Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper Growing 2013

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Would it be ok to plant some in an unheated green house now or would indoors be better.

No. They need a temp of something like 25C for a period to germinate. You won't get that for some time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Its not even that indoors with the central heating on which is set at 21 and put up occasionally to 23 when sitting around watching tv or on pc.

but on a sunny window-sill you may get that for periods. I've got a heated propogator, which I intend to fire up in the next couple of days.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Buy yourself a reptile heat mat off ebay and put it in a gravel tray (minus the gravel) sow the seeds and then put the trays and pots on the heat mat and cover with a bit of polycarb or glass. I use those sun tunnels you get from the garden centre.

things dry out a lot so keep an eye on watering

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
We use one of those 4 shelf mini greenhouse things erected inside the house by the patio doors at the back. Works really well and as the wife is an obsessive gardener , as soon as the young plants are strong enough they get moved out and new trays go in .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Found something great in Wilkinsons.

They do a long window sill propagator, with removable cells thus a reservoir underneath. And a lid thrown in for free.

I germinated a whole batch of chillies under the boiler.

All for under 4 quid. I snapped up a load.

I'll post a picture later.

They also do very cheap vermiculite.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We use one of those 4 shelf mini greenhouse things erected inside the house by the patio doors at the back. Works really well and as the wife is an obsessive gardener , as soon as the young plants are strong enough they get moved out and new trays go in .

They are great. They very steamy inside and are perfect for chillies.

Only problem is the wind.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Many chilli seeds require a constant 28 degree temperature for up to a month just to germinate.

Remember to remove any propagator lids as soon as seeds are showing through the soil and give them as much light as possible to stop them going leggy. removing their heat source may also be necessary too.

Come and join the Facebook page for more advice and chat if you want here

TIP: Aldi seed sowing compost is really good quality with hardly any lumps in it. £1.49 per bag is money well spent IMO :wink:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Many chilli seeds require a constant 28 degree temperature for up to a month just to germinate.

Remember to remove any propagator lids as soon as seeds are showing through the soil and give them as much light as possible to stop them going leggy. removing their heat source may also be necessary too.

Come and join the Facebook page for more advice and chat if you want here

TIP: Aldi seed sowing compost is really good quality with hardly any lumps in it. £1.49 per bag is money well spent IMO :wink:

I actually re pot leggy seedlings even at the seed leaf stage. Quite fiddly but I've become quite an expert. I assume chillies are like tomatoes where the buried stems produce more roots ?

On the subject of seed leaves, I've had a few this year that have popped out with three rather than two. Apparently this plant has a good chance of perming better, but won't pass neccesarily pass it on to it's seeds.

Interesting anyway, I'm going to mark the three leaf plants up.

Only tip I have with chilli seeds is don't bury them. Water the soil first then place on top. Sprinkle some dry soil like salt JUST to cover. I presume that applies to a lot of seeds but from experience what you will get away with' with a tomato doesn't apply to a chilli seed.

Some chillies on the window sill.

rsz_1rsz_img_20130225_222831.jpg

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I actually re pot leggy seedlings even at the seed leaf stage. Quite fiddly but I've become quite an expert. I assume chillies are like tomatoes where the buried stems produce more roots ?

Not sure about this but yes, i would think so.

On the subject of seed leaves, I've had a few this year that have popped out with three rather than two. Apparently this plant has a good chance of perming better, but won't pass neccesarily pass it on to it's seeds.

This is common with tomatoes too.

Interesting anyway, I'm going to mark the three leaf plants up.

Only tip I have with chilli seeds is don't bury them. Water the soil first then place on top. Sprinkle some dry soil like salt JUST to cover. I presume that applies to a lot of seeds but from experience what you will get away with' with a tomato doesn't apply to a chilli seed.

I often use vermiculite instead of soil to cover. It's cheap and helps to retain moisture. it also lets in air.

Some chillies on the window sill.

View attachment 39889

Good luck CG. Keep us posted ;)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am very keen on my allotment but have to buy the plants from a local grower as mine never seem to grow in my green house so some basic advice on starting off all types of veg from seed in my unheated greenhouse would be appreciated. Hoping to start some broad beans and summer cabbage in the next couple of weeks.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I am very keen on my allotment but have to buy the plants from a local grower as mine never seem to grow in my green house so some basic advice on starting off all types of veg from seed in my unheated greenhouse would be appreciated. Hoping to start some broad beans and summer cabbage in the next couple of weeks.

There is no reason for not being able to grow from seed BG.. Broad beans are easy, just make sure they are placed on their sides with the eye part sitting horizontally.

The golden rule with pretty much all seeds is to make sure that they are sewn only as deep down as the seed size is. EG broad beans about 1 inch and cabbages about 1-2mm down. Although not essential, most vegetable seeds benefit from some warmth if possible.

When you sow seeds either, water the compost before sowing, or sit your seed tray in another tray after sowing and allow the compost to soak up water for 20-30 mins.

Hope this helps?

Never water straight on top of freshly sewn seeds.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is no reason for not being able to grow from seed BG.. Broad beans are easy, just make sure they are placed on their sides with the eye part sitting horizontally.

The golden rule with pretty much all seeds is to make sure that they are sewn only as deep down as the seed size is. EG broad beans about 1 inch and cabbages about 1-2mm down. Although not essential, most vegetable seeds benefit from some warmth if possible.

When you sow seeds either, water the compost before sowing, or sit your seed tray in another tray after sowing and allow the compost to soak up water for 20-30 mins.

Hope this helps?

Never water straight on top of freshly sewn seeds.

Thanks I think that I breach all 3 of those as I usually just put them in a pot, probably too deep and water them. I hope to sow the broad beans end of next week.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

Thanks I think that I breach all 3 of those as I usually just put them in a pot, probably too deep and water them. I hope to sow the broad beans end of next week.

Broad beans can go in ASAP. I've got some that I overwintered and some I started off last week. I don't even like them!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I germinate my cucumbers later in the year, outside in the greenhouse.

Outside variety.

I found to my cost that germinating them inside then moving them out (even to the greenhouse) gives them much of a shock.

So outside it is, but not till July.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Should I start them at home indoors or in my unheated greenhouse up the allotment.

They don't need heat. Mine are in a cold frame. You can just sow them where they are to grow but if you do this then protect them from the mice. They would germinate quicker in the greenhouse and this is where I would start them off. Use toilet roll tubes to get them going and then just plant them straight out still in the tubes when they are about 3-4 inches tall. You will need to stake them to protect them from wind damage as they get taller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here