Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cheltenham Festival 2023

Jul 7, 2003
Great day for the bookies with not one favourite coming in. Had Stage Star but a little each way pickup was my only other result today.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Great day for the bookies with not one favourite coming in. Had Stage Star but a little each way pickup was my only other result today.
Stage Star and 3 e/w placed plus a place acca for me …a real “could’ve been” kind of day

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
1.30 no bet (7 runners for Mullins)
2.10 Filey Bay e/w
2.50 no bet
3.30 Bravemansgame e/w
4.10 Vaucelot
4.50 Impervious
5.30 Cool Survivor

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
It's Friday already, been a decent week, hopefully go out with a few winners but it's another tricky looking day.

Triumph Hurdle - the Willie Mullins show with seven of the fifteen runners, he has the first four in the betting. I'll take my chance on the third of those in the betting, Gala Marceau 9/2. She beat Lossiemouth at Leopardstown last time in a decent race, they are using excuses for the runner up but Gala looks the better one to me. Tough race with a lot of potential improvers in it.

County Hurdle - it's a pin job again. My pin has been busy with Sharjah at 12/1 (best price 9/1 now), Ballyadam 22/1 (12/1 best now), Wonderwall 16/1 and Aucunrisque 25/1.

Albert Bartlett - Corbetts Cross 5/1 looks the one to beat here for Emmett Mullins. Three wins in a row over distances from 2 miles to 3 miles, he's a versatile chap and got a touch of class. He should have too much speed at the end for these plodders.

Gold Cup - I backed A Plus Tard a few hours after his win last year at 5/1 and he rocks up here at 9/2 after shortening yesterday after Envoi Allen won for the stable yesterday, shrewd ante post punting !! The slightly quicker going will suit him and as he showed last year he's good enough to win this. Happy to take on the fav who fell at the festival last year as he still has questions to answer about his stamina for me.

This is where the festival ends really as the rest of the races are properly shite ones......

Hunter Chase - Famous Clermont 7/1 the one to take the fav on with but only a small play as an awful race that really is the shit after the Lord Mayors show.

Mares Chase - I backed Impervious 3/1 a few days ago, not sure I'd back it at the current 2/1 though. Her form looks decent and I favour her over the fav and thinks she might actually go off as fav.

Martin Pipe - pins out again - Iroko 10/1 looks very progressive for the Oliver Greenall stable with a couple of easy wins under his belt. He may well have more to come and his mark of 138 maybe very generous, but you do need about ten pounds in hand to win races like this.

Good luck
icon_biggrin.gif

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My systems have thrown up 3 today, Bravemansgame in the big one, Billaway in the 16:10 and Allegorie de Vassy in the 16:50.
I suspect the value bet in the Gold Cup is Minella Indo e/w - 18/1 at the moment and his preparation has been better than A Plus Tard. Be interesting to see how Noble Yeats and Hewick get on too.

Jul 7, 2003
Auconrisque e/w, Three Card Brag and Vaucelet

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wonder if that jockey was a palace fan, he didn't mind the gap, opps

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My first experience of Cheltenham, been here for the last 2 days. Great occasion, won a few bets and lost a lot more. Lots of drunk people having a great time and didn’t see any trouble. Never seen so many tarts and Thomas Shelby lookalikes in one place.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Festival was cruel to me -£56 and that's with a quid E/W on Fly Away Fay, can't remember picking so many losers in Lucky 15 bets,good job I'm a small stakes punter I'd of been shirtless. Major Dundee in the Midlands national will buff up my balance tomorrow hopefully.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Thoroughly enjoyed the week, some cagey E/W betting taking advantage of the 5places paid and 6places paid offers has seen me out the other side …. Just!

Had a great time on Tuesday, spent nearly the whole meeting down on/near the rails close to the finish line with my horse mad teenage daughter

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Thank you Billy for your informed insights even the pins you used proved profitable, certainly have paid for our trip down to Brighton for the weekend to watch the game on Sunday that's for sure .

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Thank you Billy for your informed insights even the pins you used proved profitable, certainly have paid for our trip down to Brighton for the weekend to watch the game on Sunday that's for sure .
I only use expensive pins so they should be good:giggle: Tens of hours of form study over the past week or so helps a bit too as does the huge pieces of luck you need to find a Cheltenham handicap winner. Good Time Jonny was testament to that given he was nearly taken out at the second hurdle and looked a rather unlikely winner as they turned for home. Certainly my highlight of the punting week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here