Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
in that case then i'd wait abit before picking just to see what happens, if they start to turn colour then wait abit longer but if not then pick them. Jalapenos can be picked from green anyway so try one out first and see what its like if its very tough to eat/cut through then its too early so wait a little longer.
If you leave them too long then any chilli would do what all fruits do and drop/die off anyway so if one does that then you know the others need to be picked soonish.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Are they still OK to use if they drop off naturally?

personally it depends purely on how the chilli is when it drops off, I had some two years ago that started going mouldy instantly so binned them. But sure if the chilli feels fresh and no signs of mould/death then I see no reason why not.

Remember you can freeze chillis, I'm still using some in sauce & general cooking that I picked almost a year ago now!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
personally it depends purely on how the chilli is when it drops off, I had some two years ago that started going mouldy instantly so binned them. But sure if the chilli feels fresh and no signs of mould/death then I see no reason why not.

Ah right, cheers. Presumably even with signs of mould on the chilli, the seeds could be salvaged for future planting?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Ah right, cheers. Presumably even with signs of mould on the chilli, the seeds could be salvaged for future planting?

would'nt know, I never save seeds as its cheap to just buy a fresh packet. I did try to grow seeds that had been frozen but none of them germinated.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Guess you're right. £1.50 pack from Fiery Foods is hardly going to break the bank.

exactly! plus you know they have the highest quality seeds, I get mine from Nickys Seeds (Dorset way I think).

once again I'll plug this forum
Chillis Galore Forums Index page

you have to join to see all the forums but its chock full of information, recipes, the guys there are very very helpful too.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
depends what type of plant it is, generally you can pick anywhere from green to red (or other colour!) stage, post the name of the plants as that will help.

again the name of the plant would help a great deal, if you dont know the name post a picture and I'll try to track it down for you :)

I've no idea as I bought it off the front of someones house, they are skinny and green if that helps.???

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've no idea as I bought it off the front of someones house, they are skinny and green if that helps.???

:lolol: right then, that forum I linked too above, join that and post a picture in one of the forums and someone will (should) know what you have :thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My Jalapenos are coming on just nicely, have about a dozen fruits of various sizes at the mo. The Cayennes are a bit behind, but just starting to come out now. My Lantern variety are fruiting too, but they seem to be a much smaller variety and seem to be turning a blackish colour quite quickly - but still loook healthy.

I started growing 50 jalepeno's a xmas pressie.

Mine are now just flowering, but I bought over 40 seedlings into work, to share around the office, and some are now growing chilli's.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
many of mine are starting to turn red now, finally the Tabasco has flowered so hoping that catches up and fruits as everything else has. The Jamaican Bell is looking great and the first Tomato will be picked tomorrow....YAY!
Sweet Peppers being abit weird, they've grown to a size and stayed there for weeks..very odd!

will post some pics soon

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
many of mine are starting to turn red now, finally the Tabasco has flowered so hoping that catches up and fruits as everything else has. The Jamaican Bell is looking great and the first Tomato will be picked tomorrow....YAY!
Sweet Peppers being abit weird, they've grown to a size and stayed there for weeks..very odd!

will post some pics soon

Don't forget to catch the THPP chilli webcam update on 25/08/2009

:thumbsup:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A whole batch of mine got some kind of blight. The leaves started going all white and the chillis started going blotchy. Threw away four of my six plants yesterday :(

Still, the outdoor plants are doing great...

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
went out to check on my tomatoes over the weekend due to the warm weather in NY and the were destroyed. We had the wettest July on record then scorching temps which turned what looked like some beauty toms into mush :(

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
phone pictures came out abit rubbish so gonna borrow a decent camera this week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clear evidence of chilli growth action on completion of Month One. Height six inches. Not all of it upwards which may or may not be a good thing. I suspect not, as aforesaid plants should surely be capable of supporting their own body weight. Else it does not bode well for when they have to support chilli weight also. Hm. Should I prop the plants up with chip forks or something, anybody know?

Tune in on 25th September for the next instalment of THPP’s thrilling Chilli Adventure :thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
they should be fine THPP, I do prop mine up with plant wire/supports anyway just to be safe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here