Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chewits wrapper, or not?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Strange article and use of photos.

As for Dan Tester describing it as truly horrendous, he wouldn't be saying that if he had one for sale given the prices they go for and I maintain that if either the 'pink' or 'chewit' kit was made as a retro it would sell really well.

Why is the article 'strange'?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Those were the days when a good chuck of our first team was made up of local players, now we are lucky if several are even British.
You get arrested and thrown into jail nowadays if you are an English player.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This. I still LOVE that shirt.
Naturally, I concur… I’m thinking of emailing the club to produce a retro reissue of this one… I’d buy it and the f***ing shorts too.

By God it puts our current Nike era generic crap in the shade.

I wish we’d be a bit braver and go all crazy and/or deckchair again.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Naturally, I concur… I’m thinking of emailing the club to produce a retro reissue of this one… I’d buy it and the f***ing shorts too.

By God it puts our current Nike era generic crap in the shade.

I wish we’d be a bit braver and go all crazy and/or deckchair again.
Yeah, I might stop short there.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Imagine coming from Brighton and going to an away match nowadays with NOBO written across your chest. Imagine even buying such a thing. Just saying :shrug:
I’ve got a book somewhere with a photo of a Gillingham fan wearing this shirt, he’s also wearing a jacket that isn’t done up.
No prizes for guessing but only 4 letters of the sponsor are on show :lolol:

IMG_1217.jpeg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I really liked this kit, still have the shirt and it fits!. It was replaced for the play off final by the chewit kit, which was awful along with the matching shorts, which were adopted the following season.
The striped shorts from the home kit were a novelty and just about worked, the chewit shorts were hideous relegation fodder.
The Chewit really needed matching socks to make it work properly.

Loved the deckchair though.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep. Dan Testers ducked up there. Basics. Basics Dan….

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Dan’s article is factually accurate.
We wore the NOBO ‘Chewits’ top for the one and only time for the Wembley game - hence ‘nearly promoted in the Chewits wrapper’ wording.

That season’s official away top is on display here - the swirly red/white (pink) photos of the team in the article - and these were taken the week before the final…. John Crumplin’s chicken pox not yet showing.

As mentioned by Dan above, the black and white pic highlights the first wearing of the Chewits top.

The following August we launched the TSB Chewits away top.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
As an aside, when it was hot and the Chewit wrappers were nigh on impossible to remove, I used to consume them along with the sweet itself.
Same with 8-a-penny Blackjacks and Fruit Salads, in earlier times.
:LOL:
Interesting. Ever eaten a Bazooka Joe cartoon?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As an aside, when it was hot and the Chewit wrappers were nigh on impossible to remove, I used to consume them along with the sweet itself.
Same with 8-a-penny Blackjacks and Fruit Salads, in earlier times.
Freak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here