Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Child food hampers

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Political views aside. The government has done a lot wrong but please look at post 17 above. There are some despicable people abusing the benefits system which affects the decent ones adversely.

I agree there are despicable people in all walks of life at the bottom, middle and top. I think benefit fraudsters should be treated very very harshly so that the people who are trying to the right thing but have fallen on hard times can be helped. I do blame the current government for this, but I also believe that who ever you voted for in the last election the majority of people either on the left or the right who will be disgusted by this.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Political views aside. The government has done a lot wrong but please look at post 17 above. There are some despicable people abusing the benefits system which affects the decent ones adversely.

Exactly, but that is not what the punters want to read -they prefer to use any opportunity to have a dig.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I am with you on this. Wife works with a woman at RSCH whose husband also works but still get free school meals. When my children were young it was those most in need and parents not working. I suppose Im just a dinosaur who believes is you want children you ensure you can support them, Like you I await flaming.

What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but are later made redundant (increasing numbers of jobs are being lost due to automation)?
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but later have their wages cut by their employer, or have their hours reduced?
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but later have to give up work due to serious long-term illness?
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but one of them is killed in the line of duty (police officers, soldiers in Iraq, etc).
What about women who who can afford their kids when they start a family, but later end-up as single parents (only one income rather than two) because their husband became an alcoholic or compulsive gambler, or became violent, and she has to flee in fear of her life?

Funny, I was just reading an article about the link between Right-wing views and lack of emotional intelligence - people who can't empathise or understand those in worse circumstances than themselves tend to lack sympathy, and instead display hostility or want to punish them somehow: rather than thinking "There for the Grace of God go I. If things had gone wrong for me, that could be me in that awful situation. I'll count my blessings and be less judgemental".

Still, if you ever had kids, I trust you never claimed any Child Benefit - I'd hate to think that any of my taxes were used to help you feed your own offspring.

Is the oxygen a bit thin up there on the moral high ground, looking down sanctimoniously at others?

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Even if we put aside the ethics of your suggestion of people effectively being means-tested for the right to have a family, you are completely ignoring the possibility of changed circumstances.

What happens to children, born to tiberious-approved folk, who absolutely COULD afford to support them, but subsequently lose their jobs? Or get ill? Or have to retire through ill-health?

I've no idea if you are a dinosaur, and nobody has 'flamed' you, but your views are pretty ignorant.

I think it was me that suggested means testing, and my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, I was responding to Zeff’s equally sarcastic suggestion of of mass sterilisation.

Apart from all that I hope you’re family and you are ok? [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I agree there are despicable people in all walks of life at the bottom, middle and top. I think benefit fraudsters should be treated very very harshly so that the people who are trying to the right thing but have fallen on hard times can be helped. I do blame the current government for this, but I also believe that who ever you voted for in the last election the majority of people either on the left or the right who will be disgusted by this.

I cannot vote as I have lived abroad for more than 15 years but do agree with you.
However, it is not just the current government (who have managed to lose all the support they gained in 2019) at fault.The fraudsters and cheats have been at it for many years.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but are later made redundant (increasing numbers of jobs are being lost due to automation)?
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but later have their wages cut by their employer, or have their hours reduced?
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but later have to give up work due to serious long-term illness?
What about those who can afford their kids when they start a family, but one of them is killed in the line of duty (police officers, soldiers in Iraq, etc).
What about women who who can afford their kids when they start a family, but later end-up as single parents (only one income rather than two) because their husband became an alcoholic or compulsive gambler, or became violent, and she has to flee in fear of her life?

Funny, I was just reading an article about the link between Right-wing views and lack of emotional intelligence - people who can't empathise or understand those in worse circumstances than themselves tend to lack sympathy, and instead display hostility or want to punish them somehow: rather than thinking "There for the Grace of God go I. If things had gone wrong for me, that could be me in that awful situation. I'll count my blessings and be less judgemental".

Still, if you ever had kids, I trust you never claimed any Child Benefit - I'd hate to think that any of my taxes were used to help you feed your own offspring.

Is the oxygen a bit thin up there on the moral high ground, looking down sanctimoniously at others?

Talk of hypocrisy and virtue signalling.Had you bothered to read the poster's contribution properly, you might have seen that he was quite content with those most in need getting help. Of course there are situations such as you suggest when folk need temporary help, and I doubt that anyone would deny that. I suggest you change your reading material and then you won't come up with such simplistic statements.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Talk of hypocrisy and virtue signalling.Had you bothered to read the poster's contribution properly, you might have seen that he was quite content with those most in need getting help. Of course there are situations such as you suggest when folk need temporary help, and I doubt that anyone would deny that. I suggest you change your reading material and then you won't come up with such simplistic statements.

Really? I think the comments are totally justified and not convinced you understand what " virtue signalling means.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
This big time! Ignorance of the highest and let's hope hard times hit him soon for an abrupt wake up call.

just to add some context I have had times when i have been out of work and had to find ways to feed my children, Myself and my wife would go without so the children had food. Our choice. You may think it is ignorance but the person my wife works with has the latest iphone, not cheap and her choice. We ensured we provided for our children before ourselves. this was I admit over 30 years ago when society was different and people put up with some hardships. With regards to you comment about me falling on hard times if that makes you happy to wish on me than so be it, personally I wish you well.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
just to add some context I have had times when i have been out of work and had to find ways to feed my children, Myself and my wife would go without so the children had food. Our choice. You may think it is ignorance but the person my wife works with has the latest iphone, not cheap and her choice. We ensured we provided for our children before ourselves. this was I admit over 30 years ago when society was different and people put up with some hardships. With regards to you comment about me falling on hard times if that makes you happy to wish on me than so be it, personally I wish you well.

Don't try try to take some moral ground that doesn't exist about my ' hard times ' comment

Your damming statement is " . I suppose Im just a dinosaur who believes is you want children you ensure you can support them". What that totally ignores is that circumstances change.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I am not taking moral high ground at all just replying to your quote. It seems that you have your view of me which is fine. I wish you well as I would any person.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I am not taking moral high ground at all just replying to your quote. It seems that you have your view of me which is fine. I wish you well as I would any person.

But you won't wish me quite as well should my financial circumstances, through no fault of mine change unexpectedly to the extent that I have to receive some form of benefit?

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
But you won't wish me quite as well should my financial circumstances, through no fault of mine change unexpectedly to the extent that I have to receive some form of benefit?

There is no reasoning with you, I have never mentioned you having to receive benefit that is your assumption. It is obvious you have set you mind and cannot change it as such there is little point continuing a conversation. For what it worth I have paid into the tax system all my working life and expect when it comes to getting a pension it will be means tested and I will not qualify. this does not bother me as I have been able to make other arrangements via my work. I will leave this now as we will simply go round in circles. I would actually like to meet you so we could discuss this over a pint. I actually fully understand your view point. Oh and I can assure you I am not a fascist as has been mentioned earlier, but not by yourself.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
So we punish the kids by starving them because their parents have had them without having sufficient money. Yeah that will teach them.

Think you're missing the point. There is no need in this day and age to have kids you cannot at least feed.
Some in society now think its the governments responsibility to feed the kids - Its left wing bollocks

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Think you're missing the point. There is no need in this day and age to have kids you cannot at least feed.
Some in society now think its the governments responsibility to feed the kids - Its left wing bollocks

No I am not missing the point it is not the kids fault their parents took that decision so providing food for them to ensure they get fed a healthy meal is the right thing to do. Or are you saying we should starve the children to teach the parents a lesson?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Life happens. You have a good job, both people earning good money, have a couple of kids, then maybe one walks out of the marriage, leaving a single parent with one wage, which is maybe only part time, or unfortunately dies. The kids shouldn’t suffer for something that isn’t their fault.
Many people are furloughed or have lost their jobs through this Covid crisis. Kids are already in this world, and struggling because they had the misfortune to be born when the patents could afford them.

You are missing the point and being sanctimonious with it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Not sure how you can treat the fraudsters harshly though. If they have kids it will still be them that suffer.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Not sure how you can treat the fraudsters harshly though. If they have kids it will still be them that suffer.

You could be right! I don't have the answers, but the children who's parents spend food vouchers to feed their children on booze and cigarettes are probably not getting cared for very well anyway.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not interested in the debate around who qualifies and who doesn’t but I am absolutely ashamed that the unit cost of £30 allocated to the contractors appears to have resulted in about a fivers worth of food.

It’s absolutely disgusting that such profiteering from those in need can happen but all to be expected from this government who’s management style of EVERYTHING appears to be delegate and sub contract out whilst not bothering to do any checks on implementation or VFM.

i don't know the ins and outs of this but of the 30 quid probably 15 quid goes on admin , 5 quid on delivery , 3 quid on insurances leaving 7 quid for food .

its a great idea but it is also pretty damning that so many people can't feed their kids , what on earth has happened to our country.:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here