Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cheltenham Festival 2023

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Took my £20 winnings and put £15 on Gaillard and the rest on Chemical Energy E/W. Got a bit lucky there but can’t complain!

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
tomorrow -

1.30 Impaire et Passe
2.10 Gerri Colombe
2.50 no bet
3.30 no bet
4.10 Delta Work
4.50 Third Time Lucki
5.30 A Dream to Share/It's For Me

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Well, day one turned out ok
icon_biggrin.gif

Ballymore - Good Land 13/2, unfortunately now 7/2, can take this for Barry Connell and Micheal O'Sullivan to land the novice hurdle double with yesterdays Supreme winner. He's very confident that he's the best horse in the race and his form is decent. The fav has only had two runs and very happy to take him on. Paul Nicholls and Harry Cobden really like theirs but the British novice hurdlers in the Supreme were unsighted so more than happy to take him on too.

Brown Advisory - I cannot desert Sir Gerhard 11/2 after backing him in his previous festival wins in the Bumper and Ballymore in the last two years. He's had just the one run over fences but won nicely enough. He's only lost twice in his life, both at the Punchestown festival after hard seasons but he will come here fresh and I think he's the one they have to beat.

Coral Cup - Charles Byrnes hit the crossbar with Byker yesterday but Run For Oscar 8/1 can put him in the winners enclosure Today. He won the Cesarewitch last year and has run well in two handicap hurdles this season. Not seen out this year but will be tuned to the minute Today. I've also backed HMS Seahorse each way at 11/1 for the Nolan stable. He came 4th in the Boodles last year and has decent form this year.

Champion Chase - not had a bet in this as can't see an angle with only two places being paid. The front two in the betting look short enough and hope Enermugene wins for Tony Bloom.

Cross Country - no interest in this at all.

Grand Annual - Two against the maximum field here. Andy Dufresne 7/1 came second in this last season and maybe able to go one better this time with some luck in running, which will be needed here. He's run ok this season but this will have been the aim and he has a tongue strap on for the first time, to help his breathing. My other one is Before Midnight 20/1 each way. His form has been ok this season and he comes here wearing cheekpieces and a tongue strap for the first time. He's won over course and distance too and I can see him running well.

Bumper - no interest in this.

Good luck:)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Got a Impaire Et Passe & Delta Work double and singles on Delta Work & Enermugene

Debating a Enermugene/Brighton double too.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Don't think I've ever been up after the first day but I find myself + £41 including my £11 outlay.

I also like Andy Dufrense today, Delta Work , Hermes Allen and Sir Gerhard will complete my Lucky 15 and a E/W on Anything with the name Max in it as usual.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Had such a great time at Cheltenham yesterday, brought back so many good memories of years gone by, as it always does and to take Miss junior for the first time made it very special.

Betting wise not good and if I hadn’t jumped ship and backed Marine Nationale in the first, I wouldn’t have had a winner at all apart from Chemical Energy placing.

Too long in the tooth now to let that change the way I approach racing but I was very clearly wrong about the merits of Epitante and Honeysuckle… couldn’t have been more wrong🙄

Whilst Constitution Hill was impressive enough, I was expecting more (not just because I backed 10 lengths + and he won by 9 with Nico showboating before the line)
I thought both the Supreme and the Chsmpion were run at an unusually slow pace?

Clearly Timeform agree with the performance as they have left his rating unchanged

@Billy Seagull - be interested in your thoughts re ground

What did you make of the ground, it was clearly dead but I saw no mud flying at all for it to be soft.. wondered if times were more to do with slow riding tactics than ground as they make no sense to me (not a drop of rain on course all through the card)
3 races slow 10secs
3 races slow 20secs
What’s El Fabiolo then if he was only slow 3 secs?

Thought the Chsmpion was a crawl and the mares even worse

For what it’s worth I will post some thoughts on todays races shortly but I’m in no form at all. Really annoyed with the whole Mullins sideshow, the man has single handedly ruined AntePost betting on the festival over the last decade or so and to see him have 10 runners in todays bumper is gutting… how can you back one of his if he thinks all 10 might win it?

When I looked at the meeting a couple of weeks back he had 7 in supreme 8 in balleymore etc etc

Jul 7, 2003
Poor day yesterday, my luck was summed up with Mahler Mission falling when five lengths clear in the last.

Some horrible races to pick from today but a couple of each way chances with Adamantly Chosen in the 2:10 and Ecanto Bruno in the Bumper. Hermes Allen is probably my bet of the day.

Jul 7, 2003
Weather forecast for the next couple of days seems to be quite wet so could impact on selections later in the week.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The only 2 to come up in my systems today are Delta Work in the Cross Country and Editeur du Gite in the big one. Hmmm.
I assume there is no frost down there - was -6 here last night!

Jul 7, 2003
The only 2 to come up in my systems today are Delta Work in the Cross Country and Editeur du Gite in the big one. Hmmm.
I assume there is no frost down there - was -6 here last night!
Was frosty first thing looking at pictures on The Morning Show

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Had such a great time at Cheltenham yesterday, brought back so many good memories of years gone by, as it always does and to take Miss junior for the first time made it very special.

Betting wise not good and if I hadn’t jumped ship and backed Marine Nationale in the first, I wouldn’t have had a winner at all apart from Chemical Energy placing.

Too long in the tooth now to let that change the way I approach racing but I was very clearly wrong about the merits of Epitante and Honeysuckle… couldn’t have been more wrong🙄

Whilst Constitution Hill was impressive enough, I was expecting more (not just because I backed 10 lengths + and he won by 9 with Nico showboating before the line)
I thought both the Supreme and the Chsmpion were run at an unusually slow pace?

Clearly Timeform agree with the performance as they have left his rating unchanged

@Billy Seagull - be interested in your thoughts re ground

What did you make of the ground, it was clearly dead but I saw no mud flying at all for it to be soft.. wondered if times were more to do with slow riding tactics than ground as they make no sense to me (not a drop of rain on course all through the card)
3 races slow 10secs
3 races slow 20secs

What’s El Fabiolo then if he was only slow 3 secs?

Thought the Chsmpion was a crawl and the mares even worse

For what it’s worth I will post some thoughts on todays races shortly but I’m in no form at all. Really annoyed with the whole Mullins sideshow, the man has single handedly ruined AntePost betting on the festival over the last decade or so and to see him have 10 runners in todays bumper is gutting… how can you back one of his if he thinks all 10 might win it?

When I looked at the meeting a couple of weeks back he had 7 in supreme 8 in balleymore etc etc
I thought it was pretty dead and very sticky. Horses stopped very quickly when they had cried enough and plenty pulled up.
Going to be hard work all week I feel.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Hermes Allen and Gerri Colombe. I’m not opposed to the Coral Cup or the Grand Annual for betting heats generally but can’t find anything this year. No fan of the cross country but accept that it adds to the festival for some people. Backed Greanateen as well and that’s it for me- quiet day today. Love the bumper, had some great winners over the years and some huge losses ( most recently appreciate it!) but this years race is a fiasco

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm probably the only punter in the world down on yesterday's results don't really fancy anything much so will just have a few Bob on Fun Fun Fun,I wonder if Mr Bloom will be there today to lead in his winning horse,I guess he could make it back for the game via helicopter.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Well that was interesting in the light of Paul Nicholls’ comments before the first race. Hermes Allen’s rider Harry Cobden asked on ITV Racing after the Ballymore about the favourite’s disappointing run in fifth said: “[That was] a stop and start race … tactics from Willie Mullins!”

Sour grapes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here