[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two of those 'very lucky results' were against Newcastle and Wolves, who failed to beat us in the return matches.

We also "failed to beat" Newcastle at home, when we'd won up there. Frankly, what you've used up there is just clever phrasing to state a fact.

Anyone who was at the Newcastle game will tell you that the first half was the worst performance since Sami Hyypia and one of the worst performances ever at the Amex. A side with a bit more of a killer instinct would have stuck three or four past us. We were let off the hook by a side who were already staying up and a manager who knew he was going to let his contract run out. The way the fans turned in that first half (considering we all went in there on a high due to Fulham's win over Cardiff) was very similar to the Millwall game just before CH joined.

What was even more pathetic was that it was a MUST WIN game. A victory would have seen us mathematically safe. But we played 45 minutes of it like we were already down and much of that was down to an absolutely baffling team selection and tactics.

If anything shows the regression we were on it was comparing coming from St James's Park with a win to all but committing footballing suicide in the return game, which was much more important.

Credit to CH for turning it round, mind you, and credit to the players but we still only just about forced a draw.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We also "failed to beat" Newcastle at home, when we'd won up there. Frankly, what you've used up there is just clever phrasing to state a fact.

Anyone who was at the Newcastle game will tell you that the first half was the worst performance since Sami Hyypia and one of the worst performances ever at the Amex. A side with a bit more of a killer instinct would have stuck three or four past us. We were let off the hook by a side who were already staying up and a manager who knew he was going to let his contract run out. The way the fans turned in that first half (considering we all went in there on a high due to Fulham's win over Cardiff) was very similar to the Millwall game just before CH joined.

What was even more pathetic was that it was a MUST WIN game. A victory would have seen us mathematically safe. But we played 45 minutes of it like we were already down and much of that was down to an absolutely baffling team selection and tactics.

If anything shows the regression we were on it was comparing coming from St James's Park with a win to all but committing footballing suicide in the return game, which was much more important.

Credit to CH for turning it round, mind you, and credit to the players but we still only just about forced a draw.

I agree with you. What I don't agree with is the three consecutive victories, last autumn, were lucky results.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree with you. What I don't agree with is the three consecutive victories, last autumn, were lucky results.

Fair enough. I would have said Woves was very lucky. We robbed them that day. But any away win in the PL is hard won and I didn't think there was anything lucky about turning over West Ham.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Season is 38 games. We got a good start but it went downhill and, unfortunately, CH couldn't seem to do anything to arrest that.

Yes so why did you just refer to the second part [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You are only as good as your last gig, in this case that was since December for CH.

Alternatively the finish against Arsenal, Newcastle and Wolves wasn’t bad.....

Everyone loses to City.

Edit - though I accept we were poor vs Newcastle, got a result though.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Two of those 'very lucky results' were against Newcastle and Wolves, who failed to beat us in the return matches.

Exactly, ‘lucky’ is not an argument at all.

I was unlucky last evening that all my lottery numbers missed by one number - still lost.

We were unlucky we weren’t 3 up against Burnley at home before they scored.

We were unlucky that Proppers 30 yarder didn’t go in just before half-time at Fulham to make it 3-0.

All nonsense IMO.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes so why did you just refer to the second part [emoji2]

I didn't ignore it just didn't comment on it. CH inherited a good side that had been badly managed by Hyypia. Jones showed what could be done in the two games he had in charge. We had a good ride for the next three seasons but that came to an end. You can't look back at past glories.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Alternatively the finish against Arsenal, Newcastle and Wolves wasn’t bad.....

Everyone loses to City.

Edit - though I accept we were poor vs Newcastle, got a result though.

I'm assuming you weren't at Molineux then! As for Arsenal, we were under no pressure whatsoever and that showed. Newcastle has already been discussed so I'm not sure how you can include that. Just to remind you, it was a dire first half and we did well to come back and get a point (that's a point, not a win!!)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair enough. I would have said Woves was very lucky. We robbed them that day. But any away win in the PL is hard won and I didn't think there was anything lucky about turning over West Ham.

I disagree, Newcastle were all over us. Twice as much possession, three times as many shots on goal and our goal came via a double deflection.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bloom made the decision of course but I’d be surprised if he didn’t acknowledge privately that he thought long and hard about making the change and that there was a strong case to make for keeping Hughton. Dismissing those out of hand that make that case is unfair on them as fans even if ultimately he plumped for a new coach.

I agree, probably the hardest decision he has had to make in his tenure. There was a strong case for keeping Hughton but there was a stronger case for making the change.

Bloom made the decision of course but I’d be surprised if he didn’t acknowledge privately that he thought long and hard about making the change and that there was a strong case to make for keeping Hughton. Dismissing those out of hand that make that case is unfair on them as fans even if ultimately he plumped for a new coach.

I don't believe it is a matter of dismissing them but one of " moving on". There is a certain poster on this board who has steadfastly refused to do that, with the result that he/she has turned into a negative, miserable dullard of the most gigantic proportion. This does a disservice to those who were Hughton supporters but recognise the club is bigger than any individual.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We've surely done this thread to death.
Let us wish C.H. all the best in what ever he wishes for and look forward to an exciting new regime under our highly rated new manager.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm assuming you weren't at Molineux then! As for Arsenal, we were under no pressure whatsoever and that showed. Newcastle has already been discussed so I'm not sure how you can include that. Just to remind you, it was a dire first half and we did well to come back and get a point (that's a point, not a win!!)

Actually I was. Excellent defensive display, to say anything different is wrong IMO.

As you say we did well to comeback in the second half vs Newcastle. I agree the first half was dire.

Arsenal were going for the CL and we more than have them a game. Great defensive effort vs Spurs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I didn't ignore it just didn't comment on it. CH inherited a good side that had been badly managed by Hyypia. Jones showed what could be done in the two games he had in charge. We had a good ride for the next three seasons but that came to an end. You can't look back at past glories.

Yet you feel you can partially comment on 3 months, when a final league position is based over a whole season.

I am not being difficult but there seems to be a number of supporters, who are distorting the facts as their way of highlighting that Hughton was poor/ineffective.

Facts IMO:
- good league position prior to Xmas, with some hard fought victories
- changed formation, which failed and never regained form.
- really poor performances in Feb and March
- scrambled and successfully survived.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bottom three budget
Finished fourth bottom.
And Hughton deserves praise for that.

The problem was that we entered a Huddersfield-esque 2nd half of season relegation death spiral.

Huddersfield then carried this on into their next season.

We were in clear and grave danger of repeating their outcome.

If a lesson could be learned from Huddersfield, then sadly Hughton had to go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
By “budget” do you mean:
Players salaries
Cost of acquiring players, or
Overall cost of running the club?

Wages plus transfer fee amortisation

Premier League 2018 Wages + Amort.png

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm glad someone else posted this, as like you I have been reading many of the sad, snide comments aimed at a respectable man and respected manager.

Unfortunately, when the chips are down, for all the talk of us being "different" we are just like any other shit fans!

Not sure what the fuss is about, people's opinions differ.

The majority of our fanbase was/is pro-Hughton, though some may have had a wobble during the Bournemouth and Cardiff period, me included.

There has always been a louder minority who wanted him out for a long time, and feel vindicated for events that transpired. They have remained consistent at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports