the rest of the summer waiting on a better offer. It was roughly two months later that he signed for you. I would like to think he got desperate and settled for something sensible, but it wouldn't surprise me if you are actually paying him a lot closer to the 15k he wanted than the 6k he laughed at. Modern football, eh?

Really ? Thanks for that. I doubt we are quite in the Ridsdale school of negotiating - but it would be interesting to know what we are paying him.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Who would take a risk on a lad from Burton and sling him into the first team instead of our main striker, or sign an unknown from Bristol Rovers and expect them to score for fun?!?!

Fair point, but neither were on 13k a week. Happy to take a punt on players, but you have to be realistic in terms of wages. For example I think Chicksen is a good gamble, no way he is on anywhere near 13k a week though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here