Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] China protests over Zero-Covid policy

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Joking aside (and apologies for being so far off-topic I’ll need a map to get back) but have you considered setting up a (completely optional) Patreon for NSC?

I don’t know the details of what’s involved, and I couldn’t afford to bung more than a quid your way each month, but I’d be happy to pay that. Appreciate if I’m the only person thinking this way it’s a non-starter, but the idea might deserve a thread/poll of its own. Perhaps for a suitably sized monthly donation those who wished could view ad-free?
@Jello asked this recently, so I'll point you to the reply I made then if I may...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would happily contribute to the costs of running the site. I contribute little else of any worth 😜

But yep, if there was an option to contribute, I’d pay in.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Looks like the riots have flared up again over night. Interestingly the Chinese are blaming foreign involvement in instigating the protests anything but accept any responsibility for why people are protesting

You'd be pretty surprised to know how much foreign interference is in play when it comes to China , largely driven by UK (and especially the US) to impose their hegemony and colonial superiority.

The US is heavily involved in the 'Revolution Industry', and they're been significantly increasing funding to NGOs, like Build a Movement, CANVAS and the Albert Einstein Institue to help structure protest movements, deliver protest and ideology training.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You'd be pretty surprised to know how much foreign interference is in play when it comes to China , largely driven by UK (and especially the US) to impose their hegemony and colonial superiority.

The US is heavily involved in the 'Revolution Industry', and they're been significantly increasing funding to NGOs, like Build a Movement, CANVAS and the Albert Einstein Institue to help structure protest movements, deliver protest and ideology training.
That may be true. The British Empire tried (successfully) to abolish slavery throughout the world a couple of hundred years ago, and as China is still at it, they're once again trying to impose the anti-slavery colonial superiority.

You can see it in Qatar as well. You wouldn't believe the number of people trying to impose western ways on that nation.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

The US is heavily involved in the 'Revolution Industry', and they're been significantly increasing funding to NGOs, like Build a Movement, CANVAS and the Albert Einstein Institute to help structure protest movements, deliver protest and ideology training.
It’s gone 3.30 in the morning and I‘m up nursing a sick dog so I’ll give it a go: 🤔

I don’t know much about agent provocateurs operating in China’s Zero-Covid protests but the West and especially the US certainly does have a proven track record of supporting revolutionaries/blocking counter insurgency movements all over the World and overtly getting involved in regime changes - in particular in Latin America- eg supporting the Contras in Nicaragua against the Sandinistas or eg. attempts to overthrow Castro’s ‘Communist’ Government in Cuba (Bay of Pigs) etc.More specifically, backing the KMT to overthrow the PLA in China (to try and undermine Communist rule) during the Chinese Civil War.

The old Cold War has a new front - while Russia beats its breast and attempts to carve out a new international order in Europe (one that would give Putin more control and influence on Countries lying on the old Cold War East/West axis), the American and Chinese navies are gearing up to play cat and mouse around the Asian coastlines and the Pacific - trade wars, elections interference, Russia’s war on Ukraine and Taiwan all being potential flashpoints for more overt aggression.

There are certainly a lot of competing political threads running through East Asia and yes, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the US/West were pulling hard at a few of them to see what unravels. However the Chinese people have cause for grievous complaint against Xi’s Zero-Covid policy - so a narrative that focuses on suspected foreign influence in instigating the protests will only serve to benefit Xi politically and undermine the validity of the protests which is why he would be keen to direct the narrative in that direction and why conspiracists could unwittingly assist him.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Or it could just be that after two and a half years people are pissed off with being locked up? :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Or it could just be that after two and a half years people are pissed off with being locked up? :shrug:
That’s my brother’s experience. Been struggling to feed his family with no food on the shelves. Not like in the U.K. when you couldn’t get the brand of beans you like. I mean no food on the shelves.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
That’s my brother’s experience. Been struggling to feed his family with no food on the shelves. Not like in the U.K. when you couldn’t get the brand of beans you like. I mean no food on the shelves.

Many’s the cry I heard during lockdown of “Give me Branston’s or give me death.”

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Couldnt have put more shortly myself - (oops I didn’t 😂 )

Hmm - reading back my earlier post I think I may have accused someone of being a ‘conspiracist’ and assisting Xi in an oblique kind of way 🤦‍♂️

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's incredibly brave to protest in China without being traced and punished one way or another..the tech capabilities of the State combined with the State legal system means that an individual that falls foul of authority has little or no rights at all. Truly scary, this is Orwell's 1984 made real.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes but Chinese people are actually really happy about it, apparently.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nothing to do with the thread, but I see Swanny has, er, swanned (flounced?) off?

:flounce:

I wonder who he's been arguing with online since he left last week? Funny bloke.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
That may be true. The British Empire tried (successfully) to abolish slavery throughout the world a couple of hundred years ago, and as China is still at it, they're once again trying to impose the anti-slavery colonial superiority.

You can see it in Qatar as well. You wouldn't believe the number of people trying to impose western ways on that nation.
Just dipped into this thread to find this nugget. I thought we'd discussed this earlier in the year. The end of both slavery in the Empire and the Empire itself were not altruistic gifts from Britain, but thanks to uprisings, revolts, revolutions, wars of liberation, strikes and protests from below. It is great to see this happening in China and Iran at this moment in time and the speed at which concessions have been offered are encouraging as they show how big a threat to power they are.
As for Qatar and Saudi Arabia, they continue to be barbarous regimes thanks to the support of Britain and the US - not in spite of them. Watch Bitter Lake on BBC iPlayer for a great look at the west's support of the Saudis.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nothing to do with the thread, but I see Swanny has, er, swanned (flounced?) off?

I wonder who he's been arguing with online since he left last week? Funny bloke.
Still on NSC. Neapolitan and Skunk Chat.

(Actually Bozza advised a little time out)

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

I miss him personally. I hope he comes back soon. Don’t necessarily agree with a lot of what he wrote but found it interesting reading contrarian views.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A bit too quick to get nasty with people who disagreed with his rather odd opinions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here