Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Hi Marc

earlier on this thread you seemed to intimate that chilli plants might survive the winter (and therefore start off better next year) - got any tips? I planted them late and they have grown well, but the fruit is late and isnt going to mature.

The question is, how do I put them to sleep? and will I have to bring them indoors?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A very good friend of mine has had a superb year, he's grown bundles of varieties. Scotch Bonnets, Jalapenos, and one or two other trad varieties, but also, Naga Jolika, Naga Morich and Dorset Naga in abundance, they are amazing, superb taste, and firey as hell. We've made some cracking sauces and salsas, and planning on making a ring-stinger of a curry at the weekend.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Hi Marc

earlier on this thread you seemed to intimate that chilli plants might survive the winter (and therefore start off better next year) - got any tips? I planted them late and they have grown well, but the fruit is late and isnt going to mature.

The question is, how do I put them to sleep? and will I have to bring them indoors?

yeah yours might fruit if they are indoors but it maybe abit late, see here:
Overwintering Chillie Plants | The Chilli King

thats a good guide and the one I follw and will be following for a few plants this year. Dont trim them down too much as I did a couple of years back and lost 3 out of 4!

I too had a great crop, will try and remember to post some pictures this weekend.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
thanks - good link. I am going to trim them dow to 15cms and keep them over winter in the greenhouse (unheated). I will pick a few to take indoors and see how they both fare.

Awesome thread

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah might get too cold in the Greenhouse unless you have a heater, I've got a little paraffin heater I used earlier this year just to keep the frost off (April time I think). If we get cold snaps like last winter I'd have them all indoors if I were you!
Mine are gonna be indoors on a west facing window sill.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mine are still going Red, however they are like eating Lava, so I only really use them to look at really! ( although I did give some to a bloke at work)

they are indoors.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Mix them up in something dave, make a SAUCE with them, CURRY or JAM even, that way the heat gets spread about more so not sooooooo hot!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
This all sounds like a lot of effort. I preferthe quality short cut of just adding Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce which is now available in Asda. If you think you are hardcore chilli head splash liberally. seriously scarey stuff that was actually banned from a hot sauce festival in the US.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Time to bounce this evergreen/red/yellow/purple thread for the 2011/12 chilli growing season methinks.

Scotch bonnets planted two weeks ago and now poking their heads through the topsoil :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Time to bounce this evergreen/red/yellow/purple thread for the 2011/12 chilli growing season methinks.

Scotch bonnets planted two weeks ago and now poking their heads through the topsoil :thumbsup:

So, you've planted already for 2012? I thought Chillies were meant to be propogated in March for next year?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, you've planted already for 2012? I thought Chillies were meant to be propogated in March for next year?

You can plant them this time of year so long as you 'winter' them i.e. hack them back to the basic shoot before the end of the year. Promotes healthier growth when they come out of hibernation in the Springtime.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can't this thread be moved back to the big board?

When we had Google-Adsense-gate, the quickest way of dealing with it was to move all threads with attachments to 'the other stuff'. This was done because...

- It could be done programmatically with one command so didn't take much time to implement.
- It would ensure all threads containing 'pics of ladies' would be moved away from Google ads ('the other stuff' carries no ads)

There is, undoubtedly, a large number of threads in 'the other stuff' that don't need to be there. They have to be moved manually. Please drop a note to any moderator when you happen across one and they can be moved back. I'm also happy to grant some sort of powers to those who feel they want to spend some time putting a shift in to move a load back.

<Moving this one back now>

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I harvested most of the chillis the other week for freezing but a few are still ripening. From plant to pan almost in one fluid motion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So far so good with Scotch Bonnet chillies planted from seeds in a big pot at the back end of September and kept on a double-glazed windowsill with plenty of light. About an inch and a half high now, with up to six leaves per plant. Think I'm going to just let them do their thing over the Winter and see what happens. If the worst happens and they keel over, I can always just start again in the Spring. But like I say, so far, so good! :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have some chilli's in my lean-to greenhouse up my plot and they are still flowering AND setting seed. Quite amazing for mid November

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here