Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Oh and jerk chicken as well.Sadly i haven't mastered this dish but love it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Me too. I even use Encona chilli sauce as a salad dressing.

Never heard of that sauce.Is it hotter then pepper sauce?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Never heard of that sauce.Is it hotter then pepper sauce?

West Indian hot pepper sauce says the label. Generally available in most supermarkets. Also comes in a plastic squeezy bottle...

encona.jpg

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Chillies

There is a varity called Devils Penis - anybody fancy that.

Do not take the tip out, that is where the flowers come.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This is my personal favourite - don't think there are many hotter.

Chillipepper Pete's Dragon's Blood

What the bottle says...
Beware, extreme heat
Hot Pepper Awards - Winner
What we say...
Chillipepper Pete is one of the finest UK sauce makers around. Dragons Blood is among his best award winning creations - his hottest sauce to date with big flavour and an even bigger burn, containing large amounts of naga-bih jolokia and 6.4mshu chilli extract.

Country of origin: UK

Ingredients: Capsicum, vinegar, pineapple, sugar, naga bin jolokia x2, cayenne, 6.4m chilli extract

100ml bottle

Price: £6.49

Attachments

• pete-dragons-blood.jpg
    pete-dragons-blood.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
How long did it take from flower to first fruit then ?

depends on the variety grown but anything from 2weeks onwards, usually about a month to 6weeks (from memory).

I'm a chilli newbie too, with about 30 plants growing inside at the moment. We've been told that we should "pinch" the top of each plant to encourage sideways growth, rather than have a very tall thin plant. Does anyone know anything about this?

yeah I pinched a few last year for the first time, what this does is concentrate the plant on growing more like a bush and not a tall leggy thing. My Demon Reds grow alot from the stem (more so that others) so they are more concentrated around the Bush so to speak :p Last year I had a 2foot tall Hot Lemon next to a 1foot tall one I pinched out and the latter had better flowering/fruiting on it.
Also earlier on you can snip off 50% of the early flower buds to promote extra growth into the non-snipped buds, not sure id this works only ready about it myself so not tried yet.

the forums at this website are full of proper Experts who've been doing this for decades so definatley worth a look:
Chillis Galore

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is my personal favourite - don't think there are many hotter.

Chillipepper Pete's Dragon's Blood

What the bottle says...
Beware, extreme heat
Hot Pepper Awards - Winner
What we say...
Chillipepper Pete is one of the finest UK sauce makers around. Dragons Blood is among his best award winning creations - his hottest sauce to date with big flavour and an even bigger burn, containing large amounts of naga-bih jolokia and 6.4mshu chilli extract.

Country of origin: UK

Ingredients: Capsicum, vinegar, pineapple, sugar, naga bin jolokia x2, cayenne, 6.4m chilli extract

100ml bottle

Price: £6.49

I think you'd be surprised!

A few weeks ago I was in central Bristol and literally happened upon a chilli sauce shop. I didn't buy anything, promising to return, but I had a good look and some of the stuff seemed lethal. Possibly literally.

Here's the site of the shop.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
we've got a tumbling tomato plant growing upside down, we made our own with one of the 5 litre water bottle things. the plant has about fourteen green tomatoes on it now so it seems to work.

we made it like this

Make your own upside down tomato planter - UPDATE | The Cheap Vegetable Gardener

I use a similiar method to make comfrey juice. Basically you make a stack of pop bottles joined together with their bottoms and tops cut off to form a long tube ( about 4 - 5 bottles long is ideal ). The bottom one though has it's top and lid left on and pointing to the ground. Make a hole in the lid and place a collecting bottle underneathg this as this is where your comfrey juice will drip into.

Tie the bottle tube to a post or something. Make a hole in the top side of the highest bottle and thread a shoe lace, that's as long as your tube, through the hole and tie a knot on the end to stop it coming through the hole. Tie a smaller bottle ( filled with water) to the other end of the lace. This smaller bottle must be smaller than the pop bottle tube, and it's filled with water as it needs to act as a weight.

Stuff your tube full with comfrey leaves ( or you can use stinging nettles if you don't have a comfry patch ) and place the water bottle on top. As the leaves rot down the water bottle weight will press them further down the tube and a lovely smelly black liquid will collect in your collection bottle. This liquid is a great cheap and organic liquid plant feed that your peppers and toms ( and anything else fof that matter ) will thrive on. Dilute at roughly a 1/4 of a cup to a 5ltr watering can and feed about once a week.

Caution : Nettle juice is more of a nitrogen feed than comfrey and will therfore promote lots of leafy growth. Comfrey is much better for feeding the whole plant.

Sorry if instructions aren't great. I'd post pics of my comfrey juicer, but still can't get to post pics on here, despite follwing all the instructiions to the letter.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've got a chilli plant but I've no idea what to do with it apart from water it of course.

thats pretty much it unless you wanna go down the Feeding route, watering only should work just fine :)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
first sweet peppers are about thumb sized now, toms are flowering and most of the chillis have or will be flowering, the first signs of fruit coming through on some aswell. Might snap some more pics later if demand is high :D

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
first sweet peppers are about thumb sized now, toms are flowering and most of the chillis have or will be flowering, the first signs of fruit coming through on some aswell. Might snap some more pics later if demand is high :D

More pics please Marc - especially the Chillis. I now have flowers starting to come out on mine, two nice white flowers today. Getting exciting !

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ok mate will post them later :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the subject of sauces, I brought a couple of bottles of this stuff back from barbados. Not quite as hot as encona, but the flavour is PROPER nice and AWESOME on anything BBQ'd

DelishBajanRedHotPepperSauce.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here