[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
According to the commentator here in Norway, that’s the rule!
If the decision is overturned in that situation the defending team gets an indirect free kick.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I didn't realise he had given it! Sky Sports said he didn't, stream I was watching said he didn't.. It definitely wasn't one either.

Still an absolutely ridiculous rule.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
They need to change the wording of the review so people have some idea of what is going on. Checking potential penalty is useless. Checking award of penalty and checking non award of penalty would make more sense.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Didn’t see the incident properly. Did the ref award a penalty and then VAR overturn it? If so, did the ref really award the penalty quickly enough that the ball hadn’t gone out for a corner by the time he blew his whistle?

If the above is how it happened, I get that the rules have been followed properly but still it seems massively unfair to not get the corner.
I was thinking that, but in other circumstances (where the ball remains in play) I don't think there's a logical alternative.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Didn’t see the incident properly. Did the ref award a penalty and then VAR overturn it? If so, did the ref really award the penalty quickly enough that the ball hadn’t gone out for a corner by the time he blew his whistle?

If the above is how it happened, I get that the rules have been followed properly but still it seems massively unfair to not get the corner.
Even if he had let it go out, and then given it I believe it restarts with a drop

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I didn't realise he had given it! Sky Sports said he didn't, stream I was watching said he didn't.. It definitely wasn't one either.

Still an absolutely ridiculous rule.
He did a little limp wristed point in the direction of the penalty spot. Ambiguous at best

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
To be fair, we've rode our luck a little in the last couple of games...it was always going to come back and bite us.
But we didn't get unlucky today? Poor defending in the first 25 minutes but played fine, not great but better than Chelsea and they got away with not having to play with 9 men

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What the actual f*** was that second half?!

I was in emotional tumult at half time...I don't know what the word is to describe what I'm feeling now.

That end of the match penalty/corner/goal kick thing feels like the 2023 version of that man utd after the final whistle penalty.

What was going on at the end? Who was kicking off? Sanchez was giving it some? To our players? Staff fans?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Except we didn't, we were shit on Thursday too.
We are running on fumes with players that shouldn't be anywhere near the first team yet because we have an unprecedented injury list. Seriously - we didn't play well on Thursday but they played themselves into the ground to get a win. What is wrong with some of our fans?

Jimmy Grimble

Disgrace of a refereeing performance. Complete f***ing moron.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Has there ever been a VAR recommendation that the referee should take a look at the TV replay that results in the on pitch referee telling VAR to F$¥@ Off
I wish I had not asked this question before our penalty/corner shout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports