Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chicago, St.Louis, Milwaukee and Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 18477

We have tickets for Packers v Detroit on New year's Day at Lambeau.

you mean... Detroit @ Packers ;).

p.s. take some photos of your trip mate and whack them up on NSC. Always wanted to go to America to do a little travelling like yourself.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Very jealous - love Chicago! The weather there looks ok at the moment too - you may get lucky as it can get blooming freezing with the wind chill!

The Shedd Acquarium in Chicago is the bestest Acquarium ever!

I used this web site for up and coming Blues gigs too!

Blues Clubs

That Chicago Blues Guide is excellent - many thanks.

Even shows which Clubs are open on Christmas Day Evening.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'd love to tell you that St Louis is a fantastic city, but it just ain't.
A visit up the Arch is essential, as is a proper look round the Gateway museum underneath. Also try to get in to watch the "how they built the arch" film. Amazing.
St Louis is the home to the National Bowling Hall of Fame. Dull, Dull, Dull.
The Cardinals Stadium is fantastic.......... during the baseball season. I've never been there when there's no baseball. No idea why you would.
You can go on a tour of the Budweiser Brewery - if you like water strength lager.
Meanwhile I got shitfaced here Age Verification | Schlafly Beer

Have a good trip.

Paddy Finucane

WW2 Hero
Jul 26, 2004
Redhill
We have tickets for Packers v Detroit on New year's Day at Lambeau.

The lambeau stadium tour is a must - one good tip is to try and book the last or next to last tour of the day so the floodlights are on and the field looks special....

The Tailgating is great as well - you'll have a great time and remember to give Suh some stick at the game!!

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Lived in Milwaukee for near ten years...things to do here.
1. Friday night fish fry - the Lakefront Brewery has the best in town, plus their brewery tour is pretty sweet.
2. Miller Brewery Tour - Miller was and still is brewed in Milwaukee - take the tour and have a few free samples
3. Packer Game - on your list - Tailgating a must. Wrap up warm - you think that Chicago is cold, "The Tundra" is colder.
4. Tour Miller Park - an immense stadium. Possibly look to eat in the TGI Fridays that is part of the ground
5. Milwaukee Bucks - NBA season starts on Xmas day - tickets are cheap.
6. Visit the 3 Lions Pub - The only British Bar worth going to in Milwaukee. There are plenty of copycat Irish ones. Plus youll meet many a wise soul in there.
7. Visit the Art Museum. Famous for its spreading wings - was in Transformers 3.
8. Walk along the Riverfront - you'll bump in to Fonzie from Happy Days

Let me know if you want any more ideas such as places to eat, etc.

Cheers
Mark

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I'd love to tell you that St Louis is a fantastic city, but it just ain't.
A visit up the Arch is essential, as is a proper look round the Gateway museum underneath. Also try to get in to watch the "how they built the arch" film. Amazing.
St Louis is the home to the National Bowling Hall of Fame. Dull, Dull, Dull.
The Cardinals Stadium is fantastic.......... during the baseball season. I've never been there when there's no baseball. No idea why you would.
You can go on a tour of the Budweiser Brewery - if you like water strength lager.
Meanwhile I got shitfaced here Age Verification | Schlafly Beer

Have a good trip.

just about everything mentioned above is downtown which, as you may have gathered, is dull as dishwater (only not quite as safe).

definitely do the stadium tour - it makes no difference whether you do it during the season or not...OK, it'll be colder and during the season there's a 0.05% chance you'll get to meet a player or coach, but other than that a stadium is a stadium and it's interesting to see behind the scenes. they let you take pictures in the home dugout too...

i won't give you a list of places (can if you want though) but for food and drinks you need to head to the South City, Central West End or Soulard areas. there are some good places to eat downtown but it really is kind of dead down there so, if you're planning on hitting a few places in an evening, i'd head for one of those areas. that's where the cool people hang out. :)

edit: oh yeah, see a Blues game if you can (they have a couple of home games left this year). Blues fans are very vocal when the team is winning (which they are at the moment) so the atmosphere should be good.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Loved Chicago. Go to the grand lux on the magnificent mile for a fab lunch. Ginos east for the real deep pan pizza pie. I ordered a small And only just finished it. There's a comedy club over the road that is top drawer. Finally soldier field is superb. A new stadium built in the shell of the old one.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Lived in Milwaukee for near ten years...things to do here.
1. Friday night fish fry - the Lakefront Brewery has the best in town, plus their brewery tour is pretty sweet.
2. Miller Brewery Tour - Miller was and still is brewed in Milwaukee - take the tour and have a few free samples
3. Packer Game - on your list - Tailgating a must. Wrap up warm - you think that Chicago is cold, "The Tundra" is colder.
4. Tour Miller Park - an immense stadium. Possibly look to eat in the TGI Fridays that is part of the ground
5. Milwaukee Bucks - NBA season starts on Xmas day - tickets are cheap.
6. Visit the 3 Lions Pub - The only British Bar worth going to in Milwaukee. There are plenty of copycat Irish ones. Plus youll meet many a wise soul in there.
7. Visit the Art Museum. Famous for its spreading wings - was in Transformers 3.
8. Walk along the Riverfront - you'll bump in to Fonzie from Happy Days

Let me know if you want any more ideas such as places to eat, etc.

Cheers
Mark

Many thanks - we will be in Milwaukee on a Friday - I had read about Lakefront Brewey, so will be going there.
Will look into NBA tickets
Tailgate at Lambeau organised.

THanks for your help.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
No problem...
One thing I forgot to add was the Harley Davidson Museum. Harley has been in Milwaukee for years, the tour is top notch and the food in the bar across from it is very good.

The Miller Brewery Tour is free and only takes a couple of hours...

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Not too worried about the cold - we're well prepared. If you lived there for a year you must have some idea re Blues Clubs?

Going to St.Louis to see the Arch, and see the new Cardinals Stadium - even though there are no games you can still do the Stadium Tour.Also fancy doingthe Busch Brewery Tour.

Milwaukee is a stop off on the way to Green Bay - lots of Micro Breweries there I understand as well as their famous Friday Fish Fries.

Green Bay - Packers game - nothing else!!

St. Louis was better than we were expecting - the Arch is ok but the stadium is pretty impressive. The tour is great and shows you much more than most tours and takes you right down onto the pitch to the batter/bowling bit, or whatever the yanks call it. And there's a Hooters opposite the ground, apparently!

Re: the stadium, when I was there in 2007 they had plans to move it 100 yards away and redevelop it there.. not sure if that's happened, Barry Izbak may be able to tell you?

Chicago - can only echo what everyone else said, Sears/Willis Tower is the highlight, great views, esp of one of the stadiums (forget which).

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Loved Chicago when I did the marathon there in 2008.

Might be a bit cold for it when your there, but try the Architects River boat tour, its a great way of learing about the history of Chicago and its skyscrappers.

As it will be freezing, you might want to try a few places for a beer. Clarke Street Ale House was my local, and always good for a decent beer. Try out the Map Room too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here