Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Chris Hughton mind games?

Dec 6, 2015
Nugent was 4m. So, you have 9 millions worth on the bench alone and you're wanting people to take you seriously on the money debate?

Blimey.

Nope Nugent is 2 million rising 4 if we're promoted. That whole squad wasn't just bought over night and I wasn't entering a 'money debate' my response was to the person that said we should've won the league at a canter and I'm merely highlighting that in terms of over all squad value ours isn't the most costly. We're second or third top spenders in the league this season but in my opinion it had to be done.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How much is the REAL figure that you get for being promoted to premier league, so many being banded about?
Cheers :)

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Stockdale £1m
Bruno free
Dunk youth
Goldson £600k
Rosenior free
Knockaert £1.8m
Kayal £350k
Stephens £800k
Skalak £2m
Hemed £1m
Baldock £2m

subs
Bong free
Greer £250k
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free

With Hunemeier thats £5,8 million spent this season with no other money coming in from transfers, and we are allowed to make £13 million loss this season. I think Middlesborough spent £25 million with £3 million incoming.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
With Hunemeier thats £5,8 million spent this season with no other money coming in from transfers, and we are allowed to make £13 million loss this season. I think Middlesborough spent £25 million with £3 million incoming.

We had plenty of money from transfers in the bank from last year. Ulloa alone covers that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A good indication would be who we've tempted away from Boro or Burnley.... which is no-one.

Burnley took Barnes off by dangling higher wages and Boro beat us for Clayton, even though he offered the same fee. We couldn't beat their package however.

It shows that arguing over transfer fees is not the whole story

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
We had plenty of money from transfers in the bank from last year. Ulloa alone covers that.

Thats even better then and shows how much control Bloom has with the spending. I do think we will see a near £13 million loss this season, as I think thats how Bloom works, trying to maximise our chances financially.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
A good indication would be who we've tempted away from Boro or Burnley.... which is no-one.

Burnley took Barnes off by dangling higher wages and Boro beat us for Clayton, even though he offered the same fee. We couldn't beat their package however.

Boro gave them a player which hughton said put us out of the race.

Dec 29, 2011
Stockdale £1m
Bruno free
Dunk youth
Goldson £600k
Rosenior free
Knockaert £1.8m
Kayal £350k
Stephens £800k
Skalak £2m
Hemed £1m
Baldock £2m

subs
Bong free
Greer £250k
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free

Wages....none of them would be earning more than Rhodes, Ramirez, Nugent or Downing (at the very least).

Skalak £2m? Do you have a source for that? Also add in Huenemier £1.5, KLL £1m and murphy £1.5m which adds another £4m to the total.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Dimi 0
Nsue free
Gibson free
Ayala 250 thousand
Friend 100 thousand

Leadbitter free
Clayton 1.8 mil

Adomah 1 mill
Ramirez - loan
Downing 5 mill

Rhodes 9 mill

Compare that to Hull, Derby and Burnley and we're still over achieving. The only side we really can't argue with is your good selves.

Over achieving? If that's what you genuinely believe then fair play, but you've carefully excluded some very expensive players from that list. No fan from any other Championship club looks at Boro and thinks 'ooh, aren't they doing well with their measly £25m squad'. Rhodes nearly cost more than our entire squad ffs :lol:

Dec 29, 2011

I don't think Barnes was on that much more at Burnley than Brighton, didn't he publicly say he wasn't happy at Brighton and moved because he felt the fans were negative towards him? He told the club he wasn't signing a new contract so they sold to the highest bidder.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Stockdale £1m
Bruno free
Dunk youth
Goldson £600k
Rosenior free
Knockaert £1.8m
Kayal £350k
Stephens £800k
Skalak £2m
Hemed £1m
Baldock £2m

subs
Bong free
Greer £250k
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free

Wages....none of them would be earning more than Rhodes, Ramirez, Nugent or Downing (at the very least).

Some of your figures are too high, Baldock wasn't over £1m and Kayal was only £100k. I'm concerned about the fee for Skaak as well I don't think that is anywhere near accurate. He cost less than £2m

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Some of your figures are too high, Baldock wasn't over £1m and Kayal was only £100k. I'm concerned about the fee for Skaak as well I don't think that is anywhere near accurate. He cost less than £2m

Those fees he quotes for Baldock and Kayal were widely reported, and everyone I know would quote them if asked how much these players cost.

Where have you got the idea that Baldock was less than a million and Kayal was 100k?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's face it, it really doesn't matter who cost what. Next Saturday is almost certainly a cup final and the only thing that really needs to be settled is who needs the draw and who can get the title of the three of us. We won't know that until Monday evening.

Hughton is right to say the pressure's on Boro though. They're at home and should have pissed this league along with Derby if it was based on squad strength alone. You've got to be disappointed if you have Ayala, Rhodes, Clayton and Downing starting and Nugent only on the bench and you don't go up from this league. I've thought the quality of a lot of teams I've seen this season has been poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here