Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Chris Hughton mind games?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
At the time the conversation was about our chances of winning the league and adding subs wasn't really relevant. I'm not concerned about FFP at all - we don't take that into consideriation, it actually only seems to be Brighton fans that keep bringing it up and that's probably because you've done so remarkably well without spending as much.

Personally I'm glad we've spent the money.

Boro haven't "blown FFP out of the water" as some put it on here. They've remained well within it, but they have spent a lot of money and Albion get away with actually behaving like that as well. They (as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has been saying in this thread a few times , like Bloom, just have a incredibly wealthy chairman prepared to fund, for now, season after season of eye watering losses to get them out of the Championship.
Since relegation in 2009, Boro have lost on an annual basis 19m,13m, 18m, 20m and 9m. Its likely that 15/16 will also show a big loss.
Albion's losses in the period are 7m, 9m, 15m, 11m, and 10m. And i guess a similar sum this year too.

As for being under pressure to go up. Its self evident, if it matters at all in the next 6 days which i suspect it won't, that they were expected to be promoted this season compared to Albion.

Last edited:

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Dimi 0
Nsue free
Gibson free
Ayala 250 thousand
Friend 100 thousand

Leadbitter free
Clayton 1.8 mil

Adomah 1 mill
Ramirez - loan
Downing 5 mill

Rhodes 9 mill

Compare that to Hull, Derby and Burnley and we're still over achieving. The only side we really can't argue with is your good selves.

still over 17 million just on these players named thats way more than us and most teams so you just proven what people been saying about money spent.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Chris-Hughton.jpg

JS64531225.jpg

Ooh i love girls who advertise their sexual preferences on their nails......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Boro haven't "blown FFP out of the water" as some put it on here.
Have you got evidence to back that up (that means this year's figures)?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have you got evidence to back that up (that means this year's figures)?

No because Boro won't publish their 15/16 accounts for another year but there's been a large increase in allowable losses this year as part of FFP rules strongly opposed by Albion as it happened.
Its a possibility that they've been breached but a simple list of reputed transfer fees in/out doesn't tell you everything. Boro have been careful in previous years to stick within FFP and its still allowed them to continue to fund expensive promotion bids. I doubt this year will be any different.
Of course who knows what Gibson or the (new ?) manager will do with the expensively assembled squad next year if Boro lose out again.

PS: This is a good piece on Boro / FFP from last summer
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-financial-fair-play-work-9583627

and this from the excellent Swiss Ramble has good archive Boro data
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/middlesbrough-take-me-to-river.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No because Boro won't publish their 15/16 accounts
It's unlike you to claim they're not vastly exceeding FFP when you haven't got the figures.

there's been a large increase in allowable losses this year as part of FFP rules strongly opposed by Albion as it happened.
Its a possibility that they've been breached but a simple list of reputed transfer fees in/out doesn't tell you everything.
I'm aware of the new rules and it's not just the transfer fees, it's the huge wages they're paying.

Boro have been careful in previous years to stick within FFP and its still allowed them to continue to fund expensive promotion bids. I doubt this year will be any different.
It looks very different IMO.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Stockdale £1m
Bruno free
Dunk youth
Goldson £600k
Rosenior free
Knockaert £1.8m
Kayal £350k
Stephens £800k
Skalak £2m
Hemed £1m
Baldock £2m

subs
Bong free
Greer £250k
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free

Wages....none of them would be earning more than Rhodes, Ramirez, Nugent or Downing (at the very least).

So what is their value now? Throw in Solly March youth

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So what is their value now? Throw in Solly March youth

Stockdale £2m
Bruno free
Dunk £6m
Goldson £6m
Rosenior £1m
Knockaert £5m
Kayal £3m
Stephens £3m
Skalak £3m
Hemed £5m
Baldock £1m

subs
Bong £1m
Greer free
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free
March £5m

Something like that?

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Stockdale £2m
Bruno free
Dunk £6m
Goldson £6m
Rosenior £1m
Knockaert £5m
Kayal £3m
Stephens £3m
Skalak £3m
Hemed £5m
Baldock £1m

subs
Bong £1m
Greer free
Zamora free
Wilson loan
Sidwell loan
Calderon free
Maenpaa free
March £5m

Something like that?
£41m eh! If you're anything like correct, that surely makes this squad the greatest ever assembled by the club. Certainly mitigates a loss of £13m.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
That Boro Gazette need to realise that just cos AK & Dyche love chatting shit in the press it doesn't mean CH does. Can forgive them a little for trying to create some kind of issue / circus as they're not getting anything from our end. They also are used to mangers ****ing off for a week then coming back and lying to everyone that there was no argument with players or the board....

The amount of nothing articles they shovel out is crazy. They know the Boro fans will jump all over it and get them a load of hits. Nothing story.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Boro haven't "blown FFP out of the water" as some put it on here. They've remained well within it, but they have spent a lot of money and Albion get away with actually behaving like that as well. They (as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has been saying in this thread a few times , like Bloom, just have a incredibly wealthy chairman prepared to fund, for now, season after season of eye watering losses to get them out of the Championship.
Since relegation in 2009, Boro have lost on an annual basis 19m,13m, 18m, 20m and 9m. Its likely that 15/16 will also show a big loss.
Albion's losses in the period are 7m, 9m, 15m, 11m, and 10m. And i guess a similar sum this year too.

As for being under pressure to go up. Its self evident, if it matters at all in the next 6 days which i suspect it won't, that they were expected to be promoted this season compared to Albion.

No because Boro won't publish their 15/16 accounts for another year but there's been a large increase in allowable losses this year as part of FFP rules strongly opposed by Albion as it happened.
Its a possibility that they've been breached but a simple list of reputed transfer fees in/out doesn't tell you everything. Boro have been careful in previous years to stick within FFP and its still allowed them to continue to fund expensive promotion bids. I doubt this year will be any different.
Of course who knows what Gibson or the (new ?) manager will do with the expensively assembled squad next year if Boro lose out again.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-financial-fair-play-work-9583627

:shrug: :lol: :lol:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Brilliant bit of PR by CH, How to put pressure on oppo without appearing to do so:

There is certainly more pressure on the other two clubs because their expectations were different at the beginning of the season. Emphasizes clubs so carefully avoiding appearing to aim at players.

They have both spent more but as for the players, the pressure is the same Course it is Chris - brilliant way of ensuring Dyche and Karanka don't have something to pin on dressing room wall but just subtly lays the thought....

we don’t want to avoid the pressure, we are welcoming it Great message for our own players.

whether we gain promotion automatically or through the play-off system, we have an opportunity Immediately takes pressure off by pointing out route 2.

If we have to go via the play-offs, the plus side is we don’t have to wait very long. There isn’t time to dwell on missing out, we will have to prepare and be ready to go again. Genius. Says something he knows Boro and Burnley cant say because the expectation is there for them that they will get auto and ensures players/fans know that it might not happen for us but, hey, we'll be ready for SW.

Exactly how I interpreted CH's interview, just wish I were able to explain and define his points so succinctly, great work.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think the latest Boro accounts show a dramatic rise in Match Day Revenue 2014-15. Increased gates boosted by Cup games.

FFP; do the rules allow £39 million over 3 years, so this means Derby and Boro are well within the limits. They have still both gambled on promotion though as amortisation (older players) will muck up their accounts.

On the face of it with older players without resale value, both Derby and Boro have gone a bit out on a limb for promotion compared to the Albion.

However, they both have good Under 21 teams and they have youngsters coming through when their current crop of player are past their peak. We don't seem to have any?

Last edited:

Clampet

Apr 27, 2016
It sounds exactly like Burnley two years ago after they got freebies and only bought Barnes. 'They won't last,' 'squad too small so wait for injuries and suspensions.' Still there at Christmas so you get 'lucky with injuries,' 'lucky with refs decisions,' 'it won't last.' Still there near the end, 'they will bottle it.' What these people don't understand is that these players will run through brick walls for each other, and can play with freedom as they have nothing to lose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It sounds exactly like Burnley two years ago after they got freebies and only bought Barnes. 'They won't last,' 'squad too small so wait for injuries and suspensions.' Still there at Christmas so you get 'lucky with injuries,' 'lucky with refs decisions,' 'it won't last.' Still there near the end, 'they will bottle it.' What these people don't understand is that these players will run through brick walls for each other, and can play with freedom as they have nothing to lose.

I think it is sensible for Championship clubs not to go all in at the beginning of the season but keep a bit back for January in case they are in with a good chance or get an injury to a key player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here