Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC on Xenforo

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having looked at the new fromat for a few days now, I have one request/suggestion. Could you make the background to the quote darker (in the light version) or lighter (in the dark version) - basically could we have a more obvious contrast between the quote and the answer?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Bozza one thing I used to use occasionally was click the no. of replies on a thread before you went into it gave you the number of times each poster had posted on that particular thread. That no longer seems available in any form.

Other than that, loving the new appearance, format, functionality. Seamless between device and desktop. Well played sir.
I've found and installed an add-on that replicates that vBulletin functionality.

In fact it extends it slightly as you can filter/search for specific users when you have the list open.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The adverts themselves certainly shouldn't trigger that, no. They've been on for over 24 hours now.
Just got it again, whilst browsing the USG thread

Attachments

• avast.jpg
    avast.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 36

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just got it again, whilst browsing the USG thread
I'll raise it with the ad network, but I doubt there's much they can do as Mola.tv is a reputable media organisation - your malware detector may be overly-sensitive.

Quite why you're getting an Indonesian media company targeting you is another matter!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I'll raise it with the ad network, but I doubt there's much they can do as Mola.tv is a reputable media organisation - your malware detector may be overly-sensitive.

Quite why you're getting an Indonesian media company targeting you is another matter!
Thanks for looking into it.

Agreed, no idea on the Indonesian media company!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

...because Mola.tv streams Pro League games and is mentioned on that thread.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having looked at the new fromat for a few days now, I have one request/suggestion. Could you make the background to the quote darker (in the light version) or lighter (in the dark version) - basically could we have a more obvious contrast between the quote and the answer?
In fact, I'd like all the very, very, very light blue bits to be a bit darker - as well as highlighting the quotes better, it would frame the posts more clearly.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I really, really loved the ad free few days, God that was blissful. I know why they’re there, but they’ve rendered the mobile experience utterly shit, especially when you scroll down a thread and end up knee deep in ad land... sigh.

Pity - as it’s a quick and slick experience other than that.

Hey ho.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
@Bozza any chance the breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page could be moved above the adverts please? I use it to get back to the Big Board after reading a thread and I now have to scroll past 8 adverts to get there (on my phone in portrait view).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is it me, or has the hyperlink back to the big board vanished from the bottom of a thread?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Bozza any chance the breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page could be moved above the adverts please? I use it to get back to the Big Board after reading a thread and I now have to scroll past 8 adverts to get there (on my phone in portrait view).

Is it me, or has the hyperlink back to the big board vanished from the bottom of a thread?

Sorry - tinkering today and ran out of time. I'll have another tweak now...

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I really, really loved the ad free few days, God that was blissful. I know why they’re there, but they’ve rendered the mobile experience utterly shit, especially when you scroll down a thread and end up knee deep in ad land... sigh.

I would gladly pay an annual fee for ad free, without add blockers it’s horrible.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Pity - as it’s a quick and slick experience other than that.

Hey ho.

The standard banners aren't bad are they? I use the site on my phone all the time and, for me at least, they don't slow the site down to any noticeable degree, and they're relatively unobtrusive as ads go in that they're small and I intentionally reject any pop-ups, pop-under and video ads etc.

The block of 8 does render horribly on mobile, I appreciate, although it is below all content on the page. Regardless it's high on my list to change or remove on mobile.

I could easily configure an ad-free view for my own usage, but I never have.

I would gladly pay an annual fee for ad free, without add blockers it’s horrible.
This is something I've always avoided. However...

1. The site costs more to run than ever - servers use lots of electricity, and we all know about the cost of power right now.
2. Ad revenues have generally slumped massively.
3. The migration cost a fair chunk of cash all-in.

...so I have been contemplating a voluntary "Help support the site" subscription, of sorts. One of the benefits that could be offered with that would be a choice of ad-free templates and, various other bells and whistles. However, no-one who couldn't or didn't want to pay would have an experience in any way degraded from what it is today.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The standard banners aren't bad are they? I use the site on my phone all the time and, for me at least, they don't slow the site down to any noticeable degree, and they're relatively unobtrusive as ads go in that they're small and I intentionally reject any pop-ups, pop-under and video ads etc.

The banners don't alter the experience at all for me, the click-baity stuff at the bottom don't either really, I never scroll that far.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

The block of 8 does render horribly on mobile, I appreciate, although it is below all content on the page. Regardless it's high on my list to change or remove on mobile.

I could easily configure an ad-free view for my own usage, but I never have.

This is something I've always avoided. However...

1. The site costs more to run than ever - servers use lots of electricity, and we all know about the cost of power right now.
2. Ad revenues have generally slumped massively.
3. The migration cost a fair chunk of cash all-in.

...so I have been contemplating a voluntary "Help support the site" subscription, of sorts. One of the benefits that could be offered with that would be a choice of ad-free templates and, various other bells and whistles. However, no-one who couldn't or didn't want to pay would have an experience in any way degraded from what it is today.

First off, the new nsc is a rip roaring success - it’s sooooo quick and easy to use - a superb upgrade.

Secondly, yes, I’d be willing to help support the site - for all the reasons you outline above and yes (selfishly) to remove any trace of ads if possible...

Like I said, I totally understand the need for revenue and expected the ads to appear as they have... it’s still far superior to the previous incarnation and (as I say) runs like clockwork via iPhone and/or my opera browser via the old laptop... great work and (yes) if those who can and wish to - can contribute to keeping the site where it should be and supplement those running costs - something I’ve been a part of since I was about 15 in 1996 ... well, I’d like to do just that :) it’s a sensitive issue though - and subject to opinion - but I’m happy to state that I’d prefer an ad free version at a cost :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
First off, the new nsc is a rip roaring success - it’s sooooo quick and easy to use - a superb upgrade.

Secondly, yes, I’d be willing to help support the site - for all the reasons you outline above and yes (selfishly) to remove any trace of ads if possible...

Like I said, I totally understand the need for revenue and expected the ads to appear as they have... it’s still far superior to the previous incarnation and (as I say) runs like clockwork via iPhone and/or my opera browser via the old laptop... great work and (yes) if those who can and wish to - can contribute to keeping the site where it should be and supplement those running costs - something I’ve been a part of since I was about 15 in 1996 ... well, I’d like to do just that :) it’s a sensitive issue though - and subject to opinion - but I’m happy to state that I’d prefer an ad free version at a cost :)

Thanks - appreciate the constructive feedback.

You should find it tidier when you scroll down on your phone now, and I've learned something into the bargain too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here