Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The rhubarb mixture is great albeit rather on the nose! Tipping it into the spray pack is a nasty job! :down::clap2:

Is it up there with the wonderfully aromatic comfrey juice ? :lolol:
Wonderful liquid feed for all veg btw, including peppers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Worth attracting Lady Birds to your garden as well because they love munching on the black fly.

You can even buy them on the internet these days.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Is it up there with the wonderfully aromatic comfrey juice ? :lolol:
Wonderful liquid feed for all veg btw, including peppers.

Oooh - not tried comfrey - did lug some seaweed back from Shoreham beach once under cover of dark as aparently you're not supposed to do that....

Big chunks of kelp on the front pinks and my bottle brush probably gave me away... he he...

I've got one pepper plant, just for show though, I can't eat them at the moment due to some tummy trouble - soon though!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Worth attracting Lady Birds to your garden as well because they love munching on the black fly.

You can even buy them on the internet these days.

Bloody lady boys - we bought 5 houses for them - do you think we have 1 lady bird - of any variety! Ungrateful bugs. A small four year old is pining!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bloody lady boys - we bought 5 houses for them - do you think we have 1 lady bird - of any variety! Ungrateful bugs. A small four year old is pining!!

:)

They seem to love my small patio, but then I do seem to have all of South London's black fly...

.. and white fly and flea beetle.

I'm still a learner though, only had some outside space since after Christmas.

My mum has a point thought, once you get some sort of "eco system" though - with birds and bees getting used to visiting your garden it gets a bit easy.

I would encouraging everyone to grow something that attracts bees. There are lots of plants you can grow, just get onto Google and find out.

Not only does it help the bees, it of course helps the fruit and veg.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
FINALLY got this thing uploading pics! a few more to come

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 198

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
more

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 129

brunts09

Jan 8, 2010
hey marc, chilli plants are looking great there! What are the small round ones? Are they hot? I'm growing Apachie and Jalopenoes, got plenty of flowers but not many chillies at the moment!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
hey marc, chilli plants are looking great there! What are the small round ones? Are they hot? I'm growing Apachie and Jalopenoes, got plenty of flowers but not many chillies at the moment!

Hot Marbles, only tried a couple on their own at an early stage so not sure how hot they are just yet. Reckon all of them in a salad would be great and hot enough.

Heres the Dried Chillies I made myself from some frozen in 2009:

Threaded fishing wire through them all and hung in my greenshouse for a week, then cut off the ends and laid on kitchen paper for a further week (roughly) until them became hard. Emptied them of seeds and stuck the shells into a blender, added the seeds back and voila.....Dried Chilli. Just sprinkled some on my dinner....lovely!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 125

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
By God what 250 miles difference makes .. I planted from seed tomatoes, aubergines, cucumber, courgettes, sweet long peppers, green/red peppers and hot chilli peppers in my cons back in May ... so far had five great cucumbers and one pepper worth eating and a handful of small toms! The rest seem to be way behind and that is with feeding too!
Fecking cold and wet here .... 13 days rain with just one dry day!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Mine are doing pretty well. I've got 20 plants in various stages of growth. Oe question - should jalepenos be picked whilst green?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
By God what 250 miles difference makes .. I planted from seed tomatoes, aubergines, cucumber, courgettes, sweet long peppers, green/red peppers and hot chilli peppers in my cons back in May ... so far had five great cucumbers and one pepper worth eating and a handful of small toms! The rest seem to be way behind and that is with feeding too!
Fecking cold and wet here .... 13 days rain with just one dry day!

I honestly can't remember the last time we had any substantial rain in Brighton. Possibly teh week before the world cup?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Mine are doing pretty well. I've got 20 plants in various stages of growth. Oe question - should jalepenos be picked whilst green?

Ate one about 2/3 weeks ago (about and inch and a half long) and it was very mild.

Let them some grow on (still green), and now they are now nicely hot.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the Jalapenos ive got a small stumpy little things, I picked loads at the Green stage last year and they arestill quite hot, this year ive only got one plant of them so will let them go on for as long as they can

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be honest, I'll be disappointed with this effort.

Note to self: do not leave chilli plant in full glare of sun in Summer months. All the watering in the world will not save it.

Chilli plant RIP :cry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
boooo Tom thats slack gardening :lolol:

the chillies could still be used though, dried then chopped up like mine :thumbsup:

brunts09

Jan 8, 2010
just noticed small brown insects on the flowers of my chilli! Used fairy liquid effectively to get rid of greenfly before, gonna try the same again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here