Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea - up for sale, Roman Abramovich sanctioned, not up for sale etc

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How exactly is Abramovich closely implicated in enabling the invasion !!

What rubbish - you have zero proof & I strongly suspect he was against the war . Why would he by for it, he’s earning a fortune through his energy companies & does a lot of charity work . None of it he needs to do. He is clever yes as he’s used Putin and manufactured a friendship to help him massively but that doesn’t mean he agrees with the invasion . Far from it .

If you play with the devil you need to be prepared to get burnt. It's him and his rich mates who need to deal with/kill/imprison/disappear Putin and end the war.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The threshold for sanctions is very high and the Oligarchs have been utilising the very best and most expensive legal minds in London to head this off.

They have failed.

This hasn't been done so that the Oligarchs can pressure Putin to change direction. I presume the Government, the USA and the EU are working on that basis that a number of assets and money frozen are actually owned by Putin.

He is rumoured to be one of the richest people on the planet.

funny how the narrative changes.
if Putin owns a lot of assets thats really another matter, should be looking at those assets and is not the stated grounds for the sanction. Abramovich is known to hold some assets which is the basis of the sanctions, because he owns 28% of a company that provides metal to a nation state, that uses that metal to built tanks and invade a country. you might agree that requires a sanction (i dont disagree), confiscation of their assets based on accusation they may or may not have been influential is undemocractic, and needs at least some form of legal court process.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reuters reporting Three have asked Chelsea to suspend their sponsorship and remove their logo from shirts and the stadium.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Beat me to it. I assume this would involve them withholding any payments due.

Don’t know exactly what the sanctions order says, but if Chelsea is explicitly captured (and unless the licence permits it) Three’s bankers won’t be able to make any payments to the club anyway as they would be breaching the sanctions order

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If the PL had any sort of moral compunction they would see this as a watershed moment and ensure that all owners, foreign or uk based were genuinely fit, proper and could demonstrate that their funding was generated by lawful means. It should mean an end to the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Everton and most recently Newcastle being funded by nations and individuals who don’t share the values of the communities they inject themselves into - free speech, free press, inclusivity etc etc. I know there are legal issues, I know there are grey areas but we all knew Chelsea’s money stank and we all know that is true of others. I am not holding my breath though…..

This.

And overnight, with their local fan owner, the Albion would become a top four club in the rich list.

I was prepared to lump it when during the last 25 years numerous clubs, culminating even in Newcastle, became 'legally' foreign-owned, their stadia transformed and their ranks swolen by the world's elite players. However, now, if the tide turns, call me a b'stard, but what's not to like?

And why stop there? French-owned rail, American-owned media...

:shrug:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

What rubbish - you have zero proof & I strongly suspect he was against the war . Why would he by for it, he’s earning a fortune through his energy companies does a lot of charity work . None of it he needs to do. He is clever yes as he’s used Putin and manufactured a friendship to help him massively but that doesn’t mean he agrees with the invasion . Far from it .

Will people please start taking into account this Putin-licker's bit of charity work and give him his money back?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What rubbish - you have zero proof & I strongly suspect he was against the war . Why would he by for it, he’s earning a fortune through his energy companies & does a lot of charity work . None of it he needs to do. He is clever yes as he’s used Putin and manufactured a friendship to help him massively but that doesn’t mean he agrees with the invasion . Far from it .

On what basis do you suspect he 'is against the war'?

RA has become rich because of his association with Putin. Do you think he is where he is because he's some sort of brilliant entrepreneur?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I expect journalists will now be able to report the true extent of his involvement with Putin without fear of censorship from lawyers or worse.
Anyone who thinks he did not get where he was without Putin’s blessing is naive and he would still be paying a price back.
Charity work and ownership of Chelsea were vehicles for him to gain UK status and protection, hiding in plain sight.
Pity it took the UK government so long to act, but then again that shows how his money had integrated him into UK public life.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Don’t know exactly what the sanctions order says, but if Chelsea is explicitly captured (and unless the licence permits it) Three’s bankers won’t be able to make any payments to the club anyway as they would be breaching the sanctions order

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hahahahahahahahahaha...............ha

Poor old chelski, never saw that coming..........................much.:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If nothing else, I'll be delighted not to see that gormless, gurning mug of his staring out blankly across the pitch every time he attends a game. I've seen more animation in a broken dishwasher.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
will they run out of cash to pay the wages and then be "allowed" to sell the odd player on the cheap to keep going ... see Derby last transfer window ...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Clearly every football fan wants Chelsea to suffer / lose / drop places etc

But surely any pleasure to be taken from this has nothing to do with football. Because who cares about football clubs when maternity wards are being bombed and chemical weapons may be used.

I can't stand Chelsea, but this is positive as it reduces the soft power of the oligarchs who support Putin, not because it harms Chelsea football club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here