Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady (video in link) - having a go at us...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6685947 said:
Errrr no, hindsight is not what I'm talking about.

My point is ... is that it's easy to make that assessment now, in the knowledge that the transfer hasn't worked out. Don't get me wrong, l'm not defending it, just that as Edna pointed out earlier, some players just can't seem to play for certain managers. After all, the bloke did score a fair few goals fora doomed Barnsley side in the Championship last season. I really don't think 90% of all Albion fans knew it wasn't going to work.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Key thing is 'the family'....uprooting and moving a single man far easier than established family with both grandparents way up north. He signed knowing his kids would be brought up near his roots, so underperform, force a loan move & surprise, surprise choose Sheffield over higher league Millwall
As well as his wages he can pick up his bet at being home for Xmas

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Even if that was a veiled outburst against BHA, have to agree he's entitled to that. The club have dicked him around, and hardly a fan amongst us who hasn't questioned why we've signed a decent championship player who scores goals and not played him! For once, you don't know what you're doing should be chanted at the club rather than the ref. Imagine if your employer did that to you? footballers often accused of not caring and taking the money but Chris OGrady isn't one of them. He wants to play, good luck to him at his next club I say.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Even if that was a veiled outburst against BHA, have to agree he's entitled to that. The club have dicked him around, and hardly a fan amongst us who hasn't questioned why we've signed a decent championship player who scores goals and not played him! For once, you don't know what you're doing should be chanted at the club rather than the ref. Imagine if your employer did that to you? footballers often accused of not caring and taking the money but Chris OGrady isn't one of them. He wants to play, good luck to him at his next club I say.

Agreed. For me he was a "low risk" (although his wages are quite high so its rumoured) punt.

We had afterall lost Ulloa and Hoskins in rapid sucession and it left CMS as our only striker at one point. On paper he seemed worth it having scored 15 goals in a side that went down.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
A wonderful thing hindsight.

Absolutely and it was a high percentage of fans that were saying at the time he was a bad signing. But don't forget that our great recruitment team use this wonderful database called Scout 7, that is supposed to take away the guess work about a players ability to fit into the squad, with in particular their skill, fitness and attitude levels.

If you look at the signings in the last 18 months I would say this database, either needs re programming or someone at the scouting team needs to find out how to use it, because if you add the likes of Lita, Obika , Toko, Rodriquez O'Grady, Chicksen, Andrews, Halford, Monakana and Agustein since we have been using it,my hindsight says this system has cost us an awful lot of money and is failing us as a club.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
90% of Albion fans thought Ryan Harley was a good transfer! :D
Did they really? 90%? I think more likely most were surprised he was a target but were prepared to trust the clubs judgement (something that happens less now)

After a few games it became clear he was a lazy, weak, pony midfielder.

As for OGrady, it seemed an odd way to spend 500k and wages from outset. And his pathetic performances that I've seen make me rank him as one of the worst players I've seen in the shirt* (I will never forget him out of puff after 30 yd run, within 2 mins of entering the field).

*this includes the dross in late 90s.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Absolutely and it was a high percentage of fans that were saying at the time he was a bad signing. But don't forget that our great recruitment team use this wonderful database called Scout 7, that is supposed to take away the guess work about a players ability to fit into the squad, with in particular their skill, fitness and attitude levels.

If you look at the signings in the last 18 months I would say this database, either needs re programming or someone at the scouting team needs to find out how to use it, because if you add the likes of Lita, Obika , Toko, Rodriquez O'Grady, Chicksen, Andrews, Halford, Monakana and Agustein since we have been using it,my hindsight says this system has cost us an awful lot of money and is failing us as a club.

Good post :thumbsup:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
"My family have come back up and they’re settled here. The same goes for me too which is great because that really helps as well.”

Mmmm.. Considering he bought a £1.5m house on Shoreham Beach for cash and had his kids in Shoreham College since he has been here, I would think he was quite settled here apart from the lack of football. And I cannot see how you would be settled in Sheffield after one week, even if his extended family are there!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Mmmm.. Considering he bought a £1.5m house on Shoreham Beach for cash and had his kids in Shoreham College since he has been here, I would think he was quite settled here apart from the lack of football. And I cannot see how you would be settled in Sheffield after one week, even if his extended family are there!

Except here says they lived in four different temporary homes.......???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

And "letting go" the scout who found Ulloa dont forget that.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As for OGrady, it seemed an odd way to spend 500k and wages from outset. And his pathetic performances that I've seen make me rank him as one of the worst players I've seen in the shirt* (I will never forget him out of puff after 30 yd run, within 2 mins of entering the field).

*this includes the dross in late 90s.

Totally agree. After a quick peek at the Blades forum, they all seemed overjoyed at signing him. Some even went as far as saying he was quicker, stronger and better at finding the net than someone they had already...?! Had they actually seen him play??

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Liar...That is the one that was 'sale agreed' with Warwick Baker a month up to a fortnight ago that is now 'For Sale' (see Rightmove)

matt

Mar 19, 2007

Maybe we only have the free, trial version with dummy data.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here