Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea v Brighton - officialls mic'd up

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Howard Webb addressed this game. Interesting points

- accepts after the colwill non penalty, game should have restarted with a corner

- admits many felt the mudryk/milner penalty didnt reach the bar for var to intervene (although he thought it did). Explains why Milner not sent off as he was attempting a footballing challenge rather than a pull or a push

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having watch the Milner one again, I'd be seething if we hadn't been given that. And that's always the benchmark, how you would feel if it wasn't given for your team.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Having watch the Milner one again, I'd be seething if we hadn't been given that. And that's always the benchmark, how you would feel if it wasn't given for your team.
We have had similar not given on basis didnt meet threshold for var to intervene.

So on that basis I am still pissed off about it. I do think its a hard one for onfield ref to give due to angles/speed

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Watching that gives quite a bit more context and makes the decision far more understandable. They discussed it clearly and calmly - and rationally. Actually gives me quite a bit more confidence to be honest. If only we could see this at the time!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Whilst it's good to hear the process, this propaganda is slightly ridiculous. I'd love to hear, for example, the process that meant the VAR was absolutely certain that Hinshelwood fouled the Forest player and it was definitely a penalty or why Palace got a penalty at the weekend but Arsenal didn't. VAR have no business getting involved in any of our recent penalty decisions for or against. I'm not, for example, convinced Burnley's was a pen on Sat but I'm more than happy to go with the ref's on field decision. Same if he had penalised Hinsh onfield or not given the one against Pedro v Forest. Just leave well alone unless its a glaring error as they should have done with the Milner one until they looked at multiple angles in slow motion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We have had similar not given on basis didnt meet threshold for var to intervene.

So on that basis I am still pissed off about it. I do think its a hard one for onfield ref to give due to angles/speed
Yep, that's nailed it. It's fine (or not) so long as that's the threshold for every EPL game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
to coin a phrase, "Good Process"

Yeah that was very well done to be fair.
Can't help but feel that was a fairly straight forward one to discuss though.
Not massively contentious.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Much more robust process…….but we should be able to hear that as it happens.
Not sure I want to hear 5 minutes of some ref talking to someone watching on a TV in super slow mo. Not going to make any difference anyway, the will still mess it up

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure I want to hear 5 minutes of some ref talking to someone watching on a TV in super slow mo. Not going to make any difference anyway, the will still mess it up
Better than 5 minutes of no clue what’s going on……and would also force the Magoo Crew to up their game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting to hear the explanation of why it wasn't a red.
I recall Liverpool fans insisting Gross should have been sent off for a similar challenge.

If you are attempting to out muscle the player as part of an attempt to get to the ball it's ok.

Seems perfectly sensible to me.
Particularly after Haaland's assault on Webster wasn't seen as sufficient to overturn his goal last season.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
One thing to remember here is that this is selective transparency. There are many many more incidents not broadcast. Even in the end Webb admits that many are judgement still. Mudryk/Milner being one where did it meet the bar of clear and obvious is admitted as being one of differing opinions.

I do agree that it explains this particular issue well. But I am not convinced it explains the lack of consistency well and a better presenter than Michael Owen would have perhaps gone down that line. There is a reason why he is doing it and its nothing to do with anybody thinking he is a great presenter

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here